Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Hurricane Prep questions

I am in coastal NC and plan to use Earl/Fiona as a trial run for hurricane preparation and hope that is all it is. I have a 35' shallow draft sailboat (swing keel) that displaces roughly 12,000 lbs. I plan to hole up in a nominally 5' deep creek, parallel to the shoreline, with fore and aft lines to trees on the port side and fore and aft anchors on starboard. The concerns here (from local knowledge) are not so much with wind and waves but with water rise and fall (however I will strip the boat all the same). My anchors are a new Rocna 15 with 65' of chain, 200' of 5/8 line and an oldish (but serviceable) 25 lb Danforth with 35' of chain, 300' of 5/8 line. So I am not concerned about the anchors. My questions are about tying off to the trees. I purchased (last year from a local consignment store) 2 - 120 ft lengths of 3/4" line that have eye's and shackles on one end. The 3/4 line is too big for the cleats on the boat, but I got them for a good price and they are in good shape. So I plan to use my 5/8" dock lines together with the 3/4" lines; with the 3/4 line to the trees and the 5/8 line to the boat. How would you recommend I mate the lines (interweave the eye's?) and how should I attach to the trees (put a protected chain around the tree and shackle to the line or ?).

thanks for suggests and any comments on the plan.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
If you tie to any vegatation I would make sure and watch that you do not begin to uproot the stuff when the wind and water begins to rise. Try to avoid areas where a lot of loose sand/dirt is on shore as you could end up having your boat sandblasted by the grit and wind. Check the tidal charts for wherever you think you want to go and make sure your scope is ample. 3 Anchors with two additional lines from the bow and stern tied around some heavy tree should be more than enough to secure the boat. Try to have your lines all prepared and all anchors out before the weather grows fierce. Also, if you dont already, put chafe guards around your lines. the tremendous force of the wind and sea can really damage or break unprotected lines in no time, or so I read
Old 08-30-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
I'm also on the NC coast, I'm going to strip the deck of sails and such re-tie my lines and I am in what seems like a great hurricane hole where water level change is all I should be concerned with.
Old 08-30-2010

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
In NC

Mario,
Good luck. Are you at a dock or on a mooring? My dock is concrete (non floating ), so tying off to the pilings leaves me worried about pulling cleats or impaled on pilings if the water surge is high enough. The water here is already a bit high (driven by wind and pressure, there is no tide effect off the river), so a 6' surge (not unheard of) is problematic. Besides my dock has some eastern exposure to the river that could result in pounding at the dock. So I plan to go farther up the creek (with paddles ) and tie off and anchor with lots of scope.

The trees here are pretty good size (2' dia) and so just wrapping around like a piling will eat up lengths of line that I need to get away from the shore. So I am thinking of buying some chain, putting it inside fire hose around the tree and shackling that to my 3/4 " line.

With any luck this is all just an exercise.
Old 08-30-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
another option for the tree end is raid the junk yard and get some seat belts then just tie them around the trees. several seat belts per tree will resist chafe pretty well. or if they can wrap around more than once they wont slide around

also dont be afraid to "lube" your lines with dish or liquid clothes soap, it wont last long in the rain but it can help with chafe.
Old 08-31-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
reeving the standing part of each line through the eye of the other line is an excellent way to join two dissimilar lines. The rest of it, I don't have any experience with... good luck, though, and as you say, here's hoping that it's all just a drill!

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 08-31-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you have to connect two lines of different diameters, I'd highly recommend you learn and use the zeppelin bend... which was designed for this purpose and has the advantage that it rarely jams, even after being very heavily loaded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-31-2010

hix is on a distinguished road
would anyone suggest taking down furled jib? It was pain to get on and don't want to go through that again for rest of season. Thinking just to be safe i will lower boom off the backstay and hitch down across the cockpit before wrapping mainsail a few times with shock cord. hopefully that will help. Then need to address the jib. any other suggestions?

i'm in western LI sound so not sure if we get impacted much but want to be extra cautious given I'm new sailor with new boat (to me).
Old 08-31-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Hix-

I would remove it. It could end up damaged by flying debris.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-31-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I need to look up what the zepplin band is, maybe I'm not using the best way of connecting. I usually use bowlines at the end of each line to connect them. Only each line is wrapped twice around the other, inside the bowline. Wish I had a picture of it. It's something I made up. Again maybe (probably?) not the best way to connect them. (I understand the knot, which counts in my book.)

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!