SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crab pots, schmab Pots...try dodging Icebergs!!

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  downeast450 
#1 ·

The wife and I did our longest/farthest trip yet over the Labor Day holiday with a trip around to Aialik Bay. Not much wind (if you don't count the 28G35 on the last leg home) but it was warm and sunny which made for a really nice time.

Here's some more photos.

Enjoy

See less See more
#2 ·
Aren't those technically growlers??? :D

#5 ·
Yes but you have no problems trying to find ice at a remote anchorage. <grin>

#9 ·
In response to a PM request heres some info on my photography:

I use a Canon 50D with Canon lenses or a Canon 980 IS.

I use the lowest ISO/ASA setting I possibly can. I do not like grain/noise so I work hard to shoot with a low ISO setting. It is rare for me to use higher than ISO 400, although my Canon gives good results in some conditions with ISO as high as 3200. The shots on this trip were shot at ISO 100 and ISO 200. I used 200 at times to give me that one extra stop of shutter speed to help reduce blur from camera motion.

I always shoot in RAW format to get as much data as possible. It means a bit more work "processing" the images but to me it's worth it in the end.

For most shooting I use auto focus. With poor lighting I sometimes have to manually focus or when doing some macro shots I manually focus...otherwise I let Canon do the focusing. My camera does allow me to pick the focus point used by the camera and I will sometimes focus on a specific point then recompose to make the shot.

Shooting Mode: I never use full auto. If in a situation where I think I might have to shoot very quickly I will set the camera to Program (on the 980 I use Program mode since that camera is more limited in what you can do) and let it make the choice on exposure. Otherwise I select either Aperature or Shutter priority depending on the situation. For the shots in Aialik I used Shutter priority.

Exposure: I set the camera to under expose all shots 1/3 to 2/3 stop...sometimes more. With digital cameras if you overexpose and blow out an area you have just white...the data is gone. If underexposed you have a chance of fixing your mistake so I try to error on the underexposed side.

Processing:

I use Photoshop CS4 to process the RAW images. If I do things right with the camera all I have to do is crop...but what I usually do adjust exposure, brightness and contrast so that the image "looks" right, looks like what I remember it as. For a lot of the shots in this gallery I also used some adjustment tools to knock down the exposure on the sky a bit. Shooting dark blue water, dark green mountains and a light blue sky can be a stretch at times. I will also usually sharpen the images a bit and add a bit of saturation, but I don't up the saturation to unreal levels. The colors you see in these photos is what we were seeing from the boat.

I'm very much an amateur photographer. The cameras and software I use are capable of far more than I ever get out of them.

I'm glad you guys like the photos. Y'all should come up here and take some of your own. <G>

#12 ·
Stunning photos, lovely boat and crew... one day we'll get there.

#17 ·
I really appreciate the photos, I would have loved to have seen some done last night over the glacier with the Supermoon lighting it up, do you have any way to do really good low light photography with that camera. Amazingly enough I have not bought a good digital SLR, yet, but before I leave I am going to get one, and then I will have my little Kodak digital for some stuff and the good one for other stuff.

I am going to end up down in southern Chile, and I know I will want photos and I will be glad to share them...or is that called gloating haha. Either way I will share them, and I really do appreciate you sharing these. They are so beautiful, they remind us all of why we go through everything it takes to get to the point where we can become liveaboard cruisers.

Mark

#20 ·
Dale, your photos are excellent. You have a great eye and you do subject matter that I really enjoyed looking at. You get extra credit for getting so much mileage out of a peanut in the ones with that squirrel :)

Have you sailed much outside Alaska? I am sure that you have beautiful photos from everywhere you go, and I would love to see them. I looked at the ones you have in the links, and if they are a sample I would say you are way above average.

#21 ·
Dale,

Thank you for the beautiful photos and for re energizing our intentions to make it out to the PNW / Alaska and spend a couple of seasons. So much to do so little time. We need a boat up there somewhere, too. Retired with the time. The Admiral has another two years to go. Keep sharing the motivation.

Down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.