SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catamaran sailing in gale- Video

9K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
It always makes me uncomfortable to see my fellow human beings having to endure things like that.

Terrible stuff. :)

#4 ·
The seas were spreader high

Wait for the seas to get big? Now you make me laugh. How much larger would you expect the seas to get? There are breaking waves longer than the 58ft boat. From the trough they felt pretty big I must say. It's not easy to show the sea size on a computer screen I guess.

How about this link?

Videos

The very start is Allison getting tossed around in the bunk. Now that is rough.

#8 ·
Wait for the seas to get big? Now you make me laugh. How much larger would you expect the seas to get? There are breaking waves longer than the 58ft boat. From the trough they felt pretty big I must say. It's not easy to show the sea size on a computer screen I guess.

How about this link?

Videos

The very start is Allison getting tossed around in the bunk. Now that is rough.
Which video?

I can't seem to figure it (the site) out.

#5 ·
Wow...great video and commentary.

Having done a couple of longish ocean passages on 40' and 52' monohulls but only sailed a cruising cat in island-hopping mode, I'm impressed! When you say that a lighter cat would be much less comfortable due to surfing acceleration, do you mean a racing cat, or just smaller? How do you think at Lagoon 42 might behave?

Cheers,
Wayne, Toronto

#7 ·
I've sailed a Lagoon 440 down the coast of NJ in 30 knot winds and was really comfortable with a single reef in the main. The Skipper/Owner has had the boat out in much worse on and felt quite comfortable. The only disconcerting thing is that when the waves hit the underside of the hull they made quite a sound, like banging a hammer against the hull.

#6 ·
Cool video. I totally appreciate the stability multi-hulls have but I don't think a catamaran is for me. Something about the traditional sail boat sort of keeps me from wanting an over sized Hobie Cat. I will say that guy has a BEAUTIFUL boat inside and out. It really looked like an awesome crossing. Kudos.

#9 ·
Video

Thank you for asking about that video link. I just tried it and it appears to be down again. Sorry for that. That is a link to the newly released Earthrace documentary and the opening scene is the team driving upwind along the Baja coast. The crew are flying up and out of their bunks then getting slammed back down all the while trying to sleep.

Too bad the link is down again. I hope they get it back up soon.

Scott

#12 ·
This is an ideal situation for a multi. Waves always seem half their size on film. I just got done sailing this situation both running, and beating. BEATING isn't called beating for nothing. Especially in a multi.......i2f

#13 ·
Waves always look flatter in video or photos... and sailing downwind in a multihull, even in fairly heavy conditions is usually pretty calm, if you've reefed down enough...

This was a day that three boats blew off their moorings in Newport Harbor. We were originally headed to Menemsha, but decided to hide in Tarpaulin Cove, since the wind was out of the NW and not going to drop down anytime soon.

#17 · (Edited)
[In my best Dog voice...]

I'd point out that in such rough conditions you should all be wearing PFDs and tethered to pad eyes in the cockpit or a jackline while on the deck. Holding a camera in one hand and a bimini strap in the other is extremely dangerous behavior for any crew in these kinds of heavy weather conditions. What is the temperature of that water? You wouldn't last 5 minutes if you went overboard.

As captain of your vessel - your first responsibility is the safety of your crew and the second is to ensure that Irish music is not played so loudly we can't hear the witty banter. I'm surprised at you.

I think you need to come to Lake Travis for some tips on Heavy Weather Sailing.

Heh-heh.

#21 ·
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Catanas. We buddy boated with one last December, and the captain and crew of it were dressed up like Nanook of the North... since the helms are exposed to the elements, being right above the swim platform steps on each hull with no shelter of any sort from any weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.