SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How far to go fixing up a boat?

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  tempest 
#1 ·
How far makes sense when one is wanting to sell a boat? We are in the middle of a total refit, but have changed our plans and want to sell. Boat is 40', good boat, well-known name. This boat needs refrigeration, lifelines need to be replaced, bilge needs re-paint, the water tanks we would not think of drinking out of, the electronics are outdated... Interior is pretty nice. The boat is ready for the hull paint, which at this point could be any color anybody wanted. Same for boot stripe, bottom paint. The dodger needs to be replaced as well -- do we do that, or let the next owners pick their design and canvas color? (There is a new Mack Pack, and some other canvas already done, in a neutral color, and hull paint purchased, not white though! Kind of a light sand--). I guess the question is, when you're burned out on a boat, do you just sell it as is or do you fix it up? Or stop at what point in between? I'm well aware that all the time and money we put into completing this boat we won't see in equal dollars, unless we make it really, really spiffy and somebody who has exactly our taste as well as lots of money comes along.... which seems unlikely. But then again, not everybody wants a "project boat." Should we put it up for sale and add $200 to the sale price every day, as we continue to work? That's not an actual for-real question, but it's kind of the way I see it....

#2 ·
I would at least list it as it is and see what kind of a response you get. If you don't get any interest, take it off the market and do the cosmetic stuff. No way would I mess with refrigeration, hull paint, canvas or electronics. That is too much money going out for something the next owner probably won't love anyway.

#3 ·
I would clean up the boat to the point that it presents well...sort of like staging a house for sale.

Get rid of any clutter, Clean and paint the bilge, Sand and paint the bottom, clean the water tanks. In other words, do the reasonably inexpensive stuff that will make her show better the only real cost is your time and a few bucks

As far as the dodger, electronics, Hull paint etc. I would leave this to the next owner. They will have their own preferences.

While it's on the market waiting to be sold, do whatever cosmetics you can do.
Wash and wax, cetol the brightwork ( or whatever was there). Perhaps replace any running rigging that is in bad shape.

Do the normal maintenance.. Grease seacocks, lubricate winches, change the engine oil...etc etc...Clean the engine...

#13 ·
I would clean up the boat to the point that it presents well...sort of like staging a house for sale.

And there in lyes the rub...:confused:

Being one who has compleatly rebuilt a couple three different boats and cars and a house I can tell you ANYTHING left undone almost nulifies all your diligent work and expence to date.

Buyers are a fickel lot even in a hot market and unless the pedigree of your boat is such that people are on a feeding frenze to get their hands on one you are up against it just trying to give it away!

You are going to have to get the boat to a point where avrage Joe and his wife see it as a almost turn key deal...There are not a lot of buyers out there that can see past a unfinished portion of a basically finished boat and see the potentual.

This is my experiance TIFWIW.

I can understand the burn out stage you are at....shoot Im burned out on my Insurance rebuild fiasco..:eek: .and Iv done next to nothing of it...Remember 99% of buyers, bought their boat to use not to slave over to get ready to use.

Buckel down and finish her...she will sell then.

#7 ·
IMHP if the boat is not finished and in usable condition your going to really limit the people who will even look as well as take a BIG price hit

To me as a person doing a 1.5 year refit it sounds like a BIG list with 40' prices to complete

#8 ·
I drove 250 miles to look at an Islander 36 that could have been purchased for a song (after speaking with the seller). I had a few photos of the boat from the outside, taken by a friend. It did not look bad in those pics, and really went with the intention of buying it. But after looking at the boat for an hour, inside and out - decided I would not want it for free.

The wife and I walked over to the fuel dock where there was a clean 36' Hunter for sale. We owned it the next weekend. It is no Islander, but ready to sail and super clean. The price was 1/2 what the Islander would have cost to fix up, if I did the work myself and had the time which I didn't at the time.

Best wishes with your decision. I say fix it up, or put it on EBAY and take what you can get if you have lost your enthusiam.

Ralph

#10 ·
One thing is, we wouldn't be selling the boat pretending that this work doesn't need to be done, as in a few misleading come-on type photos. And yes, we would get tools and stuff off. We would sell her as what she is-- a half-finished project boat. Just typing that, it sounds so bad... And only we will know that what's been done has been done really well...

#12 ·
If possible fix it up to the point where it theoretically could go in the water. That way you can list it as useable "as is." If you cant get it to that point just put it on ebay, describe it as a project boat that wasn't completed and hope for the best. You probably wont get much out of it, but you I doubt you will get any more for a project thats slightly more completed.

#14 ·
Seems to me that spending money on a refurb while it may make selling the boat an easier proposition you will never get back what you put in, be that equipment or time.

OTOH, as others have said, clean her up, first impressions are oh so very important.

#23 ·
LOL. That's hard to say, and I'm not obfuscating. I have re-done all exterior teak, Cetol Natural, and it's gorgeous. Most exterior woodwork has been painted w/ white Awl-grip, also excellent. Two of three hatches have been replaced with new. (There is a new third hatch uninstalled). Bottom has had any blisters ground out, epoxied and glassed, barrier-coated with Pettit, and 3 coats of Pettit Vivid. (needs one more coat before going in the water.) Rudder has been removed, totally repaired and reglassed and re-installed, hull has been sanded, faired, and primed. Prop shaft was removed, new inner and outer cutlass bearings installed. Stuffing box repacked. Engine was overhauled (by Perkins) 2000 hours ago. She has a new Pro-Furl furling unit w/ a new Mack 135% cruising genoa. My point here is that what has been done, has been very carefully done, with no shortcuts. I usually like 1-10 scales, but I'm having a hard time with this one. My guess is that within 30 days, she could be put in the water and sailed. (No paint, no dodger, storage not made super-efficient, refrigeration not repaired, etc.)

#24 · (Edited)
Sounds like your a few thousand away from having a wonderful boat to sail or sell...

No offence to people in the business but I could put a Professional looking pint job on your already prepared hull for <500.00 bucks ( If it was mine..:D)

The yard wanted 3500.00 to paint my hull from the topside lower stipe under the ports down only...I laughed and I said no thanks...I have painted several boats many cars and lots of equipment....Find a Auto body painter and make friends...he can do the same for wine,wemon & song ..:D Or a couple hundred bucks on a day off...( you doing all the prep that is be forhand)...The prep is the hard part...painting is the easy part...sounds like you have done most of it already.

#26 ·
Well...if you've already purchased the paint..and can do a "professional " job..then if the spirit moves you should do it....it sounded like you heart wasn't into the job..
a freshly painted hull can only help the asking price..

A 79 KP 44 is a Classic, someone looking for this type of vessel imo will be more interested in her seaworthyness than her cove stripe....It's sounds like everything that you've done to date has been quality and that will not go unnoticed.

I guess, you'd have to weigh..your time painting the hull...vs...what you'd have to discount for an unpainted hull...and whether or not that is an acceptable delta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.