SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Question about boom control (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/67422-question-about-boom-control.html)

Rooker 08-17-2010 11:35 AM

Question about boom control

Hello everyone! I am new here and pretty new to sailing. I just picked up a '79SC 22 and its not a bad boat (seaworthy but ugly). Next spring I plan on repinting the deck buffing the hull out and complte refit of the cabin but for this year I just want to enjoy sailing the bit of summer we have left. The SC22 has boom end controls and where the pulleys (not good with lingo, accepting help here) mount in the cockpit it cuts off the last foot and a half of space. I am thinking of either mounting the "pulleys" to the rear wall of the cockpit or install a sliding car and track near campanionway. This will not allow me to use the roller reefing that I can now but my sail does have reefing points. Would the mid boom control give me better performance as well as space or should I just move my "pulleys" to the rear coaming? any advice is gratefully accepted. Please.

sailingfool 08-17-2010 11:50 AM

The location of your mainsheet has no effect on performance.

Moving it to the cabintop will increase the load on the sheet and the boom signicantly. You may need more blocks (pulleys) and/or a stronger boom. You would need to connect the mainsheet to the boom with several new blocks.

Moving the mainsheet will cost you a bundle and you would need to do some careful homework off the board to do it correctly.

Go sailing, and think about the subject again next year.

IslanderGuy 08-17-2010 11:51 AM

It sounds like you have an arrangement with two blocks (fancy, salty word for pulleys), well, actually three, one on the boom and one on each side of the cockpit? This is how my previous, 21 foot boat was set up, with the main sheet running from one side of the cockpit, up through the block on the boom and back down to the other side, then making a return trip following the same route to get more leverage. I also disliked this setup as the sheet was always strung across the cockpit in annoying ways, but it was livable.

If this is the setup, my concern with simply moving them to the back would be that the angle would change, so the sheet would be pulling more back then down. This would change the pull on the boom, and make it harder to keep the boom down where it should be, it would want to pull up more and mess with your sail shape. It might not be too dramatic, depending on how far you move them, but any change will effect sail shape I would think.

A possible way to fix for this might be to add a boom vang, a line that leads from the forward third of the boom (or so) to the base of the mast which you can use to pull the boom down. I have never had a boom vang on my boats so I do not have much experience there, but I should probably add one to my current boat someday.

As far as moving to a mid-boom sheeting with a traveler (the sliding car on a track) up on the cabin top, I am not sure what that would do, but someone else here will likely chime in on that idea. (Hmmm, they did while I was typing, man this board is fast!) Sounds good to me if you have the room. Be for-warned, travelers are typically expensive I think. You might be able to find a used one, or rig up something if you are creative.

If you have any pictures, that would likely help a lot.

Good luck!
Bryan

glmark 08-17-2010 12:00 PM

I'm pretty new, but my 1980 Hunter 25 has the traveler (pulleys) in front of the companionway. I think it's a huge pain. It means no one can sit next to me unless they commit to handling the traveler and it means always having to move it to get into my storage areas and cabin. I've asked before moving that control aft and now I'm more committed than ever to doing it. My boat does have a boom vang so I'm pretty convinced that the mainsheet and traveler will operate more conveniently aft.

bobmcgov 08-17-2010 01:07 PM

Our SJ21 came with similar triangular boom-end sheeting system. I hated it for the reasons you describe: it makes getting to the stern awkward, there's tons of friction, and you need about 45 ft of line, most of which ends up piled in the cockpit when close hauled. Requires many armloads of rope to move the boom. No vanging or boom control on deep headings. Two foci with a running fiddle on the boom means the boom end travels along an elliptical, rather than a circular path -- so the boom tends to slat back and forth more than a 1-point mainsheet system in high winds or swells. And worst of all: when deep reaching or running, a couple fathoms of mainsheet are draped thru the cockpit or hanging over the side of the boat. Guess what happens during an intentional (or God help us, accidental) jibe? All that messy cordage goes scything thru the cockpit, removing hats, tangling around necks, winches, the tiller, and so forth.

Oh, and the cleat was on the cockpit sole, way aft and directly under the tiller.

So this Spring, I moved it. We added a hard point -- a forged Wichard U-bolt -- to the cockpit sole, just ahead of the tiller. It is backed below with an epoxied plate of 1/4" aluminum. Then we added a hanger to the boom, 30" from the end -- one of these, to distribute the load without needing multiple blocks.

In between, we used two inexpensive 50mm Lewmar Synchro fiddles, the lower with cleat, becket and stand-up spring. These worked with our existing cordage -- tho we were able to lop 20' off the bloody mainsheet.

The upshot: with less friction and less leverage on the boom than the old system, hand-playing the mainsheet in high winds takes more effort, and we have lost some leech tension close-hauled. But I can now sit forward or aft of the sheet, which makes singlehanding easier. The boom reacts more quickly to small adjustments on the sheet, and you can sheet-and-ease quickly for controlled jibes, without snagging on deck hardware or passengers. You can also just grab the whole mainsheet in your hand and guide it across. There's less line on the floor. And the mainsheet imparts some downward force on the boom even DDW, assisting the vang (which is weak on our boat).

It was a really nice upgrade. Took about 2 hours and $100, and no advanced skills were needed. If we want to add a mid-cockpit traveler later, we are ready for that. Still, I agree you should sail with what you got first. Maybe it will suffice for your purposes, or at least you'll have a chance to consider alternatives. Cheers!

puddinlegs 08-17-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooker (Post 633499)
Hello everyone! I am new here and pretty new to sailing. I just picked up a '79SC 22 and its not a bad boat (seaworthy but ugly). Next spring I plan on repinting the deck buffing the hull out and complte refit of the cabin but for this year I just want to enjoy sailing the bit of summer we have left. The SC22 has boom end controls and where the pulleys (not good with lingo, accepting help here) mount in the cockpit it cuts off the last foot and a half of space. I am thinking of either mounting the "pulleys" to the rear wall of the cockpit or install a sliding car and track near campanionway. This will not allow me to use the roller reefing that I can now but my sail does have reefing points. Would the mid boom control give me better performance as well as space or should I just move my "pulleys" to the rear coaming? any advice is gratefully accepted. Please.

Roller or slab reefing? If you have roller reefing, consider changing to slab. It's faster and simpler.

Rooker 08-18-2010 11:20 AM

Bob, I would love to see photos of your setup. That sounds like something we may be very interested in but like a child I need photos to fully understand your language. I have read about four books on restoring sailboats and none has helped my vocab. I am interested in going mid boom because I used to have a Hunter 23 when i was young before kids and it had the mid with a vang and I prefer that over the setup I have now. I found a 44" traveler for $40 and I was hoping to use some of the same blocks from my current setup if that works.