Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010

krcrandall is on a distinguished road
74 Coronado 45 solid trade?

Hello! Id like to start by saying I know nothing about sailing, however learn fast and hope to get started. Im a Marine stationed in New Orleans, and purchased a 35' motorhome last year to live in. I have an offer to trade me a 1974 Coronado 45ft sailboat for my motorhome which is worth around $21,000. I know this is a single mast, central a/c, good rigging, brand new sail, good motor, and solid hull. The interior does need to be restored, and sea life needs to be scraped off the bottom. I was contemplating taking the trade, removing the boat from the water for about a year, and restoring it. I realize I would have to keep it at a marina, being to big to take anywhere by land. My long term (2 years when I get off my first contract in the USMC) plan would be to circumnavigate with this ship. ANY information is greatly appreciated..

Is it a solid trade?
Is this not a good vessel to take around the world?
Any specific things to look at when I see it in a few weeks?
I'll also need to sail this from Panama City, FL to New Orleans, LA when I purchase it..I'm assuming I'll have to find someone to help me do this, as I've never sailed before. Again, thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Krcrandall,

First, welcome to Sailnet!

Second, thanks for your service in the USMC.

As for your questions: It may be difficult for us to judge whether this is a good trade or not. Not too many of us know much about the valuation of motorhomes in general. Even with respect to the sailboat, where many of us have some good knowledge, it can be tricky to offer a useful opinion without more particulars.

Boats, especially older ones like this Coronado, can vary widely in value. Condition, maintenance, upgrades all factor in. Some boats of this vintage may actually have negative value (meaning they are a liability to dispose of) if they have been neglected. On the other hand, if they have been well maintained and steadily upgraded over the years, they can represent good value.

Regarding trades, we get this question fairly regularly. The conventional wisdom seems to be that taking a trade can be a very limiting approach. In other words, you get stuck with the model boat that is being offered in trade, whether or not it is what you want or the right one for your purposes.

I think most folks would recommend selling on the open market, getting the most you can for the motorhome, and then using that money to shop around on the open market and buy the best boat for you. Right now, with no sailing experience at all, it will be difficult to know what is right for you. It is fairly unlikely that this Coronado being offered on trade just happens to be the right one.

That said, again, it's hard for us to say absolutely one way or another without more info. So I will end with additional cautionary words about maintenance, storage, and upkeep of large boats: It can be very expensive. You could easily expend $3-5K in storage fees alone at a marina -- depending where you keep it -- in one year. So please do the research and make sure you understand what you're getting into, financially. Big boats are not like RVs, that can be left parked in the driveway.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If he's offering a 45' boat in trade for something with a street value of $21,000, you're likely getting a boat that needs some serious work done on it. I'd point out that a Coronado is not a bluewater capable boat generally speaking. I'd also point out that a 45' boat is generally not a great sailboat to learn to sail on.

If you are seriously considering doing this to any degree, I'd highly recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether this boat is worth looking at further.

One final word: A cheap sailboat is often the most expensive thing you can buy.... refurbishing a boat, especially a lower-end boat like a Coronado 45, can end up costing far more than the boat could ever hope to be worth. In many ways, such boats can actually have a NEGATIVE VALUE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-23-2010

Coronado45 is on a distinguished road
I have a Coronado 45 and know it inside and out. It's a great coastal cruiser but as mentioned above starting out with a 45 is a huge chunk to bite off. However, to answer your question directly; if all of the rigging is in good working order, there are limited blisters below the water line, the shaft and prop are good, keel bolts are not too rusted and the inside of the boat is clean then generally speaking this would be grounds for a good trade (you mentioned motor and sails are good).

If everything checked out then a guess at the value of the boat cleaned up would be at least $40g on the lower end. If the top side does not have stress cracks and the inside is super clean with all rigging, sails, shaft, prop, engine, etc in great shape you might top as high as 70g.

The posts above offer VERY good advice. My response was intended only to try and match a value to the boat from the info you provided. I'd like to add that if you did trade you might consider cleaning it up and selling it. Sailing the world sounds cool but you can very easily die even if you have mastered the boat and are a meteorologist.

Commercial fishing with an experienced crew in the winter time for a few trips can offer a person perspective. I have to run.
Old 11-23-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
kr welcome !
as a ex Marine I too feel the need for Sea , I have been doing my homework also for over a year now and have learned many things I didnt't know & lots of info one learns as common sence through life & one of them is ..if you can eat dinner off the engine & compartment it tells a lot about how the PO treated his boat... in sailing the engine is more important than one would think.

Good luck and happy ventures !
Old 11-23-2010

Coronado45 is on a distinguished road
Roger that!
Old 11-23-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
The boat has it's qualities, but if you are looking for a sailor. She may not be what you want for many points of sail. If you want space she is a queen. Depends on what you want to do with the boat.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!