Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
The PNW in the summer is absolutely great. My wife is a teacher, so I understand the schedule. The weather isn't reliably nice ("nice" means only some rain) until after July 4th and is usually great from then into early September. The only downside to cruising here in the summer is that the wind is usually light. The advantage is that you don't need AC in your boats up here (although heat is a good idea).
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2010

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Great steady winds and a million destinations jumping off from the Newport, RI/Narragansett Bay area. Very highly recommended. Fairly dense state so probably as good a place to find a teaching job as any.
Old 08-26-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Can't argue about New England being the best in the summer but I wouldn't wish the winter on an enemy........ just another vehicle to play the winter time life or death dogem-cars with Winter Sucks. Anywhere but here in the Winter.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 08-26-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
Can't argue about New England being the best in the summer but I wouldn't wish the winter on an enemy........ just another vehicle to play the winter time life or death dogem-cars with Winter Sucks. Anywhere but here in the Winter.
I guess you are not a snow boarder then

We are thinking to retire to New England to get closer to Sunday River or Sugarloaf. I think Portland is a good possibility. We will start looking some houses this winter when we head up there.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The South Coast region of Massachusetts is probably far more affordable and equally desirable in terms of possible destinations...actually a bit better IMHO, since it is a reasonably short trip to Boston, Cape Cod, the islands and Newport/Block island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
Great steady winds and a million destinations jumping off from the Newport, RI/Narragansett Bay area. Very highly recommended. Fairly dense state so probably as good a place to find a teaching job as any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Second New England as good summer cruising grounds.
Third. You could spend a decade and not see it all. You will always have a half dozen favs within an hour or two of wherever you land.
Old 08-26-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
My wife and I lived aboard our sailboats for 32 years while we both taught in Northeast Florida. The Carribean was never within our reach during summers off, but we regularly sailed to the Bahamas. The peak of hurricane season is in early september and we were rarely threatened before our return. Of course, we had regular weekend cruising or evening sails in the St. Johns River after work some days along with good sailing for Christmas or spring breaks. Now that we are retired we do love cruising in New England for the summers, but I can not imagine having my boat decomissioned for half the year or more. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-26-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Lets see here, I can ski in the early morning, come home about 3 or so, go sailing in evening. Or go play golf in early spring ie march after a day of skiing. I can go south to Bend OR, ski/board at Bachelor, gold any of the 18 or so course in afternoon. Or go to Hood River, ski/board at Timberline ALL but 2 weeks of the year, in summer ski from 7-noon or there abouts, go windsurf the columbia in afternoon, a few courses below in portland etc.

Or as mentioned, live in greater seattle, ski in cascades one day sail the next. ..............

No humidity to speak of........hmmmmmmm.........

now add in all of fasters info...........Why would I want to live somewhere else!

marty
Old 08-29-2010

jim2553 is on a distinguished road
@CaptainForce are you still live aboard?

I have located a charter company Northwest Sailing Charters ~ Cruise the San Juan Islands ~ Bellingham, WA ~ Crewed Vacations or Private Charters and have started a conversation about how we can go about setting a cruise for next summer. This thread has been awesome at helping us figure that out, i appreciate all of the feedback.

I think we are leaning toward a really neat option they have where we gain a few certifications while sailing with one of their captains. I hope to be able to report that we are "living the dream" come next summer!
Old 08-29-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2553 View Post
I have located a charter company Northwest Sailing Charters ~ Cruise the San Juan Islands ~ Bellingham, WA ~ Crewed Vacations or Private Charters and have started a conversation about how we can go about setting a cruise for next summer. This thread has been awesome at helping us figure that out, i appreciate all of the feedback.

I think we are leaning toward a really neat option they have where we gain a few certifications while sailing with one of their captains. I hope to be able to report that we are "living the dream" come next summer!
You may get a slight cost advantage going to a Canadian outfit - Island Cruising, Cooper Boating Center, Desolation Charters etc... Our dollar's around $.95 these days - 5% of a charter fee will add up to something....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)