I WILL TRADE YOU the use of my sailboat for a slip and storage - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Well... While your offer is still less than tempting I will not ridicule it. I will say that you would have better luck advertising in Marinas, CraigsList, FaceBook and such in YOUR AREA. You have a much better shot I believe than trying it on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillerDillerSchwill View Post
Thanks to SmackDaddy and BFS Gear for not acting like a little brat in second grade.
Dude, I'm a softy. And I'm in 4th grade so I'm way more mature than these morons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-09-2010

steel is on a distinguished road
Was the author of this thread a former politician or lawyer?

My goodness that's quite a lot of requirements. Can't take the boat to another dock to spend the night at your friend's house? wow!

I would be like "You can use my boat for a certain time of year if you pay for the storage. You are responsible for damage to it, and I may need to use the boat at any time, and when I do, I will give you 3 day ahead of time notice, so I need some contact information from you in case I need to get a hold of you. You must always be able to have the boat within this 20 mile area within the 3 days notice, in case I need to use it."

See the thing is, if you're going to let someone use your boat, you need to trust them regardless. If they are going to abuse or steal your boat, they are going to do so regardless of how many rules you have.

Old 09-09-2010

diogenes726 is on a distinguished road
I recant my sarcastic reply. Now that you throw in a couple of bottles of wine, that changes everything. Just what are the physcotropic qualities in that home brew, anyway??
Old 09-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thrilleró

You're asking a lot without really offering much in return. Good luck with that. Most deals work because they BENEFIT BOTH PARTIES... your deal is pretty damn one-sided...in your favor.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-10-2010

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
I see some real doozies on Craigslist once in a while. I realize the economy is slow, but some people just don't get it.

One ad was for help installing kitchen cabinets, a marble counter top, and an island. The guy wanted someone who was well experienced with finish carpentry. You needed to provide references and photos of your work.

In return, the owner would take you and one guest aboard his 30 Catalina for an afternoon sail. Lunch would be provided.

Old 09-10-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Guess it takes all kinds. $1,000s worth of work for an afternoon of sailing. WTF?

Good luck on your 16 footer offer dude. Personally I think it's a crap deal. Taking the sex and partying out of the equation cinched it for me.
Old 09-10-2010

mpickering is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillerDillerSchwill View Post
The trailer would only be used for taking the boat out, putting it in, and for storage. The boat is already on the water at Barnegat Bay. I would sail her to her new location. you got it now. good.
Answers my questions, Thriller. Thanks.

To you, your request may seem reasonable given the state of the economy. But look at it from the other side. For example, requesting a third party provide a suitable trailer. That's not an insignificant expense. I've known people to throw away boats just to get the trailers they are sitting on. Why should I provide a trailer for a boat that I don't own? Especially since you'll be sailing her into the slip. Why should I absorb that additional expense just to provide you with a slip for your boat?

You may think use of the boat is a fair trade. Even if I don't have a boat in my slip, it wouldn't look that fair to me having to outlay money to satisfy your requirements. The cost of acquiring even a used trailer would likely exceed what it would cost to charter a comparable daysailer for the number of hours that it would probably be used. $80 per four hours is such a rate in my area for a 16 foot Flying Scot. Price out the cost of a good used or new trailer for a 16 foot daysailer and compare. That's a lot of charters I can be doing. Probably more than the entire month of October, at least.

Do you see the point I'm trying to make? And others here?

It isn't the offer that's the problem; it's your expectations. Perhaps someone is out there who might agree to your terms. If you find that person, come here and prove us all wrong. There's no harm in trying to find an arrangement that will work in your favor. But it has to work in the other person's as well and you may think that offering them the use of the boat is fair, but from a value perspective, it isn't. The other party is expected to pay a lot upfront for that use. Direct costs for a trailer and indirect costs in terms of the value of in-water dockage that you would otherwise have to pay for somewhere else.

I just think you're placing way too much value on the use of the boat. Especially when for that class of boat with a little effort, I can find sailing trips out cheap or free if I'm willing to travel a bit.

I think if you lower your expectations you might have better luck. For example, removing the demand for a trailer and/or dry storage. If you're expecting someone to provide you a slip rent-free (lots of waterfront owners rent their slips out if they don't own boats or have sufficient space for several), you shouldn't expect much in return. You shouldn't expect to find a "Sugar Slip Daddy".

Best of luck in your search.

Matt
Star #6100
Annapolis, MD

Last edited by mpickering; 09-10-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Came into this thread late, but man, I enjoyed it! TDS, I can't imagine anyone signing up for that. OK, maybe someone whose life has just been so free and easy up to now that they feel the need of a big bucket of obligation and rules to balance things out.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-10-2010

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I'm still wonderin' about the sex thing.

Is it that I can't have sex with YOUR girlfriend on the boat, is that the problem?

What about that wine... If I can have the wine, can I get your girlfriend drunk? Then have sex with her, what... off the boat? That wouldn't be against the rules would it? It is your wine after all.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.