SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Southport to georgetown

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PBzeer 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of moving a boat from Southport NC to Georgetown SC.

The boat draws 7'. I've heard that the icw is a little thin through Myrtle beach so an outside run is being considered.

Assuming a good bit of weather it looks like only a full day trip, 80 miles or so so I figure we leave in the late AM or early PM and go all nite and get in in the am the next morning. If we go faster than expected we can just wait an hour or so for light.

Any worries with this plan?
This is a new boat for me so while I expect it to be ship shape will boat US do their thing if the engine craps out etc.

#4 ·
Go in at Wynham Bay against the tide can make for slow going. Also, follow the bouys very closely at Georgetown. It can get real skinny, real fast around there. Particularly if you're heading towards the bridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.