SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tides in Portsmouth NH

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Boasun 
#1 ·
On September 13, 2010 (or there about) we will be sailing a boat from the Great Bay Marina to Rockport, Massachusetts. (The final destination is East Greenwich, RI.) The boat is a Dana 24. Our concerns are with the strong currents, differences in time schedules between marina and Portsmouth, and going through 2 bridges that need to be opened. I was thinking the best time to go through the mouth of the Piscataqua River would be near slack, probably low time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Also, if we left later in the day, we might go to the Isle of Shoals rather than Rockport for the first night.)

Thanks

#2 ·
My general recollection is that the anchorage at the Isle of Shoals is pretty open, it wouldn't seem like much of an over night destination. I'd skip Rockport too, you can save a lot of distance and have a fun evening, by heading straight to Glouchester via the Annisquam river. head over to Rocky Neck and have dinner at one of the restaurants, they may let you spend the night on their dock for free. try these guys The Studio, Rocky Neck, Gloucester, Massachusetts

Save some time to walk around.

#3 ·
sailed out of the piscataqua and little harbor for 20 years. you'll be fine at the last two hrs on either side of the tide--stay away from the middle third, it will either flush you down the river or you'll only make 2 knots. Unless Rockport is your final destination, Annisquam is a good call. very pretty and fairly easy to navigate, especially on a rising tide.

#4 ·
Thank you both so much for the information. I think we might try to leave Great Bay 2 hours before low tide at Dover Point. It looks like Dover Point is an hour a head of Portsmouth so we'll get to the bridges just a little before slack. That is the plan anyway. As far as Annisquam River is concerned, everything we read was that nevagating it was difficult primarily because of the visibiltiy around bends. I crossed it off but you both make it sound very inviting. Back to the books!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.