Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010

Dfok is on a distinguished road
Also, no other profession can still have a job after being wrong so many times???

regarding "no other profession can still have a job after being wrong so many times" please explain Jim Cramer and the rest of the money and economy guys. I'm amazed they weren't tarred, feathered and rolled out of town.
Then again, it is all entertainment driven by audience size and demographics.
My personal all time favorite was the breathless flooding liveshot from a canoe surrounded (ON ALL SIDES!!!) by water. As she signed off two kids strolled by behind the boat revealing the depth at about three inches.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Here's the thing, I think.

If the weather forecasters play down the intensity of a storm or hold back on warning people and then the storm strengthens up and starts killing people, the population that is effected by the storm will want to lynch them.

If on the other hand they say "This is going to be the MOTHER of all storms" and it turns out to be just a heavy-weight puff, everyone laughs and says "Oh look, those dumbos got it wrong again".

Most people would take criticism in preference to a lynch mob.

But I have to admit my blood boils when I cancel a weekend of sailing because of a seriously negative weather report and then it turns out to be exactly what I would have asked for given the choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-03-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
Our local news is still hyping it up when there was far more damage from the storm we were cought in. I was keeping track of the web cams from Oriental and they didn't think it was anything so I'm sure my boat is fine.

I was tired of the hype 2 days before the storm was here.
Old 09-03-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I guess, I was not seeing what everyone else was seeing, this time.

I was primarily watching the track on Noaa's website, but listening to the local news in between. Noaa's tracking was pretty much on the money. My local news in NJ was saying all along that we'd be spared. I was skeptical..and prepared for worst...it turns out in my case the experts were correct.

But, it doesn't take that long to put the canvas back up...
Old 09-03-2010

cla6665 is on a distinguished road
TV and newspapers are very powerful media, the problem is, I think, that people pay too much attention to them. To get good ratings they need to give you bad news, otherwise nobody would pay any attention to them. So many times I have listened to them talking about bad snow storms coming in and at the end we got only a few inches. Here in the North East people are very dramatic and anything that the media throws at them they buy it, kind of sad.
I understand that predicting weather is not easy job, but with all the computer aids and report from other areas they should at least draw a pretty close conclusion, instead most times they just miss it all together.
I tend not to listen to them and just make up my own forecast.
Just my thought
Old 09-03-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla6665 View Post
I tend not to listen to them and just make up my own forecast.
A long, long time ago a buddy of mine and I used to examine the weather maps in detail constantly, discuss what we were seeing, and come up with our own forecasts. We were almost always more accurate than the weather people.

Personally I suspect that, these days, these guys just regurgitate whatever the computers say, rather than working it out for themselves and applying experience. I think they're disregarding the most powerful computers known to man: Their own brains.

As for the "news": It mostly ain't news, people. It's mostly low-budget entertainment for the masses. You're better-off largely ignoring it.

Jim
Old 09-03-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Here's the thing, I think.

If the weather forecasters play down the intensity of a storm or hold back on warning people and then the storm strengthens up and starts killing people, the population that is effected by the storm will want to lynch them.

If on the other hand they say "This is going to be the MOTHER of all storms" and it turns out to be just a heavy-weight puff, everyone laughs and says "Oh look, those dumbos got it wrong again".

Most people would take criticism in preference to a lynch mob.

But I have to admit my blood boils when I cancel a weekend of sailing because of a seriously negative weather report and then it turns out to be exactly what I would have asked for given the choice.

All true.
Whether they get it right or not, you make an informed decision and then you just wear it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.