SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Seeking Sailor

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  daviddupzyk 
#1 ·
I am just wondering if there are any sailing lovers who live in or around the Jacksonville, FL area who would be open to teaching a relative newbie different aspects of sailing and sailboats. I am not saying I need you to take me out on your boat or anything, though that would be great. However, if you are doing some extensive work and want some FREE labor I would love the chance to help out and learn. If your in the market for a new boat and wouldn't mind an enthusiastic tag-along I'd be very interested. Perhaps maybe you just would be willing to show me the ropes, or lines as I should say. Regardless, if you live in the area and wouldn't mind offering up some of your knowledge in exchange for free labor and enthusiasm then I would really like the opportunity.
I have been doing tremendous readings and I really want some practical application to everything I am reading and learning about.

I do not want to post a second thread for a few questions I have from my readings so I will ask them here and I appreciate any and all inputs, so long as they remain respectful.
1. How does Beam REALLY affect pitch poling? Also, what would be Excessive beam as that is what is thought to contribute to pitch poling the most? Just provide a boat length, and what would be a reasonable beam, then what would be considered excessive for that same length boat.
2. How high should a companion way sill be raised above the **** pit floor to adequately protect from water intrusion on a 25-35' boat that often sails in unprotected waters? I read at least 6" but that seems very low on a blue-water type boat. I know you can always install a slider to raise the clearance but it would not be inherently water tight and with the tremendous force generated by ocean waves I worry such a rigging would just be blown out by a rouge wave.
3. Does anyone use mast floats for counter active buoyancy or is this mostly something on pleasure craft like HobieCat's only? It seemed sort of like a good idea but the book I read it from was from the late 70's so I didn't know if it was still in use. Google searches and Forum searches both turned up unhelpful results.

See less See more
#2 ·
As for point #2, IIRC, the EU requires a 9" high companionway sill for getting an EU RCD Category A rating. I added a bridgedeck to my boat to prevent water from downflooding into the cabin the second year I had her.

Mast floats are generally unnecessary on larger sailboats, although some larger multihulls have played with the idea of using them for capsize prevention off and on over the years.

#3 ·
BE glad... be very glad, you didn't say "female preferred in your title Tris :)

Hang out at some yacht clubs is a good way to find crew positions on a regular basis since many have weekly racing.

Tris are your questions reflecting an unsure feeling that keel boats don't self right when 90* to the water? Most do and will.. slow if the sails are wet. but if the companion way and ports were open.. "glub glub" down she may go!

#4 ·
SD how or would or could a larger cat be flipped back over? Could a buddy boat or larger power boat do the job? Some kind of Pole with an anchor and blocks or weight? Or is it a total loss? Climb up on the bottom, call it a day and mayday the day away?

#6 ·
Most cruising multihulls can be flipped upright by flipping them end-for-end, bow over stern or the reverse. Generally, a power boat will be needed, though in the case of smaller ones, it can be done using a large RIB. Flipping them over hull-over-hull generally is more difficult and results in more damage to the rig, than flipping them end-for-end.

With the folding sport trimarans, you can sometimes right them by folding one of the amas, which reduces the stability to that side, but again, the chance of damage is usually higher than flipping them end-for-end.

#5 ·
I try to avoid giving people the "I'm a weird sleezbag type" whenever possible denise :) A lot of the reading I am doing right now has to do with stability and so the questions sort of reflect that I think. I read a lot and when I come across something I can't figure out or wonder why it is the way it is I try to google or forum search for the answer. If that comes up empty, I post here.
The book I read about the mast floats showed it on mono and multihulled boats. For the multi the diagrams showed the float keeping the multi tipped over but only side-up, not bottom. I guess the float helps prevent the complete roll-over from ever occurring.

#8 ·
The discussions about sea-kindliness and stability can get pretty complicated, and there are lots of ways to try to measure the seaworthiness of a boat. The hope is that most coastal sailors will never see the sort of huge breaking waves that could seriously threaten most cruising boats, and that deep ocean sailors will know what they are doing, know their limitations, and be well prepared.

For monohulls in particular, but boats in general, boat size gives resistance to being rolled. Beam provides initial stability. But in monohulls, deep ballast gives righting moment and too much beam works against righting. Wetted length also determines displacement speed, particularly relevant for monohulls, and influences the speed at which a boat is comfortable working in a sea. And, keeping the rig going is very important for both stability and seakindly motion. The shape of the hull (or hulls) also has a lot to do with the way the boat moves through rough water, such as whether it pounds.

#9 ·
SD I never would have guessed that cats are righted end over end.. it does make allot sense now that I know.

Tris.. go to you tube and watch some sailboat racing.. OMG they lay those boats OVER! yet the pop right back up!

#10 ·
I think all monohull boats with a weighted keel are supposed to be able to right themselves on their own.

The mast float can keep a boat with no keel from going over all the way where the mast goes down and then gets stuck in the sand or something.

For multihulls, the coast guard can come with two boats and pull a rope under the overturned boat to catch the mast and bring it up. Well that's what somebody told me had happened once.

trisstan87,

I'm kind of in the same position that you're in so you wouldn't be able to learn anything from me, but if I do get my own boat in Florida then maybe both of us newbies can go out for for a few days?

#12 ·
Thanks for the answers I have a pretty clear idea of what the mechanics are in relation to the questions now.

I am hoping to find somebody around where I live to get some hands-on time until January when I transfer to a college that has a Sailing Club. The clubs around here all charge and paying for one ASA course per semester with all the other expenses associated with attending college full-time leave little left over for paying dues to sailing clubs.

#13 ·
Trisstan87, I CAN'T reply to your PM until I have 5 posts!

Hey thanks for the welcome. I'm 23 years old in Illinois and I just finished an ASA 103 sailing class in Michigan. I'm supposed to get some experience on boats before I can take the 104 class.

I live by the Illinois river and not by any lakes and the season is near its end up here so it's kind of hard to get involved in something. So I came here looking for some kind of 1-2 weekish crewing opportunity if there is anybody left who isn't "heading south of the entire winter" or something .The closer the better but I'm willing to travel to the ocean.

I saw a 34ft steel boat listed for sale in Florida which seems like a good buy so long as it isn't all rusted out inside.

Well good luck finding something. Maybe if I buy a boat you can come on and we can find somebody else who has some more experience and he can come on for free and cruise around wherever he wants to go for a week or something while we would be on the boat learning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.