Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010

Martness is on a distinguished road
sailboats and captains

My sailing experience is limited to an introductory sailing course and a few sailing jaunts that reaffirm that I have sea legs and appreciate the expanse of the ocean. It's been years since my last sail but now I want to buy a sail boat, hire a captain, and sail to Hawaii from San Francisco, learning more about sailing along the way. I'd like suggestions on open water boats that are easy to sail and more apt to forgive when given poor instructions. Here are a few that are for sale nearby that I'm looking at: Morgan 382, 38 feet, yr 1978. A 1999 Beneteau 411, 42 ft long. A pearson 365, and a hunter 3800. Feel free to suggest other boats.

I also want to hire a patient, laid back, knowledgeable captain for a month or so for the journey to Hawaii. If anyone one has any recommendations of captains; what I should expect to pay for a month of instructional delivery; or what to look for in a captain for such a trip, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks for your time.

Pickett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Would you have time to "test drive" or "audition" one or more skipper/instructors on some day trips before committing to spend a few weeks with someone? For a trip that long the personal aspects are critical.

Also, you could probably learn a whole lot about your boat starting with shorter sails with lots of maneuvering, docking, anchoring, traffic etc. as opposed to the long run to paradise where you might go for many hours at a stretch without needing to adjust trim.

Also, it might be easier for you to get your first "oopsies" with the new boat out of the way within a few hours of chandleries and repair shops. And, that would give you one or more captains' input and more time for your own ideas about how you'd like to improve and equip the boat for the big ocean run.
Old 08-23-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martness View Post

.... Here are a few that are for sale nearby that I'm looking at: Morgan 382, 38 feet, yr 1978. A 1999 Beneteau 411, 42 ft long. A pearson 365, and a hunter 3800. Feel free to suggest other boats.

Pickett
Very different boats from very different era's that will have very different issues. Two thoughts: don't be in a rush to buy anything. Spend plenty of time looking at A LOT of boats in your budget. (By the way, what is your budget? Remember that you'll need the cost of your boat + about 20% at a minimum to upgrade/equip and address basic maintenance issues) Rushing into a purchase can lead to very expensive buyer's remorse. Don't forget to add up the costs of moorage, potential new sails, etc....

Read up. There are a lot of books that will provide a baseline for thoughts about design, etc... There are many boats that will do the job you're looking for. The trick is to know enough to be able to make a list of 8-10 models that are close to what you're looking for, then find the best boat for the money that happens to be on the market in your purchasing time frame... While your looking, take your basic sailing lessons (ASA 101-104, etc...) including some dingy time if possible.

Three books for you:

Yacht Design According to Perry: My Boats and What Shaped Them by Robert Perry

The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising by Beth A. Leonard

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems by Nigel Calder

I'm sure other's will pipe in with book suggestions. As you sail locally, read, etc... you'll meet people and get a much better idea who you might look for to help skipper your boat.
Old 08-24-2010

Martness is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks for the input. Advice noted.
Old 08-24-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
I've heard of this guy named Captain Ron that I think is looking for work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
get a berth

One other little idea -- getting a crew berth on an overnight or longer ocean race or cruising rally might give you a good luck at how boats can be set up for bluewater work. In California, for example, the Baja HaHa has a crew list and crew party for prospective skippers and crew to meet.
Old 08-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that unless you're independently wealthy, hiring a captain to sail your boat from SFO to Hawaii is going to be a fairly expensive proposition, especially if you can find one that is willing to teach you along the way and take a new-to-you boat that may or may not be seaworthy for the voyage.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that unless you're independently wealthy, hiring a captain to sail your boat from SFO to Hawaii is going to be a fairly expensive proposition, especially if you can find one that is willing to teach you along the way and take a new-to-you boat that may or may not be seaworthy for the voyage.
Out of curiosity - how much are we talking?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-25-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Out of curiosity - how much are we talking?
smack...
Thinking of giving up yer day job!?!?
Old 08-25-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
smack...
Thinking of giving up yer day job!?!?
Heh-heh. Maybe.

I'm just curious about what the costs actually are. Independently wealthy seems like an attractive starting place.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40