SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Eastward Ho 30 - Construction Details? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/67700-eastward-ho-30-construction-details.html)

KMZ365 08-25-2010 06:41 PM

Eastward Ho 30 - Construction Details?

Does anyone know the hull and deck construction details of an Eastward Ho 30? Is the hull cored with structural foam, is it lead ballast? is the deck cored with end grain balsa with plywood at stress points?

Thanks.

sailingdog 08-26-2010 12:38 AM

The Eastward Ho series of boats were built by the CE Ryder boat building company out of Rhode Island. They were well known for building several other better known lines of boats, including the Southern Crosses, the SeaSprites, as well as the Eastward Hos.

Many of the boats they made were built using a heavy airex-cored laminate for the hulls and deck. I'd point out that many of the CE Ryder boats were assembled, but were then sold and the interiors were owner-finished.

I don't know about the ballast, but IIRC, the Eastward Ho series of boats were twin keelers.

CE Ryder's basic construction is pretty robust IMHO, and their boats, like the SeaSprites and the Southern Crosses, have proven themselves very seaworthy over the years.

johnshasteen 08-26-2010 11:49 AM

Back in the early 80's we had both an Eastward Ho 24 and later a 31 ( I am not aware of a 30). They are both full keel (real lead in the keel and only single keel) and thick, solid fiberglas hull boats, (the 24 has an aft-hung rudder, so it's a very looooong keel) and were built by Portsmouth Yachts in the 70's.

KMZ365 08-26-2010 04:06 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected; it is an EH31.

Johnshasteen - Did you have an autopilot on your EH31 and if so, could I ask what brand and model and did it work well?

johnshasteen 08-26-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMZ365 (Post 637103)
Thanks for the info. I stand corrected; it is an EH31.

Johnshasteen - Did you have an autopilot on your EH31 and if so, could I ask what brand and model and did it work well?

I had a tiller-pilot that came with the EH24,we didn't use it much, but when we did, it worked fairly well. I think it was an Autohelm.

sailingdog 08-27-2010 06:32 AM

Johnó

I'd point out that CE Ryder actually built the boats for Portsmouth Yachts, at least in the USA. Then again, CE Ryder built boats for several different manufacturers, as well as selling boats under their own name. IIRC, they offered several different keel designs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnshasteen (Post 636986)
Back in the early 80's we had both an Eastward Ho 24 and later a 31 ( I am not aware of a 30). They are both full keel (real lead in the keel and only single keel) and thick, solid fiberglas hull boats, (the 24 has an aft-hung rudder, so it's a very looooong keel) and were built by Portsmouth Yachts in the 70's.