SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Would you buy a new boat?

7K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  sailpower 
#1 ·
Let say that you can afford it, but you are a fugal, sensible and relative low ego emission type. What is the main advantages of buying a new boat or a demo?

#2 ·
reasons....bragging rights, ego, thin hulls, cored hulls, low grade stainless, austere, no charm, very little real wood, stress cracks, falling rudders, keel to hull problems. Just sayin... :)

#3 ·
What Denise said . . . . Sure, it's nice to be able to get all the bells & whistles you want and then customize to your heart's content, but that also means you go through the teething troubles and the trial and error. By buying a Good Old Boat, I had two previous owners do all that for me. my biggest frustration after buying the boat was that I culdn't buy anything FOR it. It was all already there.

#4 ·
I don't think it makes any sense at all. A well maintained older boat will be much cheaper and more reliable. At comparable price points the older boat will have drastically superior build quality, equipment, etc.

Well made and maintained fiberglass hulls basically last forever, so the difference between a new boat and an older one is the quality and condition of the paint, rigging, accessories, etc.

Cars are another great example of this. I drive a 1987 Diesel Mercedes which is in practically new condition at 230k miles, and only cost $3,000. If I had bought the absolute cheapest of new cars for three or four times the price I wouldn't have a fraction of the same quality, reliability, comfort, efficiency, etc. My $3000 car is comparable to new $50,000 cars, not new $10,000 cars.

#6 ·
You can often get what you want in a boat... and don't have to deal with the problems caused by previous owners... but that doesn't mean you'll have a problem free boat.. :D You may have a warranty, but the warranty might not mean much—see Tartan/C&C if you wonder why I say this... and you'll take a huge hit on the price in terms of depreciation.

#7 ·
Our consumerist society has a strong bias towards things that are considered "new" even if they're considerably inferior. Because of supply and demand, this makes used things an incredible value for people whom consider the value of things more objectively.

I hardly buy anything new, and as a result I have much nicer and higher quality products for less money than people whom insist on having "new." Plus, when I don't need something anymore I can usually resell it for as much as I paid.

#12 ·
People like me buy new so people like you will have a future supply of "old" boats.....you know, those quality boats of tomorrow that will be better than the new ones of that day....:)

I've bought several new boats and have never regretted it. Also, always new cars. Sorry, but (while I don't have one), I like the new Mercedes much better than the old ones.

Truthfully, the economy needs both types. If everyone bought new cars/boats, there would be no market for older/used cars/boats, so those who wanted to buy new would have a problem getting rid of the old item.....Likewise, if everyone bought only older/used cars/boats, factories producing new items would shut down. Then there is a problem for factory workers...we all can't be Walmart greeters or hamburger flippers.

#8 · (Edited)
I bought a new boat. Here is why I did it.

1) Dealer warranty
2) Got it at a price lower than 5 year old used boats (dealership needed it off floorplan)
3) Modern equipment like electronics & windlass without having do major surgery to install on a boat not designed for those things
4) Modern construction techniques...poly/plastic water tanks and fuel tanks....I can hold city water without tanks getting eaten up from the inside from chlorine and hold fuel without having to worry about additive damage. Electrical system that wont dim or spark because it needs upgrading to modern standards.
5) Modern engine that can run for years and years without having to worry about whether it will work when I need it most.
6) foot for foot, much more interior room and much more utility...makes it more comfortable than even coastal cruisers from the past.
7) Modern conveniences like in-mast furler
8) I have features (skylights and larger ports) that make the interior bright and air flow easy...not like living in a cave. I understand the compromises that go along with said features.
9) I have a swim platform...many older designs down. This is a great feature at anchor, and I'd say a safetfy feature when offloading/onboarding.
10) Construction techniques that save weight have opened up many more days that I can sail rather than bob around in the hot sun and light air days of the florida summer. Try doing that in a full-keel 35 footer from the 70s that weighs 18,000 lbs rather than my 12,000 lbs

BTW, I have plenty of teak on my boat (I'd say too much, I'd rather have less) and my stainless is just as shiny as any vintage old shoe.

I bought our boat because its perfect for the sailing I intend to do right now...and for the next 10-12 years. I can sail in Florida and go anywhere up and down the US Coast. I can go over to the Bahamas and basically anchor almost anywhere with my sub-5 foot draft. I could even take sabbattical and go down island if I wanted.

Would I go across the Atlantic or take her to Hawaii...likely not. But I'm not in a position to do that right now anyway....I'll get my PSC 40 in due time! Would I ever buy the PSC 40 new...heck no, couldn't afford it! I'll have to live with the compromises of a used boat at that time, but thats another day. For now...I sail :D

#9 ·
Custom build or a new production boat?

New custom build- sure if you have the $$$. You get exactly what you want (and are willing to pay for)

New production boat? Well, you'll have a warranty.... and a lot of depreciation. Quality of items will be up to the builder ( you can guess what that means);)

#10 ·
I'd point out that custom boats, properly done, aren't really all that expensive. I priced out a custom-built Hammerhead 34 trimaran for a friend and it comes in at less than a NEW CORSAIR 31 trimaran does, and is larger to boot.

