Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010

mbetter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Anyone care to guess what proportion of projects such as this actually get splashed? My guess is MAYBE 10% within five years, and MAYBE 20% ever see the water.
That strikes me as way too optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
That strikes me as way too optimistic.
OTOH, some highly motivated and skilled people manage to build their own cruising sailboats in months like this guy:

Building Miss Cindy.
Osram VII Construction Details

Last edited by casioqv; 08-25-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Really good website detailing a 43 foot Roberts steel boat build by two people with your kind of skill sets.

LOTS of good stuff about their problems and how they overcame them.

Oh yes they are two ladies, took them 10 years. But they know every inch of the boat.
Old 08-25-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
So far the negative comments you have heard are on the money, especially if you are building a Bruce Roberts boat with framed construction. There are tons of his boats lying around unfinished. Take a look at the Origami Boats forum on Yahoo. You'll find a whole different way to build a metal boat that radically changes the picture. The designer of these boats Brent Swain actually lives on one. He is for hire too. You can buy the steel, find a building site and provide a place for him to stay, plus his hourly fee, and in about 2 to three WEEKS you have a hull all tacked together ready for finish welding! His designs have very little welding too, so that goes quickly. If you use pre-primed steel, or aluminum you skip the sandblasting step. If you build a framed hull and it takes months then the primer fails and you have to sandblast. His plans and book are incredibly reasonably priced.

I have sailed on one of his 36 foot boats. It sailed amazingly well, like it was on rails, and was much quicker than I expected for a steel boat. It DID take that guy 7 years to finish it. However shortly after starting it, his house burned to the ground! I believe the pictures I took of his boat are still on the Origami website. Some of these boats come on the market from time to time, and most of them sell very quickly, for prices that sound like the owner didn't get hosed.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, if you're serious about building your own boat, please don't skimp on the materials. The materials end up being a very small fraction of the real cost of the boat, and if you skimp on the materials, you end up with an inferior boat that will be a waste of time and resources.... going with premium materials is the way to do this, if you're serious about it.

Chris White's book, The Cruising Multihull, has a great section on building your own boat. While it may be focussed on multihulls specifically, there is a lot of good advice in the book for ANYONE BUILDING THEIR OWN BOAT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
My dock neighbor built and amazing boat BUT it took 12 years

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 08-26-2010

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Here is a website that discusses boat selection including building your own. Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction In it he concludes that building your own makes no sense. If you must may I suggest that you do not "Try to reinvent the wheel" or in otherwords study a number of production boats and take the best systems from them to incorporate in your boat.
Old 08-26-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
he's not been been back.... maybe I slapped em to hard? eep.. sorry!

My boat is for sale.

Old 08-26-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
I agree with what's been said, The only reason to build a boat if you want to build a boat. If your goal is to sail, buy one ready to go.

If your interest in building a boat comes from wanting a unique interior, (custom is overused and meaningless these days) refitting a good project boat is a decent compromise, you can normally pick them up at seriously reduced cost, and rebuild to suit your preferences, taking as much or as little time as you want.
Old 08-26-2010

hvacfellow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
he's not been been back.... maybe I slapped em to hard? eep.. sorry!
The SLAP was just enough to wake me up. I think I will look into refitting an existing vessel...which was my original intent before I had the great idea of building from scratch. Thanks for all the responses and the good advice.

-HVAC

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.