Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010

oscarzulu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to oscarzulu
My brother and I did exactly like Tommays with a 35'ish, except that it was on a jeep wrangler... We brought it up from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale's Sailor Man via 1-95.
We called local law enforcement to check on the legality of the move and we were told that as long as there were flags on it, then we were good to go.

I forget now some of the things that we wished that we had written on the mast, so you may want to bring along a dry erase marker so that you can answer some of those stares...
Old 09-12-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Remember reading an article on this in a sailing magasine.
It was done as per pic of van and trailer-only difference was mast was hung below supports on both van and trailer so totally free to articulate on corners.
Worth remembering if you have a front or rear overhang.Seem to recall putting out my house window with my windsurfer mast many years ago!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I carried a 30' mast from Seattle to Vancouver on the boat trailer and left the boat in the water. The trailer had 3 sets of bunks to suport the mast so that it would not bend during transport. This mast was for a 26' boat so I find it hard to comprehend a 32' mast for a 23' boat unless it might be keel stepped because mine is deck stepped. A long boat trailer with bunks is the safest mode of transport.
Old 09-13-2010
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
I hauled my 28' mast on the empty boat trailer. I used a 2 X 6 on edge fastened across the bunk boards as a yoke to support the aft end. I cut a notch in the yoke that was the same shape as the mast cross-section to keep it from twisting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
I carried a 30' mast from Seattle to Vancouver on the boat trailer and left the boat in the water. The trailer had 3 sets of bunks to suport the mast so that it would not bend during transport. This mast was for a 26' boat so I find it hard to comprehend a 32' mast for a 23' boat unless it might be keel stepped because mine is deck stepped. A long boat trailer with bunks is the safest mode of transport.
It's is keel stepped. Otherwise my pop top wouldn't work to well!

I've ordered my Thule components for my racks and will be using a trailer to haul/support the rest of the mast. Should work out ok. If I had a full size truck i'd be doing what Tommays did.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 09-14-2010

serenespeed is on a distinguished road
How are you going to allow for the mast to slide?

As you turn, the end of the trailer will get closer to the front of your tow vehicle.

Is it a straight tow?

Edit: missed the link below the photo...

Quote:
The trailer simply holds the mast up and allows the mast to slide inside a greased track. The sliding track we used here was just some greased teak strips lashed to the mast.

Last edited by serenespeed; 09-14-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
I think you'll need to rig up a way for the mast to poviot on both the trailer end, and the roof end. ffiill's comment about hanging it sounds the easiest, build a tripod rig that fits on the roof rack, and hang the mast from the top, with a downhaul to hold it tight so it doesn't bounce up, and something similar on the trailer. support the mast with a long 2x4 or 2x6 so it doesn't bend from being supported only on the ends, and you should be fine.

p.s. don't forget the red flags on the ends. they are required in many states...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
I think you'll need to rig up a way for the mast to poviot on both the trailer end, and the roof end. ffiill's comment about hanging it sounds the easiest, build a tripod rig that fits on the roof rack, and hang the mast from the top, with a downhaul to hold it tight so it doesn't bounce up, and something similar on the trailer. support the mast with a long 2x4 or 2x6 so it doesn't bend from being supported only on the ends, and you should be fine.

p.s. don't forget the red flags on the ends. they are required in many states...
It will pivot on one of those cheap ball bearing seat bases you'd use in a fishing boat. I'll have it built and will be able to test it with my current mast before I set out to get the new mast.

Old 10-11-2010

Here's the finished product! It's drives great and articulates like it should. We took our old mast out for a shake down run. No problems whatsoever.

A closer look at my contraption. It pivots on a 3/8" bolt. I used a pressure treated 2x6 board.

To clamp the mast in, I run a piece of all thread through the top of the angle brackets and squeeze the mast in. Of course I wrap carpet around the mast being careful not to over tighten and crimp it. Works like a charm!

Old 10-11-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
NICE job

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat