Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010

leilaanne is on a distinguished road
Post Lessons for a newbie

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and would like to get some expert advice on sailing lessons (based on experience and knowledge) from those who know. I currently have this topic posted on my own website and am really looking for experienced advice. All advice is appreciated, but I am most looking for those who have already been through the beginning stages of sailing and those who know what safety hazards exist based on experience. I figured that the sailing forums were the place to post the question. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Sailnet

You can learn sailing in many ways, but I prefer learning from proper instructional courses. Find yourself a good sailing school either uses ASA or US training method. Once you get through the beginner courses, go sailing and read as many books as you can from technical to sailing adventure story books Here on this forum, there are many good and knowledgeable captains. Read their posts and learn from there. I have learned a lot here.

Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-15-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
I did what rockDAWG says in his post and I joined the boat club that was offered through my school so I didn't need to purchase a boat right away. Worked out great for me as I am close to the lake I sail on. Going to get my ASA 103/104 at the end of the month in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior. Do as suggested, take your ASA 101 and read as much as you can and get out and sail. See if you can help crew some races if you don't have access to a boat. Welcome to Sailinet and sailing!

rockDAWG: What is ASA 102?

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Many people teach themselves, and most succeed. Although their road is usually a slower one. Some get into bad habits without even knowing it. It's much safer, and much quicker to use a structured course. Just the first ASA101 can open a safe door for you.

I sailed on other peoples boats, and finally came to the conclusion I wanted to learn. I was just a grunt, and took instructions without knowing why it was done.

I lived in S.F. Ca. when I took my lessons. They were 101,102, and coastal. In 3 months I had my own 30 ftr. In another 15 months later I was singlehanding my way to Mexico. BEST WISHES if it is your desire to learn........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-15-2010

cwyckham is on a distinguished road
Where are you? All posts so far apply to Americans as far as specific agencies and courses. General philosophy will be the same anywhere, though. I'd also highly recommend combining a beginner's course with lots of reading, then go and practice lots before doing your next course.
Old 08-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that outside of the USA, the RYA type courses are well regarded. If you're in the USA, the ASA courses may make more sense, since their curriculum and focus is more on cruising than racing. In any case, getting at least a basic learn to sail course under your belt and getting a good book, like Dave Seidman's The COmplete Sailor, are a good start.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-16-2010

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
I would also like to point out that in Canada, the well-regarded CYA teaches very similar courses to the ASA courses. In fact, each will give credit for the other's courses. I took the CYA courses up through basic coastal cruising back in the '80s.
Pasadena, MD
Old 08-16-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
rockDAWG: What is ASA 102?
Oh Yeah.... I forgot. That was a special one on one training session after the class at her apartment.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.