Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I fail at weather predicting = adventure

This was last night out on Lake Pontch. for a "sunset sail" with some nonsailor friends/fellow parishioners who were redeeming their successful church charity auction bid on the donation of boat (by local brokerage) and skipper (me). This auction was the spring before Katrina, and why it took so long to get it done is a whole other story.

two couples, two kids, nonsailors. We waited, babysat the wx radar and I figured the t-storms would die down at sunset, right? It had been a nice day, though scorching hot.

Well, the close-by NOAA weather station will tell you what happened, we were out there from about 1930-2015 when we doused jib, reefed main, tacked carefully, and headed back in (pretty quick broad reach sleigh ride), with lifejackets now our fashion choice. Notice the velocity spikes and big windshift right then, kinda like a seismograph got an earthquake?--

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/cgi...20Observations

This was on a lightweight sportboat (keel, 25 feet, we weighed about half as much as the boat), so it was a little dicey plus dark out, and no doubt they were frightened some (though the 11-y.o. son was unfazed and an ace, my best crewmember in a pinch) but once we were safely back into the harbor and slip, they allowed as how it was a "good adventure", which is good 'cause obviously it wasn't the serene sunset event we'd envisioned. More memorable, though ;-)

So while the title of this little vignette might be "Adventure at Sea (Lake)", I think the subtitle would be, "Tom can't predict weather worth crap". But God was with us, even though He was having a little fun, church charity auction, right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Tom, why should you do any better than the PhDs @ the NWS???

Paul
Old 08-23-2010
I Am, therefore I Sail

kpgraci is on a distinguished road
We were on Lake P yesterday till about 1600, nice wind, choppy and very hot.. In planning the trip I actually contemplated staying out until sunset, but I made the mistake of eating a #6 from Bud's Broiler before hitting the chop, then spent too much time in the cabin messing the with computer.

Glad ya'll make it through safe ...and had some adventure.
'73 ODay 22

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC - 65 AD)

Last edited by kpgraci; 08-23-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Actually on the weax, though I listen to the weather reports, But by looking out of the window I get a better sense of the weather. Because even though the weax-man is reporting the weather, he/she are not in my local and the area's weax I'm in is of ut most importance to me... But then those weax reports may give you a good indication of whats ahead.... an easy cruise or an adventureous cruise...
But if you get upset because of no wind or too much wind, then you shouldn't be out there anyway... take up gardening or bird watching or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture