SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

LED Stern Light

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  msulc 
#1 ·
I plan on upgrading to an LED stern light on my 30' sloop. The choices seem to be an Aqua Signal 32502 with a SS cover 32532 or an Atwood. Unfortunately my local chandleries don't stock them so I will be making the purchase sight unseen. Do you have any firsthand observations on these choices? I have an Aqua Signal steaming/decklight which has been satisfactory but not as corrosion resitant as my Perko running lights.

#2 ·
If your current fixture is in decent shape could you not just swap the bulb for an LED replacement? I think that Aqua Signal is better quality than Atwood overall.

#4 · (Edited)
The LED replacement bulbs are mostly NOT USCG CERTIFIED in any fixture. As such, you could be in serious trouble if you get into an accident.

Trisstan-

It depends on what the boat is doing. If the boat is under power, it would require a stern light, a steaming light and red and green sidelights. If it is under sail, it requires a stern light and red and green sidelights.

On smaller boats under sail, the sidelights and sternlight can be replaced by a tricolor-which are a solid red, green and white light in a single fixture at the mast top.

On smaller boats under power, the stern light and steaming light can be combined as a single all-around white light, but the sidelights are STILL REQUIRED.

You really should read up on what the COLREGS require. NONE allow a boat to have flashing RED, GREEN and WHITE lights AFAIK.

#8 ·
The LED replacement bulbs are mostly NOT USCG CERTIFIED in any fixture. As such, you could be in serious trouble if you get into an accident.
The LED replacement bulbs that I just put on Legacy have been certified. Take a look at this link.

However, that is a relatively recent press release, only 6 months ago.

#5 ·
I am sorry, let me edit my post.
"A sailboat less than 20 meters in length, while underway under sails alone (SD), may show a tri-color light at or near the top of its mast. This combines the sidelights and the sternlight; no other navigation lights are shown. This light must not be used under power, whether sails are hoisted or not."
So yes SD I had forgotten about the 'under power' part. The book also goes on to say: "A set of conventional lights would be needed for use when the boat was under mechanical power."
Sailboats less than 23 ft long should carry normal sidelights and sternlight.
I don't know what AFAIK means but from what I am reading unless I am reading it wrong it DOES allow for the green/red/white light, though the "flashing" part is not mentioned.
Thanks for the correction.

#6 ·
The current issue of Sail Magazine has an article on this subject. Might be worth your read. Among other take aways, if you have a tricolor at the masthead, it may not make sense to go with LEDs for the regular running lights. The thinking being that since you would only be using these while under power and presumably charging your batteries, the added efficiency is not as much of a draw (ahem), and the additional cost of LEDs is significant.

#7 ·
We replaced the Anchor Light 2 years ago and the stern light this year. The light that we purchased was excellent and the same brand (can't recall which) as the masthead light. Both are very well constructed, bright, and reliable (as you would expect from a diode). We've used the stern light on several occasions this year including the overnight MD Governor's Cup. I recommend this light as an excellent choice.

New LED transom mount stern light 03201: eBay Motors (item 200399228255 end time Sep-22-10 13:35:20 PDT)

#11 ·
We have the aquasignal 32 bow and stern lights. They shine great and definitely save battery power at night (which then gets consumed by the autopilot anyway).

The installation was a bit awkward. You will probably need to drill to holes into whatever you are installing the lights into. One for the screw that holds the light (I thought this was a bit flimsy but it has worked fine) and the other for the wires. The wires are pretty small and need to be heat shrinked to the wires from your boat. I have my lights on my bow pulpit, so I had to add extra insulation around the wires since they are exposed.

I ended up buying two of each in case a light went out. My beef with the leds is that you can't just replace the bulb. There are supposed to last for at least 10 years, but if you lose one at night and want to replace it, you need to take off the whole fixture, replace it with a new one, and redo the wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.