SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Labor Day Weekend Sailing

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cb32863 
#1 ·
Sailed Saturday and well Sunday was a cluster but that's all in the blog. So here are some pics from last Saturday's sail with my kids. There is a vid on my blog from the day too.... Thought I would share with you all.

Just a few shots my daughter took from the boat. She is our family Photographer/Videographer...

My son ready to dump the jib on a tack.

My daughter helping crew the boat.

All three of us...

Me being the skipper...

Was a cool, but very good day....

See less See more
#3 ·
Umquam Porro (in Latin) = 'Ever Forward'
Be careful what you wish for.
It has to be nice to use your club's Pearson 26' without having to pay all the Piper's costs that owning your own boat can bring.
Yes, it is nice to know that your own boat will be in the same condition that you last left it but there is a bit of a price tag to pay for having a boat that is yours, alone. Older boats like a Pearson 26' are wonderful boats but older boats also require a lot of TLC that would not necessarily fall on you as the renter or occasional user of it.
I'm still a fan of older boats and even more recent used boats but if you want to actually own your own boat then you should double the cost that your club charges for the privilege of having your own vessel. That is a modest estimate unless you can live with a trailer sailor and even these kinds of boats need maintenance and upkeep.
We had a great Labor Day sail on our own boat (yes, I actually have a boat partner) with our wives and there is nothing like it. Knowing your own boat and keeping everything in working order does not come cheap but it is rewarding on occasion.

#5 ·
Spent Saturday on LBI, Sunday re-rigged after Earl and sailed in the afternoon in 15-18 knots, Monday in 18-20 knots bopping along with just the main up.

Lots of powerboat chop on the bay though. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks with fewer boats on the bay. I really like the fall.

Jim

#6 ·
Thanks T37! :)

CalebD - I know what you are saying as owning my own boat could get very spendy. I am weighing the pluses and minuses on both sides of owning or staying with the boat club. One other lovely thing is we have one good sized lake in the cities here, which is the one I am on, and it's very "prestigious" to have a home or even a boat on the lake. 7 figure homes and slip fees around $180- $200 a foot for basically a 6 month season. If you are lucky that is and the snow doesn't come early or spring is late getting the ice out. Glad you had a great weekend!

Sounds like Wandering and Jim had a decent time too.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.