Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010

Walt352 is on a distinguished road
Question A bit of a fix

Hello to the sailing community Iím new to sail net and new to sailing but have dreamed of it for years. I now find myself in a bit of a fix with a new to me 1984 Catalina 30 on Tilghman Island, MD and me in Florida. I have till 12/31/2010 to move the boat but canít wait to get her home to the st Johns River. Looking for suggestions on what would be the best way to do this. Find someone to sail part of the way with me and teach me enough about sailing so my wife would trust me to come aboard or ship her by truck. Time to sail the boat home & money I would spend along the way would be a factor vs. shipping her home by truck. Thanks Walt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
If you never sailed you may want to go out for at least 48hrs. If you cant handle being on the water good luck with sailing your boat down.
Old 08-22-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt352 View Post
Hello to the sailing community I’m new to sail net and new to sailing but have dreamed of it for years. I now find myself in a bit of a fix with a new to me 1984 Catalina 30 on Tilghman Island, MD and me in Florida. I have till 12/31/2010 to move the boat but can’t wait to get her home to the st Johns River. Looking for suggestions on what would be the best way to do this. Find someone to sail part of the way with me and teach me enough about sailing so my wife would trust me to come aboard or ship her by truck. Time to sail the boat home & money I would spend along the way would be a factor vs. shipping her home by truck. Thanks Walt

Walt, it would take about two week at a leisurely pace to get the boat down running the ICW most of the way. That's with stopping most nights.
If you don't have the experience, there are lots of people who do and who would probably be happy for the job.
The last time I did the trip for a friend, he paid me 100 dollars a day.
So you have to do the math. Remember to add the cost of decommissioning and recommissioning to the cost of trucking the boat. And don't forget to add the value of the experience if you decide to hire experienced help and bring her down yourself. You would certainly learn a lot and that's worth something.
Old 08-22-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Walt,

My advice would be to truck it. If you check around and are flexible on timing, you can often get a better deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-22-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Walt,

My advice would be to truck it. If you check around and are flexible on timing, you can often get a better deal.

That's true. And you will still have the opportunity to learn a lot in the process of putting the boat back together or fixing the stuff that the guys you hire to put the boat back together screw up.

Seriously, take tons of pictures before anyone starts taking it apart. Not only to help in recommissioning, but in order to document the condition of the boat before the trip.
Old 08-22-2010

Billy654 is on a distinguished road
Walt

Can't give advice on how to get her to you. However I can tell you that I own a Catalina 30 and she is a fine boat. You will find her easy to sail and the cabin very roomy. Good luck and happy sailing. Let us see some pics of your new love.
Old 08-22-2010

Walt352 is on a distinguished road
I can see the current runs strong here with some people. But to be truthful lapworth I'm not sure how I would handle long periods of time on the water. Fishing 6 to 8 hours at 50 miles out in the gulf with my dad many times I never had a problem. But never stayed over night or lived on a boat.
Old 08-22-2010

DoctorK is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure the ICW is the best place to learn to sail. I would say truck it down and then take some day trips with some experienced crew on board.
Old 08-22-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
With the Chessie and NC at the beginning of your trip you'll have a good chance to assess your concerns about overnighting and extended periods on the boat. Taking a week (probably less, to get to Beaufort Inlet), you'd know if you wanted to continue, or truck it. If you find yourself able to keep going (weather permitting), it would only take a few more days, offshore, to get to JAX, with plenty of places to go back inside to the ICW.

Something else would be buddy boat south.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Last edited by PBzeer; 08-22-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt352 View Post
Hello to the sailing community Iím new to sail net and new to sailing but have dreamed of it for years. I now find myself in a bit of a fix with a new to me 1984 Catalina 30 on Tilghman Island, MD and me in Florida. I have till 12/31/2010 to move the boat but canít wait to get her home to the st Johns River. Looking for suggestions on what would be the best way to do this. Find someone to sail part of the way with me and teach me enough about sailing so my wife would trust me to come aboard or ship her by truck. Time to sail the boat home & money I would spend along the way would be a factor vs. shipping her home by truck. Thanks Walt
Walt--

In 2002 we bought our current yacht in Annapolis and debated the wisdom of sailing verses shipping. In the end we shipped the boat for less than it would have cost to sail/motor her and the entire effort took less than a week. Two daze to prep the yacht at Bert Jabin's yard on Back Creek in Annapolis and Wednesday afternoon to Friday afternoon from there to Tampa Bay. The yacht arrived without damage or difficulty. You might want to contact: Yacht and Boat transport services by A&B Marine Trucking/Jabin Marine Transport

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."