SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Transiting Inlets

904 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pdqaltair 
#1 ·
I must be the odd man out? because everyone seems to be powering in and out of the Roosevelt Inlet, my venue, which is much too narrow to even think of tacking. However I feel more secure sailing with a power assist. Now if the wind is on the nose, then I either wait for a favorable tidal current, or do not enter.
Is there anything wrong with my thinking?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dick

#2 ·
I think it depends a good bit on the boat and the reliability of the engine. Sails can be a problem too, if the wind suddenly shift and you have neither the space or crew to manage them.

A few days ago I used Wachapreague Inlet, just down the coast. The current was 4.1 knots. In some boats that is not a big deal, while with others that would be poor judgment.

I do make a practice, in swift inlets, of starting the engines early enough to warm them up properly and notice any weakness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.