Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010

pk5352 is on a distinguished road
Safe or Sorry? Earl question

Probably answered it for myself, but looking for opinions about preparation...I'm on the eastern end of Long Island. Most models put the storm tracking east of me, but clearly we will be getting some sustained winds on friday. So, I strip the sails tomorrow morning, right? Take down the furler and stow the main. Its the right call, right? (sorry if its a stupid question, its my first year on my first boat).

Good luck to everyone!
-pk

Last edited by pk5352; 09-01-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
If it helps you sleep over the next few nights, then hell yeah it's the right call.

what are the winds forecasted at ?

btw, check your neighbors, you'll be surprized how many don't think ahead

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 09-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I'm on the western end of LIS and plan on taking my sails and dodger off this afternoon. Better safe than sorry. I've been through 2 in the past 30 years and never sorry I took the time to prepare. If in a slip, double up on the the lines and if on a mooring, add some chafe gear.
Old 09-02-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I would add chafe protection to all lines. If there will be a storm surge, try to account for the height that your boat will raise. You don't want to raise off of the pylons or stress your lines beyond their load. For your spring lines or any line keeping you off of the dock, consider that they will stretch significantly in high winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Me too. Think of it this way: the time spent removing and rerigging your sails is less than the time and cost of any damage they might suffer. Let alone the nightmare if she goes adrift.
Old 09-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend you take the same precautions as if the storm was headed for you... it may change tracks abruptly...

BTW, you should really check what it says in your insurance policy, as most have specific requirements for named storms and if you don't follow them, you may not be covered in the event of storm damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-02-2010

jkimberly is on a distinguished road
Safe or Sorry?

I'm in Milford, CT and I'm planning on moving off of my Milford Landing mooring into one of their transient slips tonight. Due to Earl, the normally packed Labor Day weekend isn't happening and I'm told they have lot's of slips available

It's not that the slips are a whole lot better protected from the weather but they are better protected from other boats. My biggest concern is that with the number of boats in harbor that haven't been touched all year, there will be at least one that will go for an unattended sail, and with my luck, want to raft up with mine!

I plan on stripping the head sail and main, double lines, etc. which should keep it connected to the dock throughout. Let's hope the storm surge isn't as bad as predicted though as I'm not sure how high the slip fingers can ride up the piles.

john k
Old 09-02-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I'm on the western end of LIS and plan on taking my sails and dodger off this afternoon. Better safe than sorry. I've been through 2 in the past 30 years and never sorry I took the time to prepare. If in a slip, double up on the the lines and if on a mooring, add some chafe gear.
Same plan here. Encourage your neighbors to do the same -- if it changes course, those who do nothing are more likely to be the ones who break loose and barrel through the mooring field. Come to think of it, I may put out fenders as well. An ounce of prevention...
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 09-02-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
John,

You may want to check the expected storm surge plus tide height, against the height of the pilings holding the floating docks in place. It's a big mess when they aren't high enough. (And it might be the reason the marina is empty.)

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 09-02-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bene's got a very good point... tying off to a dock does little good if the dock doesn't stay put.

It is times like these where I am very happy to be behind the New Bedford Hurricane Barrier, in the most sheltered harbor on the east coast.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.