SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What's up with motoring when you can sail? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/68086-whats-up-motoring-when-you-can-sail.html)

ilikerust 09-08-2010 08:41 AM

What's up with motoring when you can sail?

So over Labor Day weekend, I moved my new (to me) 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 from Kinsale, VA to Queens Creek, VA. Sunday we left Kinsale and motored/sailed down to the Great Wicomico near Reedville. Winds weren't great, so we ended up motoring part of the way.

But Monday, the winds out in the Chesapeake Bay were fantastic as soon as we left the Great Wicomico. We sailed like mad all day long, all the way down to the entrance to Hills Bay by Gwynn Island.

There were lots of other sailboats out there in the Bay, but the thing that perpelexed us was the number we saw motoring with bare sticks! The wind and weather were just about as perfect as you could want for a day of really great sailing out there on the Bay, so why the hell were these people motoring on a sailboat? :confused:

And I'm not talking about people motoring directly into the wind, either - we saw different boats on different points of sail, including ones that could have been making just as good (or maybe even better) time with the sails out - motoring!

Made me think that maybe they need to rethink the type of boat they really want to have.

erps 09-08-2010 09:29 AM

We were able to catch up and sail past a motoring sailboat two weekends ago. That was fun. I'm guilty of motoring when I should be sailing though too. Usually wind on nose or only anticipate a nice enough breeze for 15 minutes or so. I promise to get more sailing in when we're retired, but for now my sailboat is still economical to run, even if I'm motoring.

deniseO30 09-08-2010 10:53 AM

There are apparently many people (often more mature couples) that travel the bay with lots of time to go here and there. some never sail. never even talk about sailing but have sailboats.. (nice large ones too) quite a few seem to have the double enders.. Westsail?

Then there are people that only sail in certain conditions that may not always be evident to sail no matter what junkies. Up here on the river, some just motor for awhile into the wind. then come back with the wind..
Lately I've been trying to tack with the mainsail only if the winds a bit higher. since the main is self tending.. add the motor and I get even better speed.

A point I'd (with all due respect) try to make is never compare what "they" do to yourself. You don't know them, their motives, comfort levels.. etc.

:)

sailingdog 09-08-2010 10:59 AM

Also, motoring can be an option if you're not sure about how to handle the boat in a given set of conditions, or need to make your destination by a specific time, etc....

Another point, a lot of delivery captains will not sail the boat. It isn't their job to sail the boat, but to get it from point a to point b as quickly and safely as possible.

smackdaddy 09-08-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikerust (Post 641208)
So over Labor Day weekend, I moved my new (to me) 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 from Kinsale, VA to Queens Creek, VA. Sunday we left Kinsale and motored/sailed down to the Great Wicomico near Reedville. Winds weren't great, so we ended up motoring part of the way.

But Monday, the winds out in the Chesapeake Bay were fantastic as soon as we left the Great Wicomico. We sailed like mad all day long, all the way down to the entrance to Hills Bay by Gwynn Island.

There were lots of other sailboats out there in the Bay, but the thing that perpelexed us was the number we saw motoring with bare sticks! The wind and weather were just about as perfect as you could want for a day of really great sailing out there on the Bay, so why the hell were these people motoring on a sailboat? :confused:

And I'm not talking about people motoring directly into the wind, either - we saw different boats on different points of sail, including ones that could have been making just as good (or maybe even better) time with the sails out - motoring!

Made me think that maybe they need to rethink the type of boat they really want to have.

It's pure sacrilege. If I see stuff like that I start taunting and throwing eggs as I sail by.

ilikerust 09-08-2010 11:08 AM

Yeah, I suppose...

We also sailed past a very nice, larger, pretty modern sailboat with a whole mess of people in the cockpit, that was basically on a broad reach, with both main and headsail up. But they had the boom pulled in tight and centered over the boat and the headsail very close-hauled.

They were plodding along at maybe 3 knots, whereas if they had had their sails properly set, they would easily have been doubling that. That also seemed odd - kinda wondering whether they knew what they were doing.

My buddy was telling me of a guy he knew who bought himself a sailboat without knowing the first thing about sailing and just went out there and did it. If it started blowing too much, he would just drop all sails and float around until the wind died down a bit, then hoist the sails back up. He apparently did this for a long time, even making some deep water crossings, using this method, until someone asked him "why don't you reef your sails when the wind gets too high?" The guy gave him a blank stare - he had no idea what reefing was and was very surprised to learn you could reduce sail area, rather than just dropping the sails completely.

ilikerust 09-08-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 641251)
It's pure sacrilege. If I see stuff like that I start taunting and throwing eggs as I sail by.

RIGHT! See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. :D

MJBrown 09-08-2010 11:12 AM

Don't discount the possibility that thay had been sailing but for whatever reason went to motor only. There are times when I switch to motor because I'm close to my destination and found a convenient time to strike the sails. As I motor by others sailing I often think they're looking at me like I'm nuts. Even had one guy comment on the VHF. Had he be with me 20 mins earlier he wouldn't have made the comment.

deniseO30 09-08-2010 11:15 AM

Is bringing lots of eggs next time she's on the bay:D

smackdaddy 09-08-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJBrown (Post 641256)
Don't discount the possibility that thay had been sailing but for whatever reason went to motor only. There are times when I switch to motor because I'm close to my destination and found a convenient time to strike the sails. As I motor by others sailing I often think they're looking at me like I'm nuts. Even had one guy comment on the VHF. Had he be with me 20 mins earlier he wouldn't have made the comment.

Sounds like that was rust on the vhf. You didn't find any egg stains on your boat did you?