Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
my nimble 30 express is about 7,000 lbs i pull the keel stepped mast with the marina's crane , with help from 3 friends. i leave it there for the winter. they load the boat on my 9'000lb cap 6 wheel trailer. i tow it home with my dodge 1500 850 ft up & 25 miles to my house.(315 engine)
Old 10-08-2010

TNDiver is on a distinguished road
Hake Seawind Eagle, 32 foot and trailerable with a 3/4 ton truck. Most owners have given up their dagger board in favor of permanently mounting a keel which screws up the trailerability. Hake also has an apparatus to step and unstep the mast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2010

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Backing Up Trailer

I do not know how much trailer handling you have done. When I was a kid I used to help my uncle on a farm. Eventually on a tractor I could look over my shoulder while backing up and just automatically turn the steering wheel to make the trailer go where I wanted it. With my day sail I can look out the back window and still have that reflex, but on a larger sailboat I have to use mirrors which meant I have to think about what I am doing and backing up becomes frustrating and time consuming. Eventually I hope using mirrors will become reflexive also. Those folks that whip into a U turn at the boat launch ramp and back in there at a really fast walk without having to pull ahead occasionally because the trailer turns too sharpely have a lot of practice. It helps to have someone guide you who is not overly excitable. I find I cannot depend on my wife for help backing up.
Old 10-08-2010

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Overloading Tow Vehicle

To who it may concern: If you want to exceed the recommended limits in your vehicle owners manual for trailer weight, be aware that spring loading, brakes, engine power, radiator, automatic transmission cooling, steering, frame strength, accelleration, steepness of hills (boat ramp?) and other items are all considerations engineers take into account when putting a limit on what a vehicle can tow. In recent years manufacturers of pickup trucks have let the marketing people push the engineers into increasing the load limit with no changes in basic design. If I had a good cooling system, a really long trailer hitch so the tow vehicle is not jerked around as much, and electric brakes that are strong enough to lock up when applied manually, or hydraulic that lock up when disconnect from trailer ball is sensed, then I feel I could push it some on weight if I kept the speed down. However, If I were really sensible, I would buy a vehicle with 30% more towing capacity than recommended in the owners manual if the vehicle is less than 15 years old and be a lot more relaxed while towing. If I bought a 1995 Ford F350 diesel dually (which I have), I would not exceed the owner’s manual limit of 10,000 on the back bumper and forget the 30%. I prefer a manual transmission because I would not have to worry about an automatic blowing up on the road. Also, keep in mind that many of the diesel engines used in pickup trucks are commercial engines that are good for 1,000,000 miles with a valve job at 500,000.
Old 10-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd also add that many boat manufacturers are a bit optimistic on the loads that their boats on trailers actually represent. Most boat specifications are a bit on the light side, especially if you consider that the listed displacement is often the "light" weight and generally doesn't account for your gear, clothing, etc., or things like dinghies, sails, fuel, water etc. The "loaded" configuration weight is often 500-1000 lbs. heavier than what is listed, especially as you get boats >25' LOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperiorGeezer View Post
To who it may concern: If you want to exceed the recommended limits in your vehicle owners manual for trailer weight, be aware that spring loading, brakes, engine power, radiator, automatic transmission cooling, steering, frame strength, accelleration, steepness of hills (boat ramp?) and other items are all considerations engineers take into account when putting a limit on what a vehicle can tow. In recent years manufacturers of pickup trucks have let the marketing people push the engineers into increasing the load limit with no changes in basic design. If I had a good cooling system, a really long trailer hitch so the tow vehicle is not jerked around as much, and electric brakes that are strong enough to lock up when applied manually, or hydraulic that lock up when disconnect from trailer ball is sensed, then I feel I could push it some on weight if I kept the speed down. However, If I were really sensible, I would buy a vehicle with 30% more towing capacity than recommended in the owners manual if the vehicle is less than 15 years old and be a lot more relaxed while towing. If I bought a 1995 Ford F350 diesel dually (which I have), I would not exceed the owner’s manual limit of 10,000 on the back bumper and forget the 30%. I prefer a manual transmission because I would not have to worry about an automatic blowing up on the road. Also, keep in mind that many of the diesel engines used in pickup trucks are commercial engines that are good for 1,000,000 miles with a valve job at 500,000.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-08-2010

TheWhiteRabbit is on a distinguished road
How about this bad-boy. I think these have a rep as "blue-water" boats, but if you don't want to sail it to the next destination, well hell, just drive it!!!

1981 27ft. Norsea Sailboat
Old 10-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Norsea 27 is very seaworthy and I'm a bit puzzled as to how one ended up in Montana...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-08-2010

TheWhiteRabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
and I'm a bit puzzled as to how one ended up in Montana...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too...There is a huge lake, Flathead lake, in NW MT, but otherwise..... I guess that's why he wanted a trailer-able sailboat, its a loooong way from MT to the ocean.....