Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If your Javelin's main sail has a reef point then you should learn how to rig it with a reef. If not Denise's advice to just use the main without the jib is good.

Many 1 Class dinghy racers do not have reef points and they may not be allowed by class racing rules. That doesn't mean you couldn't add a reefing system as long as you don't use it while racing.

I was out on a Sunfish this summer in 15 - 20 kts and it was a blast! Lots of hiking out and very wet but getting the hull up on a plane is a priceless experience.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Doesn't matter St, your better at everything then everyone else. why don't you try "fight club for sailors" I wizz sitting down!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2010
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
errrkay - happy wizzing!
Old 09-09-2010

mpickering is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, I've been out on Snipe dinghies with two on board weighing around 360 pounds in small craft advisories of 18 knots gusting 25. Waves were building to four foot with short chop inshore. Kept the boat upright. Rigging humming upwind and boat surfing on the downwind runs. Other than getting very wet, the boat handled fine. It all depends on your comfort level.

The same conditions saw several Lasers doing synchronized death rolls and a couple pitchpoled. The two-man boats with a decent crew onboard handles the heavy winds just fine. Strangely, I'm not comfortable taking my Catalina 27 out in those conditions but have no issue being on a dinghy.

Get out and have fun. The sail area of the Snipe is 128 sq. feet, by the way, just a few feet more than your Javelin. Find a heavier friend and go sailing!

Only advice I can offer is don't jibe in those conditions until you've practiced it in less windy conditions. A crash jibe in winds that strong can break things like booms and masts. Do chicken jibes or tack downwind.

Matt
Star #6100
Annapolis, MD
Old 09-09-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste27 View Post
What kind of wind speeds to you usually reef at? Just curious... the only boats I sail on that you can even reef are 40'+ - the rest are obviously racers and it's just lots more rig tension, more outhaul, more cunnignham, more vang, more backstay, MORE backstay, ease sheet etc and HIKE!!!!

Full main + 100% blade makes for a fun day in 30! Even more fun when the kite goes up
Yes indeed, all good and fun, but clearly you aren't paying the bills. And the OP's talking about an O'day Javelin, not a high performance one design dingy.
Old 09-09-2010
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Yes indeed, all good and fun, but clearly you aren't paying the bills. And the OP's talking about an O'day Javelin, not a high performance one design dingy.
I wasn't trying to suggest it'd be a good idea in the Javelin! I was relating my general experience as part of trying to ask Denise about hers - an obviously failed attempt at trying to establish a bit of a rapport and find out more about a much cruisier world than I inhabit (and am starting to tire of)
Old 09-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that generally, you need to reef earlier in smaller boats... and that a 14' O'Day Javelin might need to reef in 13 knots of wind...some of it depends on how much experience you have at depowering a boat and some of it depends on how much movable ballast (crew) you have.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-09-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
And now for your viewing pleasure...

[IMG][/IMG]

this one looks like what the OP has in mind.

[IMG][/IMG]

my current "project"!
Old 09-10-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Many years ago, we had an O'Day Day Sailer II. It was equipped with roller reefing for the main, but the main was sheeted mid-boom.
That meant you had to have an optional "claw" to fit over the roller reefed main, to which you'd reattach the sheet.
As has been suggested any times here and other threads, practice reefing WAY BEFORE you might need it.
Have fun,
Paul
Old 09-10-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

the Jav must be one great boat, I found a site selling the tables of offsets for those that want to build them. (didn't save the site)

my current "project"!