Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I prefer the manual inflatable models- they're cheaper to buy, simpler, slightly less bulky, and easier to maintain. You don't even need to buy a re-arming kit to re-arm them- you can just buy the proper size generic CO2 cartridge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I prefer the manual inflatable models- they're cheaper to buy, simpler, slightly less bulky, and easier to maintain. You don't even need to buy a re-arming kit to re-arm them- you can just buy the proper size generic CO2 cartridge.
But you still need the little green pin if the handle was pulled or the yellow donut if it was submerged. [edit] If it's a Mustang, not sure of the others.
[edit again] Not sure what I was thinking, the manual ones don't have the yellow donut, so strike that part of the sentence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 08-23-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2010

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I have an auto inflate and wear it pretty much whenever I'm on a boat. I like the idea that it will inflate automatically if I went overboard because I got gonked in the head. Occasionally, when I'm on someone else's boat, they get offended that I'm wearing the vest. Too bad.....

My thinking is that no one ever went overboard because everything was going right.
Old 08-23-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I solo most of the time and a PFD/harness are SOP when leaving the cockpit, anywhere after dark, or in stormy weather. I've found the inflatable ones are the ones I wear the most - less bulky and just as effective. The inflatable should be checked yearly and I carry a couple spare cartridges as they're hard to find outside the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2010

musicmanontheseas is on a distinguished road
Smile Inflatable PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
I think you may need to reassess your opinion of him: "someone with great knowledge". Do you honestly think that could be true? (CO2 issue) Can you imagine the liability issues if that would be the case?

The only issues that I am aware of is that periodically it may be good to replace the arming mechanism and to test the pfd. Also it's best not to leave the pfd in a high humidity area when not being used on your boat. I always take mine home and keep it inside my house. (might be a good idea not to leave it in a hot car either)
I just had no idea. Thanks for your helpful comment.
Tom
Old 08-23-2010

PFD or PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Just for the record, I think it's PFD, for Personal Flotation Device, rather than PDF.
Yes, well you know what has been on my mind! Too many documents and not enough sailing!!!!
Old 08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I have an auto inflate and wear it pretty much whenever I'm on a boat. I like the idea that it will inflate automatically if I went overboard because I got gonked in the head. Occasionally, when I'm on someone else's boat, they get offended that I'm wearing the vest. Too bad.....

My thinking is that no one ever went overboard because everything was going right.
Great point!
Old 08-23-2010

rearming the PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Good to know. I was wondering what the process was once it is used. Sounds simple! Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow View Post
But you still need the little green pin if the handle was pulled or the yellow donut if it was submerged. [edit] If it's a Mustang, not sure of the others.
[edit again] Not sure what I was thinking, the manual ones don't have the yellow donut, so strike that part of the sentence.
You don't need the green pin- it's just an indicator to notify you that the vest has been activated, and the cartridge is empty. You can check this almost as easily by just unscrewing the CO2 cylinder, and verifying that the tip hasn't been pierced.

Also, I think it's unlikely that my vest would get inflated, and deflated without me ever knowing/remembering it.

Another thing- I always use my manual vest with a harness. I think the harness is actually more useful, since I usually sail with inexperienced guest crew and they'd be unlikely to successfully perform a MOB recovery. AKA singlehanding with guests.
Old 08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanontheseas View Post
Good to know. I was wondering what the process was once it is used. Sounds simple! Thanks!
Just make absolutely certain the generic one you replace it with has exactly the same CO2 capacity (perhaps even weigh the cartridge to verify). If it has too little if won't float you, and too much will explode the vest!