Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010

nksmfamjp is on a distinguished road
Ranger 20 or similar

Hello. Just spent a day on a Ranger 20 (WA built) with my family. It sailed pretty well in the light to moderate winds we had that day. I liked the boat, but I didn't really like the transition from cockpit to inside. This boat, without the tarp pilot house, has no real door for the inside when you are sailing. That is ok in fair weather, but not in rougher weather. Also, I would like some kind of porta potty.

So, is there any other minivan launch-able 20 foot'ish boat which would be rigged for a Genoa + main that you would recommend to a new trailer sailer? I would like a swing keel for a low trailer profile. I have minimal sailing experience, but learn fast. I have a family of 5 who all want to go, but want me to be able to singlehand at this point. We are a little unsure about this, so we would like to get something sail-able for under $5000. Any ideas?

Also, my 8yr old was a little scared when it got rough. . . I would guess 10 - 12 mph winds. . .Any ideas to get her more calm? She dropped down into the hold and wouldn't come out. Probably my fault for sailing into some rougher water on her first outing. I just wanted the wind!!! My wife is kind of the same way except she is pressuring the decision wanting a motorboat. While a motorboat could be bought, we would just park it most of the time due to gas prices, so I think that is a waste!

Even with this, I think everyone enjoyed themselves.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2010

baboon is on a distinguished road
There are lots of options for your needs. A catalina 22 is probably the most popular. It has a true cabin with a companionway that can be closed. Precison, Potters, and others will work. Plusses for the Ranger you mentioned are it is better built than most in this class and also has positive floatation (will not sink even when swamped).
Old 08-23-2010

nksmfamjp is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I'll have to look Into the Catalina 22 some.
Old 08-23-2010

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up r20 is a good choice

Even though the R20 hasn't been built for many years, it is still a great sailer. The dodger is ~500.00 to replace, as I just did mine. As far as sailing goes, the open cabin area allows for others to be as active in the sailing as they want to be. It allows them to get out of the wind as needed, but still be part of the activities on board. I sail mine in all waether and with the dodger up and a tiller extension, you can almost get out of the weather while still maintaning control of the boat.
Lots of good boats out there.
Best of luck.
Kary
S/V Mariah