#11 ·
Our boat is a 1982, that was well cared for. I don't have the kind of money to buy new unless I win the lotto, and never had a problem with that....until last week.

There was a nice looking boat sitting at the brokerage dock that caught my eye. The wife and I went to take a look. It was a 2010 Pacific Seacraft 31', used with 10 hours on it. A death in the family forced the sale. I must admit, after about 2 minutes I was drooling. She was absolutely beautiful! Only a mere $239,995.00. OUCH! Check out these photos. Sea Lake Yacht Sales - Brokerage Inventory

Now, after a good look at that, we proceeded down the dock where the brokerage also has a 1994 Pacific Seacraft 34' for $132,000.00. I did not get that drool factor. In reality, I *guess* the 15 year old, larger boat, for $107,000.00 less is a much better deal dollar wise (but not WOW! wise).

My guess is that someone buying a new boat, is going to just buy it because they can, and not ask others if they would....so yes, if I could - I would.

#13 ·
I noticed one poster compared boats to cars. That's not a valid comparison. Too many variables in boats. Also for most folks a boat is a long term commitment. I have had three boats in my sailing years, all new. By the time I was ready to get my third boat I felt I knew enough to get an older boat and fix it up to my liking. However I ended up with a new boat as I didn't want to spend a couple of years fixing an old boat to my liking. The new one was ready to go right after commissioning. I lived on the boat throughout the commissioning process and saw what the dealer did. The day after commissioning I was off cruising. Now, as for cars, I always buy a two year old one!

#26 ·
I noticed one poster compared boats to cars. That's not a valid comparison. Too many variables in boats. Also for most folks a boat is a long term commitment.
It is a perfectly valid comparison. New boats really can be compared to two types of purchases, cars and homes.

Boats are like cars in that they depreciate over time with most of the depreciation happening in the early years. Sure, boats don't loose 25% of their value the first year like cars do but they lose a lot in the first few years.

Boats are like houses in that beyond the initial purchase of a new boat or house, there are additional costs. With a house, you can conservatively figure an additional 10% of the cost of the house will be spent on window coverings, furnishings, and landscaping. The same is true of a boat, although a different percentage. Think of all the "stuff" you have to buy for a new boat, from anchors to key floats.

So, new boats have more costs associated with them just as new houses. New boats depreciate, just like new cars do.

BTW, I consider a car purchase to be a long term commitment as well.

#16 ·
I'd Love To Consider Such a Purchase

I'm frugal.

I'd love to be able to have a new boat with the best of the best and the newest of the new, even if there are some new boat issues! The fact is that I do not see any way where that will happen. I sail when I can as best as I can and I am happy. My boat is 22 years old and it is in fair shape. It is safe and offers an enjoyable outing.

If I somehow came across enough money I'd love to be able to consider purchasing a new boat. I'm sure that I would consider such a purchase. You only get one life to live and I'd purchase a new boat if I had the chance.

Paul

#19 ·
Nope...Id buy one about 4to 5 years old....Old enough to have been depreciated a fair bit and also old enough to have been upgraded with electronics and all the bugs worked out of her.

A Tayana 58 CC custom Ketch ought to do the trick....coarse those Wally's still give me goose bumps..:D

Attachments

#20 ·
It would depend upon the type of boat you want, I personally would love a Jeanneau Sun Fast 3200, Elan 310 or 350, Beneateau's Figaro II or the new III coming out, Ask yourself, how many boats are out there like these that are 5-10 yrs old? hmmmmmmm..... None! So, it will be awhile before I get one, or I just need to go buy a new one! there are a few used, but for the most part far and few in between.

On the other hand, lets look at PSC, still (were) building the same old shoe as they were 20 some odd yrs ago, so the new ones were competing with 20 yr old ones.......which would you buy? yep, save some bucks, buy the older one! Altho as pointed out above too, that 1981 PSC is selling for what one paid for it 30 yrs ago in those dollars, so not really a drop.

My boat was bought for about $25K new in 85 by the original owner, I bought for $22K not much depriciation to a degree over 20 yrs! Granted 1985 dollars are worth less than 2005 dollars, but still, 20 yrs use for $3000 in lowered cost.......Maintenance for a new rig this size runs the same, moorage costs are the same for new vs used of the same size etc. Plus as I figured out, you end up spending about $3 or 4 for every $ you paid if you really do an upgrade etc. Reality is, I could have come pretty close to buying a new one for not a lot more! and had fewer headaches to a degree. Then again, I would not have had my boat in Good Old Boat with a new one either.

Take your pick, either works.

marty

#22 · (Edited)
It's interesting that one of the strongest arguments for buying a used boat over a new boat is that it is more "economical"...i.e. you get a good boat way below cost of a new one. But many of the same people who present that argument indicate that they would buy a high quality/high price boat (such as PSC) over a production boat (Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau), while in most cases they will be doing coastal sailing, not crossing oceans. In coastal sailing, I submit that the lower cost production boats (new or used) will handle coastal situations just as well as the higher priced "quality" boats. And if that is the case, the argument for frugality would seem to favor buying the production boat over the quality boat unless one was going to cross oceans. And it would seem that the choice to buy a used quality boat over a production boat that will do the job comes down to: That's what I like and I can do it, even if it might not be the most economical choice (even though we are going used)....i.e. just like the guy that buys new.

