Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
PK-
You know Shinnecock Inlet? A hurricane smaller than this one tore that hole in LI.
The only question is how much of Earl is going to hit you, and the best thing you can do is secure for the worst, just in case. Looks like even the east end won't get hit by more than Cat2 conditions, but that's still enough to make a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Yup, take precautions and take them early! You do not want to get caught out and if you wait until you know for certain, traffic might make it impossible for you to get where you need to in a timely fashion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Old 09-02-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Right now I feel like the dumbest guy in NJ. I woke up this morning thinking about my boat and Earl. The keel is off and standing along side, and the boat is sitting very low to the ground on stands and a two stacks of concrete blocks. I still had the winter cover installed over the mast which is stillting on supports 6 feet above the cockpit floor so I could work on the topsides. So it wouldn't take much to knock her over, or float her away. She is 26 ft and only weighs 3500 lb without the keel. In one of the winter storms the storm surge put six inches of water under her too.

So I called my boss and took the day off to do something about it. I put in an order at McMaster Carr, which is on my way to the boat. I busted my ass all day while the others in the marina sat on their boats enjoying the beautiful hot weather, or swam in the pool.

I stripped off the winter cover and used small high quality tarps to cover the three missing ports, but without so much windage. Then I sunk 4 - 3500 lb rated screw anchors 3-1/2 feet deep around the boat. I put a 2- 3500 lb rated 2" nylon ratchet straps over the boat from abnchor to anchor, and tied off the hooks so they couldn't come off if the straps went slack.

The state owes me a debt of gratitude. We are now guaranteed the huricane will NOT come here!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 09-02-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I also finished stripping my boat today. The only things above deck are the masts, rigging and main boom. I even unshipped the mizzen and staysail booms and lashed them down. I saw others making preparations. I saw some boats untouched, even one with a tarp over the whole boat. I hope the tarp shreds before it parts his mooring. One boat had a unique solution: the mainsail and cover were shrinkwrapped! Good luck to all.
Old 09-02-2010

fpr is on a distinguished road
Beaufort, NC Update

All good advice.... prep for the worst, you'll sleep better.

Spent all afternoon strippng the boat and bullet proofing the chafe gear.

Earl will pass us 60 miles offshore, just missing us and moving North at 20mph.

We're inside the Outer Banks and about 5 miles to the Beaufort Inlet.
The Outer Banks (Hatteras, Ocracoke Islands) have been evacuated as well as Atlantic Beach & Emerald Isle (Bogue Island)

Wind and rain getting nasty here... steady at 30 gusts to 40.

The NOAA office/lab is right here on Pivers Island and they are calling for 6-10inches of rain, wind steady at 40 gusts to 65 and a storm/wind surge of 5 feet by 2am.

Gonna' be a long snotty night.....

It also appears to be speeding up as it heads North but getting scattered, the eye is not as defined, accordng to local CG radar.
CG has down graded to a Cat2, but that could change. it's hitting cooler water.

There are quite a few boats around here compleatly unprepared.
I'll probably have to take care of them or they'll wreck us.

Some owners are just now trying to prep their boats and it's almost impossible...wind knocks you all over and it's dark as hell.....

The best tack to take is to prep for the worst, b/4 the storm hits !!!

Get ready... Earls going up the coast and Mother Nature is on a power trip...

fred

Last edited by fpr; 09-02-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelln'......
Old 09-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
FPR—

Be aware that "taking care of other boats" might put you at legal liability if you touch their docklines and the boat later breaks free and causes damage. Unless you're prepared to be liable for any damage those boats cause if they break free or any damage done to them in their own slip, I would highly recommend you leave them alone. It is very likely that the stupid, careless bastages who own them and neglect them would be more than happy to sue you if the boat does break free or get damaged in anyway. The USA is too litigious a society and the courts have too little common sense in them to make that risk worthwhile IMHO. Shooting all the lawyers that do frivolous lawsuits would be a good start IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2010
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
FPRó
The USA is too litigious a society and the courts have too little common sense in them to make that risk worthwhile IMHO. Shooting all the lawyers that do frivolous lawsuits would be a good start IMHO.
Boy, I am glad you said that! As a Canadian, I was reluctant to make that sort of comment on an American forum, but from our perspective up here, there are WAY TOO MANY stupid lawsuits in the USA (and that mentality is spreading up here...) Common sense is what is lacking in the courts. If you do the right thing and do it with due diligence (i.e. do the thing to the best of your abilities) then that should be the END OF STORY! If a poorly maintained boat threatens your boat, you should take actions on that vessel to protect yourself - put out an anchor, add lines, secure sails, etc. And if there is any court action, it should be you charging the SOB with costs for securing his property....
Old 09-03-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Unfortunately, law suits are legal Powerball. Particularly for the lawyers.

After diligent preparation here in New Bern, we basically had a non-event (slept right through it). But, it is better to prepare than to wish.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-03-2010

fpr is on a distinguished road
Judges Boat

Dodged the bullet here in Beaufort as well....

Highest wind gust on my gauge was 47...standard stuff around here.

Taylor Creek had 3' standing waves with the surge, tide and wind combining for a very short period of time.
Outer Banks took the beating in stride....

"If a poorly maintained boat threatens your boat, ......"

We are a boating community around here and if we are protecting personal property, the judge may hear the case (usually not) but will, literally, throw the case, lawyers and client out of court with a stern lecture for wasteing his time, and order court costs, fees and damages to the jerk and his lawyer.

That litigious crap doesn't fly in a small boating community.....
The Judge's boat is 2 slips down from mine!!!

Gotta' love small towns where "Everbody knows your name....."

Big cities....now that's a whole different story......

Stay Safe up North

fred
Old 09-03-2010
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't touch docklines but I'd certainly clear any loose objects from the decks.

Edited to add: If you see an unprepared boat, contact the marina office. They should be able to get in touch with the owners. I'd be ready to lend the marina staff a hand though, in case there was something to prevent the owner from getting to their boat. The marina should have a legal contract with the boat owner which protects them.

Our little blog has moved!

Last edited by Mimsy; 09-03-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.