Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010

sailorthom is on a distinguished road
help rigging 75 year old sloop

I have an old wooden sloop 18' at waterline, I have never seen it rigged. It has a traveler made of 5/8 bronze the width of the stern with a 3" ring attached. I also have the two wooden single blocks original to the boat with 21/2" sheaves. On either side of the cockpit are two cleats. The jib has a similar traveler with a single cleat on the top of the cabin. There is a hard wooden spar on the jib( the name of which escapes me, senior moment.) I assume it to be a self tending jib. So far I have seen nothing that will help me on the internet or in our library. I want to keep it period correct, so any help would be appreciated. thanks Thom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Glen L. has an online book "rigging small boats" it's free too! I know the type of traveler you have and it's low tech to what modern ones do with a car and track, and think it was to keep the mainsail tension while the P and S blocks moved it P or S.

http://glen-l.com/free-book/rigging-small-sailboats-2.html]Rigging Small Sailboats - Chapter 2

the link won't work on here, so just type in " rigging small boats" on your search engine. It will come up.

What makes it look period is the use of manila rope, wooden blocks and etc. bronze, Jamestown distributors is a good source.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-06-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2010

Thanks ,actually Glen L was of no help. My first girlfriend was from Bristol PA. "Marlene the Queen" Thom
Old 09-06-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
You could get allot more help if your provide pictures. Try the wooden boat forums did you?

You can use the book as a guide not verbatum Thom, I've seen the bronze rod and loop type rig. just can't find a pic. Below is a typical set up can be done with yours in old style.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-06-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I second the WoodenBoat forum for this info. But it sounds like your sheets may be double ended, one cleat port and starboard for each sail. Then you can tend the sheets from the windward side on either tack. I'm sure you need more blocks.
Old 09-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Traveler's have come a long way! LOL

my current "project"!
Old 09-07-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a basic main traveler of that era, rig the mainsheet on maybe a 3:1 or 5:1 block system, and the ring slides from side to side.

The jib is called "club-footed", and does the same thing as the main. Yes, i too think you need more blocks on both, but it should be pretty straightforward.

What you'll have is a boat that can be tacked upwind on a beat without touching anything but the tiller.
Old 09-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

sure could use that on the river here.. I can tack upwind with the just the main if it's blowing 10 or faster.

my current "project"!
Old 09-07-2010

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of "simple rigging and easy sailing" I will gladly give up speed for comfort. After all,sailing for me is a way to relax . Most of the time I am on a cruise to nowhere,anyway. Is a winch without any provision for a winch handle still called a winch? or is a capstan? Thanks Thom ( I have owned many sail boats including a Soling I don't want to work that hard anymore)
Old 09-09-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
That little winch is a turning winch I think. I had two of them on my Friendship for the jibsheets. They let you check the sheets or sweat them in. I didn't really find them useful and removed them. I owned a 20' sloop with a big main and club jib. She was very handy and not slow.