SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

TV Problem

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  danielgoldberg 
#1 · (Edited)
Every so often our TV would just pop off and not come on for a while. Then, it starts to work again, usually after 30 minutes or so. It used to happen only every so often, now it seems to be happening much more frequently. I don't want to say every time we use it, but it sure feels like that. Whatever the actual number, it definitely is happening much more often. It happens only when we're running the TV off of the inverter (a Freedom 30). When running off the genset or shore power it's not a problem.

At first, I thought it was caused by voltage drop or surge. I added a surge protector. But, now I don't think that's the problem after having experimented a bit and not noticing any voltage drop or spike when the TV "pops." I'm now beginning to think it's a problem related to our inverter being a modified sine wave inverter (though all our other somewhat sensitive electronics don't seem to have a problem).

In case it matters, it's a flat screen LCD with integral DVD player.

Obviously this is not a mission critical item, but with two young kids on board, it ain't nuthin' either! NO ONE is happy when the TV pops off in the middle of Harry Potter, or what have you, and the disc is trapped inside the TV.

Any thoughts on the problen, and of course, the fix?

DG

See less See more
#2 ·
It could be that the inverter is starting to go. Does it happen only after the TV has been on for a certain amount of time, or is it completely random? If it takes a minimum amount of time, it could be a heat related failure in the inverter, and happens when it heats up.

Some flatscreen DVD/TV players have a wall wart and actually are powered by DC, rather than 110 VAC. If this is the case with your TV/DVD player, you might want to consider getting a DC-to-DC converter to power it and get the inverter out of the circuit.

#8 ·
That was true in a different age. My options are (i) go sailing with two kids complaining every step of the way that they can't watch their favorite shows/movies, (ii) not go sailing for any length of time, or (iii) get a TV.

Besides, how could any self-respecting Bendy-Toy, floating condo owner leave the dock without a flat screen television. Where's your head man! ;)

#7 ·
Sorry all, I've been distracted with Earl.

The TV works fine on shore power and when running the generator. Likewise, the inverter runs everything else just fine (coffee maker, microwave, computers). I'm midway through installing a smaller true sine wave inverter to see if the problem is that our TV doesn't like a MSW.

Also, just to report the facts, our TV doesn't have a brick at all, and is just an AC cord running from the TV to a plug. It also rates at 120 volts, which is a bit high for a TV as well, I understand.

We'll see if a 300w true sine wave inverter fixes it. Or not. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.