Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearAway View Post
Toppinglift always WELL EASED after sail is hoisted. Topping lift is for boom support and NEVER comes off when sailing a Nonsuch.

I'm 6'2" / 1.8 m and the booms and foot of the sail easily clear above my head on any Nonsuch model . . . 22 through the 40 . . . when I'm standing in the cockpit.

So I am still really confused.
I had the topping lift attached but loose. The boom was sheeted in.
I was motoring with the sail up and the end of the boom was bouncing like a sledge hammer about 3" above my head. I am 5' 11" max

I'm assuming there was something wrong with this boat. What do you suspect it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2010

BearAway is on a distinguished road
Nonsuch bowsprit & headsail = NO

Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

If you want a headsail, buy another boat.
Old 11-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I was motoring with the sail up and the end of the boom was bouncing like a sledge hammer about 3" above my head. I am 5' 11" max

I'm assuming there was something wrong with this boat. What do you suspect it was?
The wishbone can NOT bounce much, let alone a lot, with the sheet in trimmed very hard. The masthead will pump in a seaway and as it moves aft, the leech can move down as much as a foot. VERY HARD sheet trim is order of the day in such conditions. If the boom was moving a lot and making the whole rig noisy . . . the sheet was nowhere near hard enough.

Just as you would not motor into the wind and a seaway with a headsail up (nor is it good for any main) you would not do so with the "genoa hybrid" up on a Nonsuch. You CAN motorsail but that means being at least 20 degrees off head to wind.

I've usually found there is not "something wrong" with most boats when there seems to be some problem. I usually found it was an error we as crew made that caused "the problem".
Old 11-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOKERBOHM View Post
iam new to sailing this type of boat nonsuch 33-- wonder if anyone would know if adding a bow spirt with a self tacking arm would work--- like the ones on island pocket boats--- it would give a lift to the bow which i feel sits low in the water at times and also downwind would increase speed any advice would aprrec. from any nonsuch owners of any size on this manner i have a fabracation shop to make it but need to know if the design of the small self tacking jib would things better or worse????????
dok
Don't try to fix what ain't broke. Don't waste your good money on a bad idea that won't work and isn't necessary. It will NOT increase speed at all except of the money flowing out of your bank account.

Any of the 30 models weigh six tons. How many pounds of vertical lift do you think your proposed idea would generate. You'd need over 2000 pounds of lift to raise the bow a very little while also pushing the stern sections down into the water.

If you want a boat with a rig like an Island Packet buy an Island Packet. If you want a small head sail on "Hoyt" type jib boom, buy another boat.

Last edited by BearAway; 11-29-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearAway View Post
Just as you would not motor into the wind and a seaway with a headsail up (nor is it good for any main) you would not do so with the "genoa hybrid" up on a Nonsuch. You CAN motorsail but that means being at least 20 degrees off head to wind.
This was probably the issue. I was not off the wind very much.
Old 02-10-2013

Brocklee is on a distinguished road
Re: Nonsuch sail trim

Hello,
I am very interested in purchasing a nonsuch 33 but wanted your opinion on the carbon fiber masts/booms as opposed to original equipment aluminum mast/boom. Is the carbon fiber an improvement over the aluminum, will it still spill the air sufficiently in gusts, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks........Brock
Old 02-10-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Re: Nonsuch 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post

In addition to the other excellent advice already offered, I'd suggest that you make sure the choker is tightened HARD. If not, the wishbone can bounce around under those conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 02-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think the carbon masts would be a definite upgrade but there were not many made this way. Are you looking at a N33 or N324 (think that is the designation)? The latter is a newer iteration of a N30 with carbon mast. It is not a 33.
Old 02-10-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Re: Nonsuch sail trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklee View Post
Hello,
I am very interested in purchasing a nonsuch 33 but wanted your opinion on the carbon fiber masts/booms as opposed to original equipment aluminum mast/boom. Is the carbon fiber an improvement over the aluminum, will it still spill the air sufficiently in gusts, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks........Brock
I would not want the carbon fiber, but that's just me. My understanding is that the CF mast is stiffer than the aluminum and the point of the mast is to be flexible. More importantly, however, is that the CF can become brittle. One of our members had his CF wishboom shatter for no apparent reason while he was sailing. I'm not sure that the cause was ever identified, but the speculation was that either the boat had been previously hit by lightning, making the CF wishboom brittle, or had been subject to a some previously unnoticed impact (maybe in the yard) that had caused cracks that finally just failed during his sail.

The 33s are great boats--maybe the best in the Nonsuch line up. I don't need one since the 30 is plenty big enough, but if I had the coin I'd love to have a 33.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 02-10-2013

Re: Nonsuch 33

I came to the conclusion that you just can't motor sail to windward with the boom sheeted in hard and the main luffing like you can in some other boats if you are 6' tall.

That combination with the bendy mast means that the end of the boom is bobbing up and down about an inch from your head.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.