Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010

jkimberly is on a distinguished road
Safe or Sorry?

I just checked the National Hurricane Center for expected storm surge for LIS. They indicate that the expected surge should be about 5' for all of LIS with higher amounts both east of New Haven (<7') and western LIS Greenwich and west (<7').

'Course that is what they indicate NOW, things could change, etc. Of all the things that can wreak havoc during a hurricane, storm surge is right up there with wind damage. I think I have a better chance in one of their slips than I do on one of their moorings but if the surge is enough to lift the fingers off of the pilings, all bets are off.

Ideally, I would pull the boat out and have it transported home. Unfortunately the only person in the area (Fread's Boat Transport) is busier than a one armed paperhanger at this point and can't get to me I supose I could have the marina pull the boat but it would have to sit on stands in their yard which is only nominally above water at high tide normally. Not idea either.

Could be a stressfull weekend

jk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
We once had a sticky thread here with lots of good hurricane prep suggestions, though so far I've been unable to find it with search, maybe someone or one of the moderators can help resurrect it?

One thing that may not have been mentioned yet - when you tie your (doubled, chafe-protected) lines, try to tie to pilings and stringers rather than cleats that can easily pull out of wooden docks.

I'm with you, though - and really don't see a downside to prepping for the worst likely case.
Old 09-02-2010

tweitz is on a distinguished road
The National Hurricane center site gives specific predictions for tropical storm, 50 knot and hurricane winds for specific locations. The latest for Montauk as of 9AM is a 68% chance of 39 knot (tropical storm force) winds, 30% of 50 knot winds and 13% of 64 knot (hurricane) winds. That seems to me to be a worse forecast than the last ones last night.
Old 09-02-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
We once had a sticky thread here with lots of good hurricane prep suggestions, though so far I've been unable to find it with search, maybe someone or one of the moderators can help resurrect it?

One thing that may not have been mentioned yet - when you tie your (doubled, chafe-protected) lines, try to tie to pilings and stringers rather than cleats that can easily pull out of wooden docks.

I'm with you, though - and really don't see a downside to prepping for the worst likely case.
Good point eryka about the cleats. A couple years ago in gale force winds, we (DavidPM, DefRich, CalebD, MrWuffles, jdcooper, my son and I) tied up to cleats on the bulkhead in Port Jefferson. We watched a cleat fly off the bulkhead. (OK, I was facing the other way, but seems like everyone else saw it.) No one was hurt. We switched to pilings-only.

I little while later, I watched (saw it this time) a clove hitch come off a wet piling. No more clove hitches - boat rule. Half hitches only.

Regards,
BRad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 09-02-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2010

pk5352 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reassurance all. Just back from the marina where it took all of an hour and a half to strip canvas, double lines and get the boat ready for the worst case. Clearly the right choice. Be safe everyone!
-pk
Old 09-02-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk5352 View Post
Thanks for the reassurance all. Just back from the marina where it took all of an hour and a half to strip canvas, double lines and get the boat ready for the worst case. Clearly the right choice. Be safe everyone!
-pk
Sounds like a wise choice pk. I hope you also took off any dodger you may have as well.

Makes me glad to not live in a hurricane zone. Good luck to you all.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2010

l_lym is on a distinguished road
Also in Milford CT and while reasonably protected spent several hours last night doing all the obvious -extra lines, extra chafe protection, strip sails & dodger, remove dink outboard and gas can, double check bilge pump. Really surprised at the lack of activity or signs of anyone else doing much work. Seems like a few hours of work is a small price for (some) peace of mind.
Old 09-02-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

I just got back from prepping my boat in Mt. Sinai Harbor. Headsail off and stowed below, dodger laid down and tied off. Main halyard tied off, extra lines from mooring ball to front cleats, checked that chafe protection was on the mooring pendants. Bilge dry, batteries charged, life sling brought in, etc.

It's still early, but more than 1/2 the boats in the marina do have not been touched yet.

I went through 35 kt winds last week in a slip at Block Island. I did not prepare my boat at all (other than lots of dock lines) and the motion, etc were terrible. I want to be prepared for at least 50 kts winds Friday.

Good luck to all.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2010

chachere is on a distinguished road
Surges on LIS/ Eastern LI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkimberly View Post
I just checked the National Hurricane Center for expected storm surge for LIS. They indicate that the expected surge should be about 5' for all of LIS with higher amounts both east of New Haven (<7') and western LIS Greenwich and west (<7').

jk
I'm curious where you found those sort of predictions at the NHC. As of 2 pm today, the surge prediction data at the NHC's website are a <30% chance of surges >2' in the LIS area, and nowhere do I see predictions for >5' in the area except around New London / Fisher's Sound area (even there only a 5-10% probablility).
Not that this isn't something to be concerned about -- I'm heading out to my boat in Sag Harbor tonight to get prepared -- but where are you finding such high predictions (because if its really that high I'll be MUCH more worried)?
Old 09-02-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
Well it looks like its going to be worse at the Outter banks then we thought.

There's nothing more I could have done to prep the boat for this storm. No question I would have been sorry if I didn't .

I will say I was makeing jokes about hateing the time and undoing the prep work but I'm 3 hours away from the boat so there was only doing this once.
(there is a liveaboard family at the marina thats going to stay if its practical.)