Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Independently wealthy

Hell, I wouldn't mind ending up there either!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
you may want to plan to have the captain for 2 months, a month of prep / practice sailing, and then the actual trip.

what is your budget?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2010

kevandraper is on a distinguished road
Smile small steps

Hi Pickett,
I agree with Post 2, you can learn alot yourself, just by taking small steps. Perhaps get to know the guys around you at the marina, tag along with them, everyone is always looking for day crew. We all start in the same place, I know I did. I bought my first yacht in Sydney with a mate of mine. After we'd taken ownership, nether of use wanted to take it over to the fueling dock !!!!. The total sailing we had done between us was the "test sail" before buying the yacht. After a year of sailing every week end and holidays, we took off on the start of a circumnavigation, first passage 1300 miles Australia to New caldonia. The yacht went up to japan and across the Baring sea to Dutch harbour and then down the west coast to mexico. The buddy I bought the yacht with is now a full time skipper on an 80 footer.
Good luck , you will tingle with enjoyment as you learn more, take the mistakes on the chin and move on. It's amzing what you can tackle if you put your mind to it.
Old 08-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sorry Smacky, I believe the OP wanted someone that could teach him... I'm pretty sure you're not qualified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Heh-heh. Maybe.

I'm just curious about what the costs actually are. Independently wealthy seems like an attractive starting place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-30-2010

questionsquestions is on a distinguished road
One possibility is to hire a "teaching" captain who can bring along additional crew members/students with some experience who want additional bluewater miles and experience, and will split the costs. Make it a teaching cruise. Otherwise, one captain and one inexperienced owner for a couple of weeks--- not good.
Old 08-30-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
The big problem with what you want is not many delivery skippers will travel that distance with a novice owner. He/she will, if they have any sence bring along an extra body; one who they can trust when things go pair shaped. And on any trip of the distance you are thinking, there will be one or two occurances.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 08-30-2010

capttb is on a distinguished road
Just so happens that 2 weeks ago I bought a boat in San Francisco, last Monday I came out the Golden Gate on the noon slack. One of my "crew" was wearing a scopalamine patch, (clue #1) perfect weather and his head is in a bucket already, three times before we reach Pacifica. The other one is useless & dangerous, but doesn't know it, tries to talk me into tacking IN FRONT of an inbound freighter. Got his own charts and GPS but can't navigate or read the charts, sees an oil rig on the chartplotter and is convinced it's a freighter. When I tell him it's an electronic chart and anything on it AIN'T moving he's unconvinced. Freakin' trip from hell, 30 knots around Pt. Conception and it's ONLY me at the helm all night.
Both men are "older" and have been sailing for decades, both have said they have removed sailing around the world from their bucket lists.
Make a couple good long trips before you make any long term plans or buy a boat.
A competent Captain is going to be much more expensive, AND WORTH, more than you can probably pay. You want a REALLY good friend who is a VERY good captain. Delivery Captains get $1.00 a mile, if the boat ain't moving at top speed he's losing money.
Old 08-30-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
crew and skippers

Cap'n -- were the crew worth what they were paid?

Invention I've though of for green-around-the-gills ocean crew -- a funnel and hose run to a cockpit drain. Could serve multiple purposes.

For the original poster, the generic advice would be to do smaller steps first and then maybe use a captain/instructor as the final "grad course" for ocean sailing.
Old 08-31-2010

capttb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Cap'n -- were the crew worth what they were paid?
Nope, I'd sent them $1,000 to cover $400 worth of travel expenses, bought them $150 worth of food that I wouldn't touch with a stick (I don't eat frozen pizza). And I arranged their transport home when they disembarked at the nearest port.
Old 08-31-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Ah, maybe the crew jumped ship because the boat you were delivering didn't have a pizza stone on board to get the crust just right.

Seriously, it's way disappointing that supposedly experienced sailors were so ineffective, clueless, dangerous, and unable to get the concept of following the captain's directions. I guess no amount of interviewing or references can substitute for sailing with people and even then some quirks will only emerge on a longer passage or in more stressful situations.

Seasickness in crew probably can't be avoided since everyone is different about this and even some really good, experienced sailors can have "issues", especially early on at sea.