Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010

questionsquestions is on a distinguished road
Yes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
on a scale of 1 - 10 in bad .. how bad is she ?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2010

LOL. That's hard to say, and I'm not obfuscating. I have re-done all exterior teak, Cetol Natural, and it's gorgeous. Most exterior woodwork has been painted w/ white Awl-grip, also excellent. Two of three hatches have been replaced with new. (There is a new third hatch uninstalled). Bottom has had any blisters ground out, epoxied and glassed, barrier-coated with Pettit, and 3 coats of Pettit Vivid. (needs one more coat before going in the water.) Rudder has been removed, totally repaired and reglassed and re-installed, hull has been sanded, faired, and primed. Prop shaft was removed, new inner and outer cutlass bearings installed. Stuffing box repacked. Engine was overhauled (by Perkins) 2000 hours ago. She has a new Pro-Furl furling unit w/ a new Mack 135% cruising genoa. My point here is that what has been done, has been very carefully done, with no shortcuts. I usually like 1-10 scales, but I'm having a hard time with this one. My guess is that within 30 days, she could be put in the water and sailed. (No paint, no dodger, storage not made super-efficient, refrigeration not repaired, etc.)
Old 08-30-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like your a few thousand away from having a wonderful boat to sail or sell...

No offence to people in the business but I could put a Professional looking pint job on your already prepared hull for <500.00 bucks ( If it was mine..)

The yard wanted 3500.00 to paint my hull from the topside lower stipe under the ports down only...I laughed and I said no thanks...I have painted several boats many cars and lots of equipment....Find a Auto body painter and make friends...he can do the same for wine,wemon & song .. Or a couple hundred bucks on a day off...( you doing all the prep that is be forhand)...The prep is the hard part...painting is the easy part...sounds like you have done most of it already.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-30-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2010

Yeah, so far everything we've done has been at least "professional" looking-- usually better. But waaay more time-consuming than any professional could ever afford.
Old 08-30-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Well...if you've already purchased the paint..and can do a "professional " job..then if the spirit moves you should do it....it sounded like you heart wasn't into the job..
a freshly painted hull can only help the asking price..

A 79 KP 44 is a Classic, someone looking for this type of vessel imo will be more interested in her seaworthyness than her cove stripe....It's sounds like everything that you've done to date has been quality and that will not go unnoticed.

I guess, you'd have to weigh..your time painting the hull...vs...what you'd have to discount for an unpainted hull...and whether or not that is an acceptable delta.