Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Cranes are expensive!

Hello Everyone!

Has anyone ever used a sign company to help remove a mast?? A fellow boater threw that idea out to me the other day.

I checked out crane pricing and was quoted about $800...seems a little much. I took a mast down with a travel lift and the help of two buddies once and it only took about 45 mins. However, my marina won't attempt it with their travel lift and they won't let me rent it from them for an hour (understandable).

Does anyone have any creative/inexpensive solutions to removing a mast?? My boat is on the hard in Maryland.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingWebGuy View Post
Hello Everyone!

Has anyone ever used a sign company to help remove a mast?? A fellow boater threw that idea out to me the other day.

I checked out crane pricing and was quoted about $800...seems a little much. I took a mast down with a travel lift and the help of two buddies once and it only took about 45 mins. However, my marina won't attempt it with their travel lift and they won't let me rent it from them for an hour (understandable).

Does anyone have any creative/inexpensive solutions to removing a mast?? My boat is on the hard in Maryland.

Thanks!

I know of a little rigging shop in Florida that only charges one hundred dollars for the crane and eighty bucks per hour for labor. They let you do all the prep work if you want to and usually can pull a stick in less than an hour.

I guess that one reason that it's better to use a rigger instead of a sign hanger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Heres a thread on raising a mast without a crane

You just need to find the right bridge!
Old 08-25-2010
Almost land locked sailor

Freshbreeze is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Heres a thread on raising a mast without a crane

You just need to find the right bridge!
The very method I used last time i stepped my mast!

Old 08-25-2010
Almost land locked sailor

Freshbreeze is on a distinguished road
How about making an 'A' frame, and use block and tackle?!
Old 08-25-2010

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Do you know how many crane accidents there are each year? Take a look! Crane Accident Statistics

As an inspector of cranes I can tell you that it only take one loose bolt to ruin ones whole day/life.

The insurance for cranes is high so that gets passed onto the customers.

YouTube - mobile crane accidents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can often rent a bucket truck or bucket lift, most of which will have the capacity to lift the mast on a smaller sailboat, say up to about 35' LOA for less than that. If you know anyone else that needs to unstep their mast, you might want to see if you can share the cost of the rental. Also, if your mast is deck-stepped, you may be able to fashion an a-frame setup to lower it.

Another option is to use halyards of two sailboats rafted up to yours, one on each side.... If they are about the same size or larger, you can usually use their halyards to lift your mast out... and lower it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2010

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
High & Dry marinas have fork trucks that go way high and have long forks.

DB
Old 08-26-2010

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
You can often rent a bucket truck or bucket lift, most of which will have the capacity to lift the mast on a smaller sailboat, say up to about 35' LOA for less than that.
You better not tell them what you are using it for. It's against OSHA regs to use a manlift for other then personnel and their equipment. Manlifts are rated for a certain weight. If you exceed that then your looking for trouble.

Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I'm not advocating using a manlift to lift something above its rated capacity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarRey View Post
You better not tell them what you are using it for. It's against OSHA regs to use a manlift for other then personnel and their equipment. Manlifts are rated for a certain weight. If you exceed that then your looking for trouble.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.