SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

sailing with my dog

8K views 52 replies 38 participants last post by  Zarathu 
#1 ·
hello all... i just bought my very first sailboat... a catalina 22... very excited! any thoughts or ideas for a dog ramp? any input is greatly appreciated by myself and my wonderful dog!:)

#4 ·
Can do no harm...

Our's decided he wanted to be REALLY close to his owners in the most wonderful situations. So he would tangle himself up in the main sheet as I needed to let it out, or be underfoot when we needed to move. Be sure he follows commands well, and ++ on the doggy life jacket. We make the dog fast to nearby cleats and hand holds as necessary. It can be inconvenient, but they don't have a good time sticking to the deck when we roll or heel, and we'd rather the lines be around, then losing him over the side.

#48 ·
My Skipper is a papillon mix, and weighs in at 4 pounds 3 ounces. Whatever life jacket you buy for yours, make sure the belly straps are wide. You'll be picking the dog up and the more support under the tummy, the better. Wider is definitely better.

And I don't know about that Boss thing... she's got me pretty well trained.

#6 ·
I've seen some boarding ramps made from an old aluminum ladder with plywood secured on the rungs. It was even hinged on the boat to account for the tide.
Denise is right though, if your dog is fairly small and you get a decent jacket you can just grab the handle and carry the dog like a suitcase. But with a larger dog it might be nice to have a ramp. Though my dog which is about 50 lbs has no problem hopping aboard on his own.
I would always want the jacket for the handle though. If the dog goes overboard you can hook the handle with a boat hook.

#7 ·
Like this guy?

I lift him in, or he can jump in if the dock is high enough. My X 2nd cousin, ie my kids 2nd cousin, and her cousins son who lives aboard next to me, had a 1/2" plywood ramp for boxer he had. That made it easier for him is his final years or two or three to get into his bayliner.

Marty

#8 ·
We have a terrier (norfolk) and she does quite well. Stays low and doesn't move around too much when heeled over etc. I strongly recommend a PFD for the dog and be sure to put it on at all times, especially when out on deck. Dogs can be unpredictable, go out on slow calm days for the first little bit to get the dog used to it. Some take well, others may not and just sulk in the corner. Be sure to give lots of encouragement and a few treats to keep the pup happy.

As for getting in and out of the boat, just pick 'em up and put 'em in, is my concept. No plank necessary.

#9 ·
Disclosure.... I love dogs, but have zero interest in dealing with a dog on a boat. That said, there seems to be a dog in every other dinghy I've ever seen. Here are some notes, from personal experience.

If the dog needs a ramp because you either can't lift him/her or it won't make a reasonable jump or step, it probably isn't suited to be on the boat.

The doggie PFD is nearly mandatory. Dogs, like people, can fall in the water. A dog in the water is very likely to actually bite its rescuer, I assume as a fear reaction. They may also claw the daylights out of a dinghy or hull and make no progress until exhausted. The handle on the PFD is the secret to getting them back on board and not being bitten in the process.

Congrats on the new boat.

#10 ·
The nature of the dog is very important. I agree that a life jacket is mandatory for dogs. It is also a good idea to have a harness on them that can be used for lifting.

One time, when I had my dogs on the boat (two golden retrievers and a small black mutt who thinks she is a golden retriever), we were tied up at our slip and going into town. The Admiral took the dogs as I was closing up the boat. I came up out of the cabin to hear the Admiral saying, "It's OK, you're fine" and hearing splashing. I rushed over to the rail to see the Admiral holding the older golden by the collar as she was swimming next to the boat. I jumped out onto the slip and got my arms around her. I had to lift a wet, 75 pound dog out of the cold water. She was fine, never panicked, and happy to be in the water. The other dogs were watching and very concerned. In this case, a doggie PFD wasn't needed but a good harness would have helped me get her out of the water.

I later found out from the Admiral that when she jumped off the boat onto the dock, she slipped a little and her back feet hit the edge of the dock and she slid backwards into the water. Being a water dog, she was fine in the water and that made getting her out relatively easy.

#11 ·
When we pulled into our new slip this weekend, the owner of the slip pointed to the boat next to us. It had a hoist on each corner, I assumed for a dinghy or something similar, he explained it was actually for the great dane...

#13 ·
Austrailian Shepard on the small side. Great dog. Likes to cuddle up next to people while sailing.

I've been thinking about a suitable ramp for him, since we like to swim off the transom. I was thinking about a carpeted plank that would just hang off the swim platform. Add a kids floatie somewhere along the length, and near the place where the plank goes into the water. (You want the end of the plank to be below the water 12 or 18 inches, so he/she can walk right out of the water.) For our small dog we could use a pine 1x10 that's 8 feet long. That would be simple, cheap and light enough. Could also add strong hinges in the middle so it could fold. (Hinged so it wouldn't fold if the dog was on it.)

