SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

mainsail issue

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
I had new sails made for my good old 1970 Pearson 26. International sailmaker had dimensions plus my actual sails to work from.

I can no longer raise the sail fully without bringing the metal wire part of the running rigging all the way down to the cleat. The boom is as low as it is can go. Nothing left in the downhaul.

What is the solution as I can not pull the luff tight enough.

Thanks, Greg :confused:

#4 ·
Possibly your main halyard is crossed over the topping lift? That happened to me once. it's hard to see too. did you or the sail maker do the measuring?

#5 · (Edited)
As indicated above, if the sailmaker is local it's time for a trip back to correct the issue - he/she should have measured your boat directly in any case. If you bought on-line... here's one of the problems you can run into.

If you have enough hoist (ie room at the top of the mast to achieve a proper hoist), I'd suggest you swap the halyard out for an all-rope replacement.. it will be a bit pricey but it may solve your problem and honestly you'll be glad you did.

To maximize the hoist that you will have, try using a low profile knot like the one shown here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...ated/67801-low-profile-main-halyard-knot.html

#6 ·
Whenever I have had new sails cut (only twice) the sailmaker delivered the new sail to the boat and bent it on to the spars, checked it and on one (cruising chute), went sailing with me to ensure it set right.

If the sail doesn't fit, call the sailmaker to your boat to sort it.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input. I will check to see if my halyard is crossed over the topping lift. The sailmaker is very reputable and not far from where I live, in NH. Since there were over over a thousand P26's built he had the schematics/dimensions... plus the old sails to go by. Though it is hard to see, it looks as though I have 6 to 8 inches left at the top of the mast. I will look into an all-rope replacement.

Is it common to have stranded wire and then rope for the main halyard?

#9 ·
Thanks for the input. I will check to see if my halyard is crossed over the topping lift. The sailmaker is very reputable and not far from where I live, in NH. Since there were over over a thousand P26's built he had the schematics/dimensions... plus the old sails to go by. Though it is hard to see, it looks as though I have 6 to 8 inches left at the top of the mast. I will look into an all-rope replacement.

Is it common to have stranded wire and then rope for the main halyard?
From your first post, it sounded like the sail luff was too long. Yet this post indicates its is 6 to 8 inches from the top of of the mast. I'm confused.

Yes, wire and rope halyards were common before low stretch line was available. If the change to an all line halyard will allow you to tension the luff properly, then it might be worth it. I would still talk to your sailmaker to see if he can resolve the issue.

#16 ·
Seems like good advice, I would take it one step further, lay the old sail on the ground and place the new one on top. As kindofblue suggests this will tell you if the new sail is "bigger" than the old one.

Just my 2 cents.

John

#15 ·
Possibly, but really only if the line you've chosen won't actually pass through... most don't sweat it otherwise despite the original intention for the sheave.

For instance with older/smaller systems (like rope/wire transition with thimbles rather than a clean nicely tapered rope/wire splice) where the rope was never intended to actually go over the sheave there may be clearance issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.