SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

NEEEEED HELP!! proposing to girlfriend!!

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  eryka 
#1 ·
Well I have one of the most exciting days of my life coming soon, Im going to propose to my girlfriend! I have a ring on the way that we had picked out and she thinks its going to be a few more weeks than expected, so time to surprise!!.

My dream idea is to propose to her on a luxurious sailboat at sunset on a nice night. We both moved out to Newport Beach, California and dont know a soul out here, and left my sailboat in West Michigan :(

So here is where I need your help. Instead of paying 800 dollars for a private charter for 3 hours I was hoping someone out here has a boat that would take us when they go for a cruise or know someone who would. I will pay if needed, just dont have alot, we need to pay rent, and for the ring :)

If you are willing to accompany a great couple along with you in the next few weeks for a day/night it and see a couple get engaged it would be a dream come true. Have a few drinks and some champagne, we can bring food for all....If you live anywhere from Los Angeles to Dana Point it would be great! Even a day trip down to San Diego is cool and fun.

A little about us: My name is Ty and hers Erin, we are both 24 and have been dating for 2 year, lived in michigan till she got a job out here at UCLA at the medical center, and after I had to have 2 back surgeries back home i finally made it out here and looking for work. We cant wait to get married and start traveling the world and buy a sailboat we can do it with.

If you think you can help me out and make her the happiest woman alive, respond to this thread or email me... ty_lax6@hotmail.com and SPREAD THE WORD!

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't do it man.
There are only so many times you can lose half of everything you own, and have anything left. :)

#3 ·
Tylax,
I proposed onboard our (then) yacht. A few months later we were married onboard whilst under sail by an Anglican Minister (all above board). I was hanging onto Bren and the Minister as the family and friends watched on the foredeck.

We used a catering Co for the feed and sailed home with the afternoon seabreeze.

We honeymooned cruising and after 7 years, we just (temporarily) halted the cruising lifestyle last week.

Dont listen to the negatives - just go fro it!

Thats a good lookin chick you've got on your arm (possibly short sighted - just joking)

cheers

#4 ·
Thanks for the kind words St. Anna, and im sure cardiacpaul was just kidding...I would love to be married while in sail on a boat, oh that would be cool, but seems like im having a hard enough time finding a boat to just get on my knee...

Anyone able to lend a hand?? 200 views! even just a phone number or idea of what to do will help.

Thanks

#5 ·
I remember that, whilst on my knee, the rubber grippy stuff on the floor of the cockpit was inflicting pain on my knee whilst I maintained a pleasant, smiling face. I still managed to propose ! And she said yes - God knows why?

Go for it mate. Too much sad knews on the tv - let us know how it goes.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

CP needs a (you know what!) & he will be happy and positive for a day. LOL

#7 ·
Marrying the right person makes your life incredible... marrying the wrong person makes it a living hell. Fortunately, I know the former from personal experience and the latter from watching friends and acquaintances who have chosen poorly. :)

#10 ·
ROFL...I had to go back and look....I did not even notice the beer!....Are you checking guys butts out again Smacky...:laugher :p :p..:D

#9 ·
1. you could give her, her favorite drink with the "E" ring in it. Or use a slice of cake.
2. You could have Large temporary letters "Marry me" or something on the sail and have her raise it.
3. The standard method; down on one knee with ring in hand.
4. Hide the ring on the boat and be looking for an item and have her help in the appropriate area.

#11 ·
You guys crack me up...shes definitely the one I want to be with the rest of my life, no questions about it!

Is it that obvious that shes taller than me? haha dont worry im used to it, and of course there is beer in the photo, mmmm, and whos checkin out my butt?? hmm

I am just going to wing it when I get out in the water...but might have to do a beach now cuz its not looking good as of now...still got 2 weeks tho.

#14 ·
I hope you find someone to help you with this- I would definitely do it but I recently moved my boat up to Big Bear lake so I could rebuild my trailer.

Good luck! Maybe ask at local sailing clubs, or yacht clubs? If you found a race boat to volunteer crew on, perhaps the captain would be inclined to do this for you after knowing you?

#15 ·
Does anyone even know of some good sailing clubs or marinas to call and see if they have any sailors that they know of that would help, i called a few places but they all want me to rent/charter a boat for hundreds of dollars and i cant spend that much....the ring was enough haha

casioqv, you have any friends you can pass this along to that are still down here?

#17 ·
Best of luck dude. I hope someone steps up for you!

Jim

#18 ·
I asked The Admiral to marry me by sailing her past a sign on the beach. I used a wedding aisle runner, and doubled it up for two lines of text. I painted the message on it (Make sure you use the paint that will work with the runner plastic)

She wasn't wearing her glasses, so it took a couple passes at the sign before she noticed it. She didn't say anything for a while, which was a might uncomfortable. Later she told me that she was waiting for me to get on my knee. I was busy sailing the boat that was definitely too shallow for comfort.

22 years and 4 sailboats later, we're still married.

Good luck!

David

#20 ·
First - don't dismiss CP. He usually speaks from experience.:rolleyes:

Second - that's not a beer, it's a Corona:puke. Calling Corona a beer is like calling the Hunter Edge a yacht. I'm always surprised at how many people don't know how the tradition of putting a lime in the neck got started...

Third - I hope that something gels in the next week for you. There are a lot of boats in Newport Beach, CA. I suggest posting a flyer (print out your first post) in some of the local marinas and yacht clubs.

Good luck!

#21 ·
I don't...but I have a hunch it involves pee water or something...and baring that gays or something like that.

Cant stand the things in my beer personally..regardless of its origin.

#22 ·
Well, there are a number of explanations; none of them seem to be really agreed on.

As for me, if forced to drink Corona, I like the lime (or lemon) just to make the skunky taste go away.

But then again, I'm not much of a beer guy to start with. On the other hand, serve me up just about any Canadian whiskey, or a really good bourbon (Maker's Mark) and it's all good. :)

Still got my fingers crossed for you to find a boat, but as I'm boat-less and 2500 miles away, I'm not much help.

#23 ·
Yea yea its a corona, and this was a wedding and free and i like it....with the lime....to kill the taste yes haha:) drank one till i realized they had other "better" beers and wine

anyways ive got a few plan B's lined up now which wont be near as cool but i wanna be prepared, we walked down the boardwalk last night to the end of the harbor/wedge and it was gorgeous and got me more excited to get out on the water!

Ive got some help but nobody with a boat yet. I think the rinf will be here in less than 2 weeks so its crunch time. I think i might print off something and put it in some of the marinas if they let me to see if i can flag a few nice people.

Keep em coming friends! and Thanks!

#24 ·
To solve the mystery...
In Mexico, a lime was lodged neatly inside the lip of the bottle to keep those warm climate insects from finding their way inside of one's beer. Then came along us silly American tourists. We thought the lime was actually supposed to be put inside to flavor the beer, which obviously caught on.
...And I REALLY hope that someone on the left coast comes through for you.

#25 ·
over 1000 views and nobody sails out in southern california, or doesnt want a little company once and a while?

Im getting desperate here, i might be renting one of the duffy boats instead if this doesnt work out

please dont let it come to that, help a guy out!

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.