Thanks for posting this thread, it's gotten me thinking a bit more about something I want to do.

Regards,
Brad

#14 ·
The Doggy Boat Ladder by Paws Aboard: The Best Dog Boat Ramp / Ladder for Pet Safety Available

That might work.

Also, when it comes to doggy pfd's, take your dog to the place that sells them and try them on. As there are about 4 maybe 5 versions, some fit, some do not. For winston, when he was 4 months at the time of the above pics, the PFD we were given worked great, but when he grew, he was between a small and medium for all but one brand, ie the one he has on. Wife did not like the semi florescent orange, but, it fit, unlike the others either too big, or too small.

I do not remember the issue, but Practical sailor did some reviews about 3 maybe 4 yrs ago, I may still have the copy.

Marty

#15 ·
Did you hear the story about the guy who was sailing solo with his dog in the Atlantic, well off the coast of Long Island? At one point he couldn't find his dog on the boat. He reversed course (with the help of his GPS) and found the dog 2 hours later. It was swimming after the boat.

I met a woman last weekend that recently lost her (very small) dog in Long Island Sound. No lifejacket. They couldn't find the dog. Finally they gave up and headed into port. Turns out that another boater found the dog. The "finder" even gave the dog a new name, "Absolute Lucky".

Both parties called the coast guard, the woman got her dog back. (She was the one who told me the first story.)

That dog was really lucky. The chances of that happening have got to be pretty small.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: Nancyleeny
#16 ·
I've always liked dogs but I have always thought that the best dog in the world was someone else's dog. That said, my wife has a dog. She says it's cute. It is a Brittany spaniel. So far, the dog has not sailed with us (we have a small boat but upgrading to a large one). Now she says that she can't live without it on our new boat.

I said "try".

Well, apparently, my suggestion isn't even going to be attempted.

So my question to all you dog people is just how the hell do you live with a dog on a boat? besides the obvious issues (both 1 and 2 and the occasional pile of vomit) , don't they just scratch the living hell out of your boat with those little damn nails? (yes she does clip the dogs nails but there is always a stub that scratches. you should see our hardwood floors)

MC

#17 ·
um, you could trade said dog in on one with fur around the claws. Our Caviler King Charles spaniel spins and slides all around the hardwood floors. It is actually quite comical at times! chases a ball, hits something, goes backward, he spins to go with the ball, slides another 5' going backwards with paws moving!

As far as 1 and 2 go, some have potty boxs with plastic fake grass, P goes thru to a box, 2 stays on the top for pickup into a trash can. P you just toss overboard or into head for disposal. Most of our trips are short, ie 2-3 hrs, so not an issue, we have done a few 6-8 hr trips, those are the ones to worry about. The vomit, have not had to deal or worry about as of yet........

Marty

#18 ·
Brad,

Your rescue story's are similar to a couple in my YC. Daughter and BF had a dog, first for him growing up in Russia, dog was barking on the back of the parents trawler, then barking stopped, went back no fuzzy ewok dog. so gave up after an hour or two of looking, Well, dog swam to shore, got up a 200' embankment on Puget Sound, under a deck, was finally consoled out from under the deck bu couple in the house, had it checked for a electric tag. Parents got a cal a few days later while all 4 were in the san juans, person on the other end, "we have our dog!" " we thought it had drowned!"

Crazy things happens with four legged creatures.

marty

#19 ·
That's great news......

Even if they, by accident of course, fall over the side with a size 12 boot print on their back side, the dog still comes back??!!! great....

You are telling me that the dog will never go away, just like herpes.

So how do you deal with all the scratched surfaces? Is there a way to prevent it? I have been told that there are such things as dog boat booties. Anyone ever try that on their dog?

All kidding aside, it is a really nice dog but I dread the damage it will cause.

#21 ·
our dog has the booties, he does not like them very well, but will wear them. So far, I have not tried them except outside in really wet rainy days, because of the slipper fur he has. He walks really funny, a lot like a baby putting shoes on them the first time. Not sure if it is better with rubber shoes, or let him just roam around, which he does not do alot. Down below he does pretty good.

Your mileage may vary to above comments.

marty

#22 ·
Try a couple doggie PFDs to find one that works for you and the pooch. A padded collar piece under the dog's neck will help hold her head above water, amazingly not all the jackets we tried had this feature. And forget fashion, go for orange or lime green with plenty of reflector patches, a good handle and heavy d ring for a line or leash.
When you start using it lots of treats for the dog will create a good association making it easier to get it on and keep it
on the dog

#23 ·
Some thoughts after reading this far (depends on the size of the dog - ours is a 70# Golden retriever):

If a heavy dog, the PFDs I’ve seen have straps underneath that, while might work in bringing aboard with a halyard, certainly don’t seem adequate; I’d like to see a PFD with more of a sling for the belly/chest. Anyone know of one?