The choice to buy new or used is quite complicated. A young person just starting his career or a family with limited funds for boating will tend to buy used, smaller, and that's the right choice for them. A mid/late career person who has been fortunate enough to accummulate wealth will lean towards newer, and larger. If you plan to live aboard while working at a static location, your choice will be different from a live aboard vagabond moving from port to port. If you want to entertain friends in mild coastal conditions, those big cockpit production boats are better suited than that small cockpit blue water boat. If your boat has to do double duty as your week-end "condo" and as your sail boat, your choice will favor one of those "floating condos" that many like to put down.

The beauty of all this is: no matter what your boating budget: a few hundred dollars or a few million dollars, there is a boat out there (new or used) for you. And in my opinion, you shouldn't let limited funds keep you from the sport.

#23 ·
I will stick with the chef. New Hans Christian or Tayana vs old..both great made boats, so why not have new. C&C...I would NEVER by a new one. Build quality from the C&C 35 MKIII 1984 which I have is so much superior to the new ones. I would continue to upgrade the systems on my boat. New Taratn...never. Older pre 1998...excellant. New Sabre...as good as the older ones...even better. CS and Pacific Seacraft...geart quality

Personally I stay awary from the Catalina, Bennes and Hunters although I marvel at their room and creatuyre comforts, it is not my style of sailing. I beleive they provide a lot of people the oppertunioty to get boats and have family out o, but again not what I want my boat to look like or sail like.I dont ridcule them as everyone has their own preferrrence.

I see molre poeple with older non production boats stay with theolder models, where the new production boats seem to have a lot of turnover with the owners constantly trading in for new..or up in size.

Dave

#24 ·
I would only purchase new if I were having one custom built. Not so much due to economic reasons, but I personally believe that some build issues won't show up until they are sailed a bit. I'd rather go into it knowing the flaws rather than being surprsied.

Yes, I know there are always surprises but on a used boat you sort of expect it on a new one, its just disappointing as all get out.

#27 ·
Buy used! I've sailed Paloma for 20++ years and never looked back or gotten "new boat fever" I look at solidly built sailboats like my old '84 Mercedes 300CD, I keep driving it (26 years now), because Mercedes hasn't built a better car since - a lot of sailboats are like that.

#28 ·
What drives me crazy are those selling their 5 yr. old used boats for nearly what a new one would cost. CPYB fee added on I guess. Might as well buy new in that case.

If you've got the money, buy new, good for the economy, good for everyone, besides, you may not always have the money! Newer is not always better, but quality will always be quality. I prefer quality, new or used.

#29 ·
My observations, like all those above, are annecdotal, but I have an experience that is somewhat unique. I bought a new Morgan Out Island in 1973. Thirteen years later in 1985 I bought a used 1973 Morgan Out Island. Comparing all variables remaining, I would choose to buy the used boat, assuming it was in good condition. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

#30 · (Edited)
Honestly, there's not much in the way of current production cruisers or racer/cruisers that really does it for me. Sport boats, sure. If I had the $$$ I'd think about a new Farr 25 or Melges 32. I like the Esse day sailors, and if I were so inclined for something very pretty and day saily/cruisey, the Morris 29 is a sweet little boat. But for anything over 30-35', I'd go custom. Probably call up Mark Mills and see about having something drawn up that could be built cold molded at Schooner Creek, or buy Carl Schumaker's 50' design a la 'Heart of Gold' and build it cold molded... hmmm, or maybe Cookson built. Quite aside from the price of new vs. used, one of the reasons we have the boat we have is that there just hasn't been anything of comparable build quality with the performance and relative comfort we were looking that's been brought to market in the past 10-12 years. For pure racing in a new boat for the ocean I'd look at an open 30' or 40'.

#31 ·
Part of the joy in sailing for me is sharing with others, but not many of my friends and relatives are comfortable with spending more than a few hours on my 20ft boat. Or is it really spending more than a few hours with me?

So if I could, I would buy a new Leopard 38. Space for others to ovenight, no heeling for those that turn ashen as the boat tips, and speed. A new Gemini may be more realistic in price range but less space generous.

I like monhulls, but I like sharing my passion more.

#34 ·
As I posted earlier I've had three boats, all new. A few posters talked a lot about "taking a depreciation hit" and letting the original owner take this "hit". Here is a real experience, not made up in a dreamworld. I bought a CS30 in 1984, $72,000. I sold it privately in 1988 for $70,000. I bought a CS36 Merlin in 1988 for $130,000. Up until five years ago these boats were still going for over $100,000, some for as much as $125,000. 22 years later I still have the Merlin. I bought a Beneteau 393 in 2004, again new. Have had it for six years and hope to sail it for quite a few years more. Owning sailboats is usually a long term proposition. Unlike cars they do not depreciate immediately after leaving the showroom floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.