Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
What's too windy for a dinghy sail?

I'm a newbie Javelin (14') skipper, and I'd like to keep from getting in over my head. Any quick and dirty rules of thumb for sailplans for different conditions?

My Main is 90 square feet
My Jib is 35

I'm looking at 15mph winds tonight, and wondering what to fly, or whether or not I should even go out there. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
What kind of water? It would be exciting in a 14ft boat for sure. Reef the main, let it out later if you feel you need more sail. It appears to be a fractional rig so maybe you don't need the jib if the air is real heavy.
Have fun!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Oh.. found this nice web site for your boat. lots of info there!

The O'Day Javelin Project

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Its really something you have to work up to in terms of finding your personal comfort level

Around here the wind builds for a while in the evening and it might start at 15 and peak up much higher for a few hours

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-09-2010
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hortBu5 View Post
I'm a newbie Javelin (14') skipper, and I'd like to keep from getting in over my head. Any quick and dirty rules of thumb for sailplans for different conditions?

My Main is 90 square feet
My Jib is 35

I'm looking at 15mph winds tonight, and wondering what to fly, or whether or not I should even go out there. What do you all think?
15 (so like 13kt) is fine, sail the thing! Ease, hike, trim... and skip the trim if you're not too comfortable with the power.

Reef?? it's a DINGHY you generally can't do such things! Do people here even read the OP's questions/comments or just spout off whatever they feel like?

Anyway, never sailed that particular boat but often times things get weird on dinghies when the correct sail plan (ie all of it) isn't up to balance things - you'll likely just end up with massive weather helm.

I say get out there and have fun - if you're new to the boat, don't go into full point mode and under-trim the main a bit to keep the power off... similarily don't run too deep so you keep the death rolls away and unless you're comfortable with it just do chicken jibes as needed. Get out there on the water, you'll probably find you have a great time, waiting for the perfect day sitting there on land is a good way to make sure you never go out - it'll always be too hot, or too cold, or it might rain in 5 hours, or I don't like the look of that creepy dog over there, or... you get the idea.

What other sailing experience do you have?
Old 09-09-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste27 View Post
Reef?? it's a DINGHY you generally can't do such things! Do people here even read the OP's questions/comments or just spout off whatever they feel like?
There ARE REEFS, in the MAIN SAIL, of the oday Javelin and yes, some people do read and yes some people look up the boat BEFORE commenting. errr spouting off,

Sheese!

My boat is for sale.

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-09-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2010
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
There ARE REEFS, in the MAIN SAIL, of the oday Javelin and yes, some people do read and yes some people look up the boat BEFORE commenting. errr spouting off,

Sheese!
Alirght - fair enough, my mistake. The fleets I've seen had no reef points and blocks in the middle of the boom - turns out you remove the blocks and rotate the boom... like I said, never sailed 'em and without doing so I guess you'd never know about the roller reefing - dinghies are usually all or nothing, or have different size rigs. I sail a 14' dinghy where the #1 rig is 45' high

Apologies for jumping off a bit but still... reefing in 13? Poor boat won't move!
Old 09-09-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Wouldn't make sense to not have some way to reef a day sailer even.. if your out there and the winds kick up you need to reduce sail somehow. OR should be able to. Exclusions being, racing only sails I guess. He's looking at 15 mph he said, and is unsure of his ability. Hell, I sail in winds now that scared me a few years ago.

My boat is for sale.
Old 09-09-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Dude just kick it out there. Go out and heel it to the max, if you tip, so what? It's still relatively hot in most places.
I will say this as far as dingy sailing. Sail until you hear the boat talking to you, it will be a humming noise with vinration from the centerboard and or rudder. That will tell you that you are reaching the max. If you continue to push past that then you have three things to look out for.
1. If your clips are plastic, they will begin popping off the mast.
2. If your clips are metal, they won't pop off the mast but you risk a tear in the sails.
3. You will end up keeling over which is actually a lot of fun in warm water.

Wind is not a major concern for dinghy sailling. Wave height is much more important. Of course I am not saying to go out in 25 knots with a 14' boat, I'm just telling you that you can. Just be mindful of what your dinghy is telling you.
Old 09-09-2010
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Wouldn't make sense to not have some way to reef a day sailer even.. if your out there and the winds kick up you need to reduce sail somehow. OR should be able to. Exclusions being, racing only sails I guess. He's looking at 15 mph he said, and is unsure of his ability. Hell, I sail in winds now that scared me a few years ago.
What kind of wind speeds to you usually reef at? Just curious... the only boats I sail on that you can even reef are 40'+ - the rest are obviously racers and it's just lots more rig tension, more outhaul, more cunnignham, more vang, more backstay, MORE backstay, ease sheet etc and HIKE!!!!

Full main + 100% blade makes for a fun day in 30! Even more fun when the kite goes up

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.