Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Nonsuch 33

I was out this PM with a novice sailor and her new to her Nonsuch 33. This is the boat with one large main sail, no stays and a wishbone boom.

The way she sailed it was with the topping lift tight.
This made the sail belly enough so the roach would flip past the topping lift on tacks.
I thought the sail shape would be improved if the topping lift was released which indeed did happen.
With the topping lift loose however the roach would not flip past.
It wasn't too bad but it did deform the leach a little on one tack.

Is this normal on this boat?
Any info on best rig setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Hi David,
I am more familiar with the Sunfish then the Nonesuch 33' but I have seen them and know the boat you are asking about.
I can understand using the topping lift with this one massive sail to add belly as you described, in light winds. I can also understand your desire to release the topping lift to eliminate some of the draft or belly of the sail in bigger winds.
I wonder if simply removing the topping lift from the boom end and attaching it to the mast base while sailing would be simpler and give the roach all the freedom it needs to tack?
Constantly trimming the topping lift for tacks and letting it out once around sounds like a fairly dubious idea to me, especially in any kind of blow. Having the roach hang up on the topping lift sounds bad for the sail due to chafing.
Is there a boom vang on this boat as well? If so I'd guess you'd use the topping lift only at anchor or in light air and otherwise not at all and it could be detached from the boom while sailing.
The boom vang, traveler and main sheet could be used to keep the sail flatter for higher winds. No need for a topping lift in higher winds.
My $.02.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nonesuch boats have a wishbone boom and are essentially self-vanging due to the weight of the boom. Not slacking the topping lift on a Nonesuch leads to lousy sail shape and poor performance. Easing the topping lift sufficiently so that it doesn't affect the shape of the sail should also allow the sail to tack or gybe with little issue. The topping lift shouldn't have to flip from side to side on each tack or gybe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Easing the topping lift sufficiently so that it doesn't affect the shape of the sail should also allow the sail to tack or gybe with little issue.
This is the direction I was leaning. Just slack it off enough that it that sail can take the shape it wants to.

I'm used to the roach on the sail of most boats flipping past the TL when tacking. But on the NS it looks like the best strategy is to slack it sufficiently so it dosent matter which side it is on.

What do you think about the idea of tightening it to get belly in the sail for light winds?
Old 08-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Using a topping lift to support the boom in very light air is a pretty common tactic, and makes good sense—especially on a boat with a self-vanging wishbone setup, which is often heavier than a standard boom.

Clear enough??

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
This is the direction I was leaning. Just slack it off enough that it that sail can take the shape it wants to.

I'm used to the roach on the sail of most boats flipping past the TL when tacking. But on the NS it looks like the best strategy is to slack it sufficiently so it dosent matter which side it is on.

What do you think about the idea of tightening it to get belly in the sail for light winds?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Clear enough??

Yes thanks.
Old 08-21-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I had a Nonsuch 30 for a number of years and just left the topping lift lose enough so it did not chafe on the mainsail. I felt that it was there to hold the wishbone when the sail was down. The whole idea of the Nonsuch is to reduce the string pulling to the absolute minimum. Other than standard reefing all you have are the halyard, the sheet and the outhaul to play with.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 08-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I had a Nonsuch 30 for a number of years and just left the topping lift lose enough so it did not chafe on the mainsail. I felt that it was there to hold the wishbone when the sail was down. The whole idea of the Nonsuch is to reduce the string pulling to the absolute minimum. Other than standard reefing all you have are the halyard, the sheet and the outhaul to play with.

Thanks, that what I came up with but since it is not what I'm used to I thought I would ask.
Old 08-30-2010

BearAway is on a distinguished road
Nonsuch sail trim

The sail on a Nonsuch is what we used to call (in early '70s) a high clewed blast reacher (heavy genoa). It is NOT a main. Trimming like a genoa works VERY well. Trimming like a main WILL work . . . but sailing performance will be very greatly diminished.

The sail on a 33 is the equivalent of a 150-160% genoa on an average 40 ft / 12 m mast head rigged cruising yacht from the '80s.

