SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need help identifying this sailing dinghy

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CrazyRu 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I've got this dinghy that has no mast or sails or any other identifying marks. She's about 14'-16' with about a 1' draft and HEAVY
And I'm hoping that someone can recognize her...

Photobucket

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a cat-rigged boat, with the hole for the mast that far forward. What's the bottom look like???

#3 ·
Not sure exactly how the bottom looks as I've been having trouble getting it out of the water.
It's up the Miami river and I'm trying to get it to a boat ramp so that I can get her home to work on. The closest ramps that I can find are about 5-10 miles away, and rowing that far isn't a great idea for me.
So if I could sail it to the boat ramp it'd be a lot more fun for my wife and I.
I'm hoping that I can find a sailplan or just wondering if a traditional mainsail from a MFG Sidewinder would fit (http://www.sailmfg.com/sidewinder/images/sidewinderlayout.jpg)

From what I can see of the bottom she is very wine glassy.
there was apparently a daggerboard at one time, but that's been glassed over; and the holes ripped out of the deck appear to be where the rigging attached, including a possible forestay on the stem.
you can see the unique shape of the transom and rudder in the reflection...

Thanks again for any help.

#6 ·
It seems like the boat had freestanding mast, there was no standing rigging.
The rig from Laser should fit right in. Or, cheaper version - get an old windsurfing mast and make some sort of sail. Another option - rig from Optimist, probably too small, but it should do the job. Sunfish rig will work too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.