You really, really need to keep up on keeping the nails clipped. I’ve thought about the booties, but so far don’t seem necessary if the dog can’t grip with it’s nails — that’s when they really slide around.

Fascinating that the first time I anchored with her, I got the dog in the dinghy, and she promptly scrambled out of the dingy to swim to shore.

Our neighbor’s Lab will not hesitate to jump overboard if there is something interesting. He has only a 3’ draft with centerboard up, so was able to sail to a near shore with dog following, then wade to shore and get her. (Nutria, the attraction for the Lab’s abandoning ship, are aggressive. Big vet bill for stiches later.)

#24 ·
Has anyone ever calculated the costs to keep their dog on board with them during a passage or trip? I am curious as to how much was spent on medications, foods, equipments for the dog or for the boat, modifications, extra dues or fees from trying to enter other countries, ect. ect.

#25 · (Edited)
Hi thedaisy! I also have a Catalina 22, and bring my German Pinscher sailing with me- he loves it.

This is an MTI dog vest, and I highly recommend it. It has a handle on top which makes it easy to lift him in and out of the dinghy safely, or out of the water with the boathook. It's very comfortable, and doesn't bother him even being lifted by it.

It also doubles as a safety harness for him- when I'm doing foredeck work, I tie him into the cockpit with the jacket, so he doesn't try to follow me to the foredeck and fall off.

#26 ·
After living two years in the Caribbean with 2 dogs aboard I can tell you they were the single most important asset aboard. Yes, considerations do have to be made for them, and we've tried them all from ramps to PDF s. But because you are a boater, that already tells me that you have an inherent ability for resourcefulness. The important piece is to have the dog, the logistics is to work out what is best for you. Here's why you should have a dog..

We were laying at anchor in some nameless anchorage one moonless night. My husband had to stay in town overnight, so it was me and my two daughters aboard. It was 3:30am and in my sleep I heard the two golden retrievers begin to bark. They routinely bark at any dinghy within say 50 yards, so this did not alarm me. But then I noticed the barking had taken on a different tone and pitch, it was more fierce. I quietly popped my head up through the aft cabin hatch and I could see the figures of two men in a dinghy silently pulling up beside the sailboat. They had killed their engine, and were stepping into our dinghy which was tied to the starboard hip.

I was terrified, what did these men want? Were they here to steal? Or much worse? Would they hurt my children? My girls? I grabbed my husbands shotgun, and cursed myself for not paying more attention when he was showing me how to use it. I silently crept up into the cockpit and cocked the gun. Cha-chik, chik was the sound of me cocking the weapon, then I held it up to my ear and looked down the barrel at the two men. ( I'd seen this posture on TV). I said, "can I help you boys?"

They looked up, saw the gun, jumped in their dinghy, revved their engine and were gone. I started to shake from the adrenaline, and then I cried. The two goldens who had alerted me to this threat were rubbing up against me trying to comfort me. Who knows what would have happened if I had not had those few extra seconds to prepare? The dogs gave me those extra moments. They protected us all. I thought, "free kibble for life!"

As we now prepare for our second journey south, we are traveling with one Golden Retriever and one ****zhu. We are chronicling the trip via a blog that is written from the viewpoint of the dogs. We will be talking about all manners of solutions for dogs aboard so I invite you to follow them on their journey, and participate either with your own view or by way of your dogs view. It's all just silly fun, but hopefully a fresh idea.

Http://Www.sailboatdog.com
Sailboat Dog
RNGypsy03

Check it out at Sailboat Dog

#29 ·
So Sailboat Dog,
My wife and I just purchased our first cruising sailboat for next year on the great lakes and have no children except for our shi-tzu and shi-poo that we love and baby to death. So I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times, but what is the best or your best method for the potty issues aboard??
Thanks!
Chris

#27 ·
We have an 84 lb Airedale Terrier. He comes along on our 26 foot San Juan every time my wife remembers to bring him with us. He has his own jacket with both a water activated light and a "lifting handle". (Hell to pull out of the water.)
He does get underfoot, being so large but if ordered to go below, he does and stays clear. I'm not sure he really likes the sailing but he loves to be near my wife so he tolerates it.
He also has no qualms about jumping overboard if the boat starts to heel beyond 20 degrees or if some attractive ducks happen to float by.
Hates the pool but loves the dark deep water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.