SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Grease monkey is the word.

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
I have a Catalina 30 I bought in Maryland that has been on the hard since 10/01/09. Shipped it down to Florida last week, trying to step the mast and commission her for sailing. It has a M 25 diesel engine that has a lot of grease on it from being winterized. What’s the best way and with what product to clean your engine of grease after it has been winterized without making to great a mess. Thanks Walt:puke :) :)

#2 ·
WD-40 is a degreaser. I would think that spraying with WD-40 and using a disposable paint brush. Think of it as practice for basting next thanksgivings big turkey. Afterwords you should be left with a wiping out of the engine sump. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

#6 ·
Carb. Cleaner will do its best to remove any paint as well.

For diesels WD 40 can also be a combustible, be very, very careful using it.

There are products, magic bright, gunk, meguier make them to name a few.

They don't work as quickly, but give them time, and multiple applications and you'll be eating off the manifold soon enough.

#9 ·
Driveway cleaner, gunk engine cleaner. ( don't be dumping in the water!)
Pressure wash after presoak. (protect alternator and other electrial items)

#10 ·
I'd second using Gunk Engine Cleaner, rather than WD-40 or anything more aggressive. Some of the more aggressive things can eat engine seals, gaskets, etc.

I am a bit curious as to why there is grease on the engine from winterizing it. That is totally unnecessary and a royal PITA. If you were storing the engine for say a long, long period of time....two or more years at a minimum, then it might make sense to coat it with grease to prevent corrosion and such from taking place... but for a short layup, it's pretty much unnecessary and overkill.

#14 ·
I'd second using Gunk Engine Cleaner, rather than WD-40 or anything more aggressive. Some of the more aggressive things can eat engine seals, gaskets, etc.
Unless Gunk changed their formula for their product, it is basically kerosene in a spray can. You need a lot and a lot elbow grease to make it work.

WD-40 is very mild, and is a silicon spray for water displacement (WD) to dry electrical wire application. It is not used for degreasing purpose. But it will not hurt the seals/gaskets. I would not worry about the gasket since the contact time is too short.

Use high power surfactant/detergent to break down the oil with water pressure or use steam is your best bet. It environmentally sounds.

Carb spray works well for the small job, but not for your case. Besides, it evaporates too fast and too dangerous in a confined area.

Whatever you do, collect all your run off :)

#11 ·

I work in a machine shop (so I deal with greasy/oily parts all day), and we use this stuff ALL THE TIME. Its natural, works great at breaking up grease/oil, and hey, smells like oranges! ;) :) . 10 buck a gallon at the Home Depot. We dilute it way down, so a gal lasts a long time, even in a shop environment.
I would also recommend Simple Green. That stuff is amazing at breaking down grease/oil.

#16 ·
Beware of lye-based cleaners (sodium hydroxide) they also strip paint and varnish. And skin.

I can't see why any grease was used to winterize an engine. Normally you'd put fogging oil in the cylinders and at worst some wax or spray on the exterior. However, Liquid Tide laundry detergent, plus hot water and a scrub brush, will strip off old congealed grease and even Cosmoline very nicely. You don't need anything flammable or corrosive.

Since the oily residue is considered hazardous waste and illegal to dump with the bilge water, you might want to use paper towels and clean off as much as you can, toss it in the oil waste bin as is. Then use an OilZorb in the bilge to pull most of it out of the bilge water.

And once you've cleaned it all down, of course, you'll need to prime & paint it, or spray it with something like BoeShield to make sure there is no really clean bare metal exposed--because after a thorough cleaning, engine parts LOVE TO RUST UP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.