SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Labor Day Weekend - still coming down from my high

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
WOW, after a hot & humid July and August this past weekend on the Chesapeake was perfect, I'm still on a high :D

Saturday we sailed from Rock Creek down to the Rhode River. Winds were awesome, in the 20's with gust in the high 20's. The temps were in the 80's, low humidity, and just darn near perfect weather for sailing. There must have been a 1000+ boats sailing outside Annapolis! We were on a beam reach most of the way with a single reef in the main and jib, until the Bay Bridge when headed up into the mouth of the West/Rhode Rivers. It wasn't until I saw the sail rip just above the first batten did I put in a second reef (nothing a little sail tape cant hold for a while). The boat gained about a knot with the second reef :cool:, ha! The boat loves a beam reach, we averaged 6.8 knots and topped out at 7.8 I think. We set anchor just off High Island in a somewhat crowded anchorage. Later, chef2sail and his lovely wife joined us and we enjoyed some great boat talk late into the evening, accompanied by a wonderful fireworks display...who knew?

Sunday, we all woke to a cool morning breeze. After several cups of coffee and some breakfast we said good bye to Dave & Donna (sorry you had to work Monday, wtf, freaking congressmen) and took a visit to the little island with the kids. We contemplated staying in the Rhode for another day, but said nay, lets go enjoy another nearly perfect day of sailing. We choose to head into the Magothy and ended up in Broad Creek. Really sucks there, don't go, I promise ;) . Winds were a little weird Sunday, you would get a gust in the high teens..then nothing, lots of sail trimming but we had fun. Elizabeth (6 yrs old) enjoyed helping me grind away while the admiral yelled orders at us all day from the helm! Na, j/k ;) The sun on the water was beautiful! Wish we had taken some pictures but we were all having to much fun sailing. We set the anchor just inside the creek and cooked up some curried chicken and shrimp, one of the girls favorite meals. We felt a little bad since there was a rather large raft up downwind of us whom had to bear the smell of the curry cooking...oh well :D. The best entertainment of the evening was watching a couple try and anchor their new boat, a Chaparral something. I mean this was freaking hilarious...he came in and looked around for a second, sent the wife up to the fore-deck to drop the anchor. He was stern to the wind mind you, she dropped it as he throttled froward and powered right over top of it. Then he backed up a little, and she yelled that there was a lot of slack. OMG, then he made her pull it up. After a few minutes of discussion while I sat in the dingy and watch with a front row seat, he had her go to the helm and they did it all over again. Once they had the anchor down and the wind turned the boat around...I kid you not, he went up to the bow, looked at the anchor/rode...and scratched his head as if he was baffled. I decided to wait to see if they would spend the night there before I said anything, thankfully they left around dusk. I bet he didn't have more than a 3:1 scope. Poor guy, I feel sorry for him a little, even more for his wife :(

Monday came with another perfect day! We could have sailed more direct course home but wanted to fully enjoy the day and sailed over to the Eastern Shore near Love Point before heading West to the Patapsco. Mondays winds were more consistent, sunny with high 80's I think...bla bla bla, just another awesome day to be sailing. The Admiral took the helm again while I grinded away up Rock Creek passing by MYC and White Rocks with full sail and about 20 degree heel with a nice tack just after MYC so we could sail around the green can into our creek.

All in all I don't remember a better weekend of sailing this year...it was just awesome. The boat performed flawlessly, I love my boat, I love my boat!!! We all had so much fun it's almost criminal I think. Days like those are ones we will not soon forget and realize just how fortunate we are to be able to share such great times together as a family! :D

So, if I haven't put you to sleep yet...how was your Labor Day weekend sailing? :laugher

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you had a great time!

My weekend sailing was good on Saturday. Kids and I on the my boat club's 26' Pearson for the afternoon. Winds were good and it was a bit chilly but, it was still a great afternoon of sailing. Hate having to bring her back by a certain time but, that's how it is when you don't own it.

Went back on Sunday for another run with the club boat and somehow someone who had the boat the evening before, after us, had done something odd with the reefing line. Sail would only go up about 3 feet. No matter what I could see or pull on, main would not go up. :eek:

So seeing as I was the only person who can drive the boat, and the only person who could go up to the mast and troubleshoot the issue... we re-attached the sail ties and motored back in. Wind likes to spin that Pearson so it was not the best idea to just let us drift. I sail on a lake that does have some shallow spots, marked at least, and I didn't want to run aground as I was trying to figure out what someone had done with the reefing line. :confused:

Got back to the dock and tried to pull the reefing line in a bit and it wouldn't move. I think somehwere under the sail it was cleated or tangled or something. Being in the boat club is great, only way I can afford to sail right now. But, people need to realize that they need to leave the boat in a usable condition... :mad: I left a note as I knew someone was using the boat that evening and I wanted to at least let them know to have a look. Anyway, at least we had fun on Saturday.

