Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
just bought my first boat

I first hatched my liveaboard scheme about two years ago. I've been looking for boats since early this spring. Had one false start where the owner and I couldn't agree on a price. I finally found one I really like (I think even more than the other one I put an offer on), put an offer on it, and it was accepted... I just got the signed contract today.

She's a 1979 Gulfstar 37. She appears to be in excellent shape: original gelcoat looks practically new, the teak has been well cared for, new sails, rebuilt engine with 390 hours, new upholstery, all lazarettes/bilge/engine compartment/etc are spotless. Sadly, I don't have any pics (I don't think I'm allowed to re-post the ones from the listing). The survey/sea trial is scheduled for Friday, so hopefully I'll snap a few pics then! I hope the survey goes well, I can't wait to bring her to her (my) new home!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Congrats and welcome.Had one myself,very pretty.marc
Old 08-24-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Awesome! Congrats to you but, as you know how things work around here......

Someone was going to do it....

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2010

kumgang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kumgang
Congratulations and enjoy! You'll never regret buddy.
Old 08-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Congratulations, but keep telling yourself that the signed contract simply allows you to have a survey done. Be hyper critical at this point and use everything the surveyor finds as a renegotiating point.

I hope the survey and sea trial go really well.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 08-25-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Good year, good size. My first was a '79 Endeavour 37. She'd been loved over by a couple swallowing the hook. Look over the survey carefully and have fun on the sea trial. I don't remember much about my sea trial - I was too busy grinning and thinking of those warm climates, crystal clear waters, and the adventure - other than boat sailed better than I did.

Old 08-26-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
.......Be hyper critical at this point and use everything the surveyor finds as a renegotiating point.......
Really? I keep my boat in excellent condition, but I hope no one with that attitude ever makes an offer on her.

Clearly, if there are unidentified problems, you should negotiate to fix them. However, a surveyor is going to tell you that a 30 yr old boat is 30 years old. You shouldn't negotiate what was clearly the condition you saw when you made your offer, only something that was not evident. Further, a good surveyor will recommend maintenance that has nothing to do with a fault. It isn't all for negotiation. For example, I had a surveyor identified a hose going through a hole and recommended chafe protection. Glad he did. No actual chafing at the survey. Wasn't a negotiating point.

Hey, I should go check to see if I ever did that.

Best of luck.
Old 08-26-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Great stuff. COngrats.
A nice boat, built tough. You should have many great times on her. Whats her name - they have personality you know!!

Old 08-27-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Really? I keep my boat in excellent condition, but I hope no one with that attitude ever makes an offer on her.

Clearly, if there are unidentified problems, you should negotiate to fix them. However, a surveyor is going to tell you that a 30 yr old boat is 30 years old. You shouldn't negotiate what was clearly the condition you saw when you made your offer, only something that was not evident. Further, a good surveyor will recommend maintenance that has nothing to do with a fault. It isn't all for negotiation. For example, I had a surveyor identified a hose going through a hole and recommended chafe protection. Glad he did. No actual chafing at the survey. Wasn't a negotiating point.
I don't disagree with you. I overstated it. Put it this way; Systems should be basically sound, or as you expect them to be. For example, if the survey finds real problems in the steering mechanism, such as a very badly frayed cable that is about to part, then that needs to be fixed to make the boat functional. OTOH, if the cable is loose, and needs to be adjusted, then that is good information to have and something to put on your "to-do" list for when you buy the boat.

If the support for a chainplate is rotted, then that needs to be fixed (and the price adjusted accordingly) but if you find that the chainplates need to be resealed, then that is added to your to-do list.

I just bought a bout. It was basically in good shape and very sound. However, there were a number of suggestions on the part of the surveyor that I'll use in my maintenance plan. They didn't affect the price. OTOH, the GPS was found to be not working. As that in an integral part of the navionics, it was replaced as a condition of sale.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on