Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Just for the record, I think it's PFD, for Personal Flotation Device, rather than PDF.
Old 08-23-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
lol, indeed.. damn internets anyway

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapTim View Post
I put on a 'normal' vest-type PDF over the top of the inflatable.

Wow that sounds scary. When the inflatable inflates under the secured vest pdf how will it get to full size without compressing your lungs and/or making it impossible to use your arms.

I'm sure you know what you are doing but have you actually tried this combination with a couple strong friends around in the pool.

We have tested normal inflatables and they severely restrict your ability to swim once inflated all by themselves.
Old 08-23-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
PFD - portable document format
PFD - personal flotation device (though the US Coast Guard might get back to calling it a life preserver one of these days). "Float coats" are great PFDs for cold weather.

Poop decks - more associated with old-timey wooden sailing ships, aftmost deck and above quarterdeck and (upper) gun deck, bordered by taffrail (aft) and break to quarterdeck forward. Pretty much out of fashion for the last couple of centuries.

Inflatables -- not approved for children in USA or for use in white-water sports, great otherwise, manufacturers will specify replacement intervals for activation mechanisms on auto-inflatables. There is potential for the CO2 cartridge to become partially unscrewed and loose in many designs, so this should be checked fairly often. Otherwise, inflatables are great.
Old 08-23-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
I think you may need to reassess your opinion of him: "someone with great knowledge".
Maybe the great knowledge is in the field of beekeeping or the art of carving little heads out of apples.
Old 08-23-2010

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
My choice:

Manual inflation - I want the option to be able to disentangle myself or clamber up a swim ladder without interference from a couple of balloons. Or, alternately, pop the CO2 cartridge if I decide to.

Built-in harness - A sailing condition that calls for putting on a harness is exactly the same one that calls for a life vest. And a harness with built-in buoyancy isn't much more restrictive than a harness without.
Further, once you don the vest/harness, clipping onto a tether is quick and easy, and sometimes seconds count, as in the case of the deadly sudden squall here in the western Sound four weeks ago.

(Aside: I recently read somewhere -- Sail, Cruising World, ? -- that the Coast Guard is phasing out use of the term "PFD" in favor of the jargon-less "life vest" or "life jacket.")
Old 08-23-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjablonowski View Post
My choice:

Manual inflation - I want the option to be able to disentangle myself or clamber up a swim ladder without interference from a couple of balloons. Or, alternately, pop the CO2 cartridge if I decide to.

Built-in harness - A sailing condition that calls for putting on a harness is exactly the same one that calls for a life vest. And a harness with built-in buoyancy isn't much more restrictive than a harness without.
Further, once you don the vest/harness, clipping onto a tether is quick and easy, and sometimes seconds count, as in the case of the deadly sudden squall here in the western Sound four weeks ago.

(Aside: I recently read somewhere -- Sail, Cruising World, ? -- that the Coast Guard is phasing out use of the term "PFD" in favor of the jargon-less "life vest" or "life jacket.")
The only life vest that provides comparable service to a good inflatable is a type 1...have you ever spent 2-3 hours on a rough day wearing a type 1? Pretty uncomfortable and limiting.

There's plenty of news reports around about the unconscious sailor going overboard and his/her life being saved by the auto-inflating feature.

Buy a good auto inflatable and wear it always. Period. Skip the harness option, for cost and weight reasons, unless you sail short-handed or offshore.
Old 08-23-2010

niebur is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Wow that sounds scary. When the inflatable inflates under the secured vest pdf how will it get to full size without compressing your lungs and/or making it impossible to use your arms.

I'm sure you know what you are doing but have you actually tried this combination with a couple strong friends around in the pool.

We have tested normal inflatables and they severely restrict your ability to swim once inflated all by themselves.
Don't even TRY this in the pool. A constricted self-inflating vest can crush your rib cage and puncture your lungs.

You will die even if you do this in the pool.

Great way to win a Darwin Award!
Old 08-23-2010

Nautichthys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanontheseas View Post
They said that the contents in the CO2 breakdown the materials of the PDF once it is used and therefore the PDF wasn't any good any more once it was used.
Your friend might have gotten this idea from the early non-coast guard approved inflatables. Some of them were garbage with poorly sealed bladders that tended to rot out just sitting around. This rot had nothing to do with CO2. Sounds like a rumour a manufacturer would try to start.
Old 08-23-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjablonowski View Post
Can we similarly abolish the acronym "PWC" and make jetski a common noun, like xerox? It grates my ears to hear radio commercials for insurance try to fit that acronym in like it's a normal part of everyday speech.

Or better yet, can we just abolish jetskis altogether?

I realized over the winter what a risk I was taking by single-handing my boat with the autopilot set without a PFD. It's a small inland lake, so it's never more than a mile to the nearest shore, but I'm not a real strong swimmer. And during the winter there's really not much of anyone out on the lake; maybe a few die-hard anglers. And so if I was to fall overboard without a PFD on (which is, so far, the norm for me), there would be no chance of catching the boat, because it's not going to round up and stop for me. And in all likelihood, I would die of a combination of hypothermia and drowning before anyone even knew what happened.

A grim thought, to be sure, so I'm now considering an inflatable PFD, thinking that it would at least allow me to struggle to shore without drowning. Not much to do about the hypothermia angle. Except not to fall overboard in the first place.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.