The boom weight certainly affects but was not planned as a method to control trim of the the sail, such as vanging. The wishbone "replaces", at the least, 10 ft / 3 m of hull aft of the clew & boom end to which "missing part of the boat" the genoa sheet would "normally" lead for trimming. You figure out how much that amount of hull and deck would weigh (let alone cost) and the comparatively minimal boom cost and weight is a GREAT trade off !

Ed Botterell (Olympic sailor, then owner of HOOD Canada, and builder of many offshore yacht and one design sails) designed the first Nonsuch sail with a small but useful input from Ted Hood. All the other lofts in the world, combined, have not built as many Nonsuch sails as Botts has ever since 1978.

The boom weight (the aluminum booms are less than 200 hundred pounds on a 33 or 36) is a function of what materials were available (and affordable) in the late '70s. The first boat built, NONSUCH, almost debuted with laminated teak booms a la Windsurfers and Freedom 40s of that vintage. THE FIRST aluminum booms were not "curved" but made up from quite a few welded sections . . . the first booms . . . welded sections ! photo - Nonsuch Photo Galleries photos at pbase.com

The weight of carbon fiber booms on the very small number of boats built post 1990 (many have been semi-customs) is less than an aluminum boom on an average 35 ft / 10 m cruising boat.

The foot of the sail "vangs" the sail.

"Choker" trim (similar to but not the same as an outhaul on a main) helps flatten the sail, closes the leech, and induces "vanging" of the sail.

Toppinglift always WELL EASED after sail is hoisted. Topping lift is for boom support and NEVER comes off when sailing a Nonsuch. It may be calm when you try taking it off but if the breeze comes up, even a bit, you'll never get it back on . . . safely. STAY WELL AWAY from the boom end when the sail is up. The sail on a 33 is the size of a main sail on many current 50 ft / 15 m cruising yachts. Would YOU try to go near, let alone hold onto, the aft end of one of those with the sail up?!?

Topping lift trim and adjustment in light air is very useful . . . IF you know what you are doing.

I'm 6'2" / 1.8 m and the booms and foot of the sail easily clear above my head on any Nonsuch model . . . 22 through the 40 . . . when I'm standing in the cockpit. I can't say that about many 40 ft / 12 m or larger sloops I've sailed and certainly not about smaller boats !

The most effective way to motor sail a Nonsuch upwind is to flatten the sail (halyard, then cunningham-if rigged, then lots of choker) and then over trim the sheet slightly (boom end just INSIDE a vertical line, relative to the horizon, up from the gunwale).

Most effective way to make down the boom end . . . when sail is down . . . is with a line tightened down hand hard to ONE quarter (not a "bridle" to both quarters) and then trim the sheet till it's hard. The well loaded and triangular configuration secures the boom end VERY well. If you utilize launches on a mooring . . . use the port quarter, which moves the booms off center to port. If you are on a dock . . . use the quarter and move the booms off center away from the side on which you dock.

Currently own 30C on Lake Ontario and 30C on Gulf of Maine plus an assortment of smaller sail boats and wood power launches.

Have also owned 26C, 33, and 30U Nonsuch models.

The Nonsuch "website" I created and manage . . . Nonsuch Photo Galleries's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Have also owned and/or raced many kinds of sailboats from 10 ft / 3 m to 120 ft / 36 m.

Cheers
joebeach likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BearAway For This Useful Post:
Dgh767 (05-21-2013), whatugonnado (10-25-2013)
Old 11-09-2010

DOKERBOHM is on a distinguished road
Can A Small Bow Sprit Be Added To A Nonsuch 33

iam new to sailing this type of boat nonsuch 33-- wonder if anyone would know if adding a bow spirt with a self tacking arm would work--- like the ones on island pocket boats--- it would give a lift to the bow which i feel sits low in the water at times and also downwind would increase speed any advice would aprrec. from any nonsuch owners of any size on this manner i have a fabracation shop to make it but need to know if the design of the small self tacking jib would things better or worse????????
dok

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.