Hope you all had a good weekend on the water. :cool:

#3 ·
Glad you had a great weekend. We didn't sail at all this weekend, but did some home chores and some prep for our cruise next week. I had to glue some places to hold the floor in the dink for one thing. The repair turned out looking better than I expected, so if it holds up for this trip I may try to squeeze one more season out of the thing, but if not, I'll be looking for a new dink before next spring. I also picked up a ratcheting block and extended the furling line back to the pushpit, so it can be worked from the helm or cockpit. The one way feature of the ratcheting block will be a help when you want to furl but still have some pressure on the sail.

We're hoping for a continuation of the great weather we've had to spend a long week exploring the bay.

We plan to post updates and pictures as we can, partly so the house sitter knows where we are.

#4 · (Edited)
My weekend in TX.
Friday night race from Port Aransas to Port Mansfield.
Friday night we had winds of 15kts with guest to 30kts, seas 4' to 8'.
The winds were N to NE but shift all night to make my first offshore run one to remember. We back winded the main a few time and watch as are quick release shackles explode past us sending the boom into a violent swing over our heads.
Finished third in class out of 4 boats, the J boats won again.
Partied Saturday, well as much one can after being awake for 24hrs.
Sailed back Sunday/Monday morning with winds 20kts guest 0ver 30kts, seas 6' building to 15'. The boat would not fall off in those conditions (crew knowledge) so we sailed in to Port A as salty sailboat racers with sleep as our prize.
Boat, 72 cal 29'.
GPS said top speed was 14.2kts,I dont believe that but there were times it ran like a speed boat.
240nm from dock to dock,(rockport tx)
10'/15' gulf wave are big and steep and close together.
If the preventer breaks duck and wind vanes can spin like a top.
I still hurt.
CAN I DO AGAIN PLEASE.:D

#5 ·
I probably drove right by you. I sailed a boatload of co-workers over to the West River for lunch on the water, and then out in the Bay, RTP at around 6pm, passing by High Island.

FYI, the community puts that fireworks show on, every Labor Day weekend, on Saturday, so you could do it every year if you really enjoyed it.

#6 ·
I sedcond the Chefs comments. We had a great sail Saturday flying down the bay with a full main...firled up jib..doing 7+-9 knotts. Was a great time anchored with Chef and his three women. The kids are so inquisitive and well mannered. Sunday was a repeat in the opposite direction with less gusts....crystal blue sky. Chef dont tell the people about Broad Creek..let them all go to Eagles Nest. I want to buy the glass house on the hill there.

Low humidity...good wind....great company....good wine....fireworks.... what not to like

Bubblehead...chef and I were rafted/anchored in the back way in....south of High island

Dave.

#10 ·
Poor T37Chef lost it so long ago, that he doesn't even remember it happening... :laugher :laugher

#8 ·
I did Eagles Cove on Saturday! Then went up to Fairlee on Sunday and flew back down the Bay Monday Morning and hit the Magothy at about 1pm.

Fairlee was really really crowded.. but fun! Eagles... was.. well Eagles. I hope you enjoyed the rifle range! :)

I'm sure I passed you out there Shawn! There were loads of boats out.

Great weather. :D

#11 ·
Yes, we saw you and immediately turned the opposite way. LOL

What the hell were you thinking going to Fairlee on a holiday weekend???
Ain't never done been there before! Wow. It was a traffic jam getting in and out of there on Sunday afternoon. It's already crazy with the current in that little gap! Can you imagine what it was like with a boat 20 ft in front of you and 20 ft. behind you? (I was completely distracted by the views of girls in bikini's... only ran aground 3 times.)

:D

#12 ·
Fairlee...yikes

Last time in there we went in under main and power and the crude gold chainers on the beach in chaits with rating boards gave us a 9.5. We heard them remarking ( you are so close you could hear a whisper) I did think you were allowed to come in here under sail must be a dumb ass sailor....DUHHH.

As far as th bikinis..they were distracting...many beauties...i had to make sure the admiral did see me drooling.....problem was not alkl should have had them on.... some of those powerboat women looked like hippos with thongs on.....and the smell...ugh

Dave

#13 ·
We sailed/motored over to St Michaels on Sunday, flukie 4-12kts winds mostly on the stern with 160 deg shifts. The wind settled in once we were going down the Miles River and we passed a big boat that was off or port side by close to a mile, then he headed more into the wind towards us, then passed us. It was then I realized it was a 45-50' Swan :D

What the hell were you thinking going to Fairlee on a holiday weekend???
I counted over 60 masthead anchor lights in the outer anchorage at St Mikes where we we anchored, way way out. :eek:

Monday was a gift of a day, 15-23 kts @ 60-45 deg, we made it back in 3½ hours doing 7-8 kts and sailed past countless boats including a trawler or 2 :laugher

#14 ·
I counted over 60 masthead anchor lights in the outer anchorage at St Mikes where we we anchored, way way out. :eek:
Holy Crap! You think that kind of crowd will be out next week? If there is any chance the anchorage will be that full, I'm leaning towards changing my itenerary so I don't get to St Mike's until Sunday or Monday even.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.