Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010

mattstamour is on a distinguished road
You can look forward to the sense of accomplishment of troubleshooting and resolving the issues you have as they come up. Not to mention the confidence gained in your boat and systems as it becomes part of you.

In the mean time, I purchased an annual towing contract from BoatUS. This of course, doesn't mitigate the need to safely operate at all times, but it can eliminate the late nights dhays referred to.

Noank, CT
Catalina 30
Hull #222
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I suppose one could purchase a small (3hp?) dinghy outboard, and transom mount- and keep it stored below for emergencies.

I usually sail engineless, or with just an electric trolling motor for docking but on a long offshore trip I'll keep my old 1967 Evinrude in the bottom of the cockpit locker for emergencies.

Although it's very difficult to mount a 50lb outboard in a big swell... I've done it, and hope I don't have to do it again!
Old 09-13-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I recently bought a 1975 Bristol 27. We motored it from Chicago to Milwaukee (about two 10 hour days). At the end of the first day the motor stalled a few times trying to get into gear, and smoked a bit. I have been dealing with a leaky head, and a lot of unknown rigging. So, yesterday we motored out of our mooring and after a few minutes the motor revs started oscillating. I turned quickly and went back to the mooring. Now after the worry of moving an unknown boat a long way, and dealing with a bunch of other new-old boat things, I am at a point that I don't have any confidence in the boat.

Have you ever felt like you can't trust your boat, and it scarred the crap out of you?
Welcome to the world of yacht ownership. Unfortunately, it seems that nearly every buyer of an older boat discovers some issue or another ex post facto and feels some disappointment, frustration and uncertainty. It goes with the territory, at least initially. You bought the boat but don't yet "own" it (although some might say it now own's you!).

In re your engine, I suspect 90% of engine problems are fuel related. EIther contaminated fuel itself because of water and gunk in the tank--which get's churned up when on a long trip and fouls the fuel filters; or a defective fuel delivery system. If you are not yet a good mechanic (you will become one if you keep the boat for very long and are not a wealthy dillitant), hire a good one to help you, at least initially, and learn from him/her. Cleaning/replacing filters, getting fuel polished and tanks cleaned, and even replaceing fuel pumps and lines and bleading systems isn't too complicated although, sometimes, a pain it the butt.

Likewise, if the head leaks, they really aren't that complicated and can be rebuilt pretty easily although some contortions may be necessary (and your 4-letter word vocabulary may be expanded in the process!).

Rigging is another matter and I suggest you leave that to a good rigger. The good news is that, given the size of the yacht, even if you have to replace all of the wire, it won't set you back all that much (although likely more than you counted on when you go into the process).

Despite the misgivings and initial frustrations and disappointments, if you stick with it, at some point you will find yourself anchored in some cove--maybe in Door County--enjoying a glass or cup of your favorite beverage and marveling at how fortunate you are. Then you will own your yacht.

FWIW...

PS: Matt's suggestion for a BoatUS Policy of towing insurance, above, is a good one--just in case.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 09-13-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: To add PS
Old 09-13-2010

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
I was just in the exact same place you are now Barquito. I bought my 27 aloha last January. Since this was my first boat it has been HUGE learning experience, but I’ll tell ya it has been worth every penny of it.
Every time I take my boat out I learn something new about it. How rig the sail better, when to use the vang, and what happens when I forget to release the topping lift. I have also learned how to rig an emergency water pump and how to get off a sand bar.

Go get a good manual for your motor. That is worth gold. Learn how to work on it
Get a good maintance manual for your boat. I am trying to get this one
Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo
That will help you learn all about your boats systems.

Since I have bought mine I have learned how to change engine zinc’s
(my mechanic couldn’t find it) Change the oil and filter. Re and re my cooling system. Re and re my fuel system including injector pump and Injector and I just finished doing new valves and a new head gasket. I have also learned with the help of others at my dock how to fiberglass and I’m about to start on the electrical.

In between all this work I have had incredible days sailing with family and friends worth a thousand times more than what I paid for the boat
I trust the boat and I’m starting to trust the work I do on it now.

Above all else have fun with it

Dennis
p.s ditto on the us boat towing. Up here its C-tow and it was the second thing I bought for the boat.

Last edited by snowdawg; 09-13-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Every sail is an adventure - you can learn from everything that happens. I've been sailing for almost 50-years and I'm still surprised from time to time and still learning. When sailing, most lessons are learned the hard way.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 09-13-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
Our C-26 was more of a gift so getting it survayed wasn't a thought when we moved it a few hundred nm's. The problems we have had could not have been forseen and I've fixed them as we go. I've never lost trust in out boat and know things will need to be done. I have already ripped my motor apart a few times.
Old 09-13-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstamour View Post
In the mean time, I purchased an annual towing contract from BoatUS. This of course, doesn't mitigate the need to safely operate at all times, but it can eliminate the late nights dhays referred to.
Excellent suggestion and something that I've done as well. In fact, even my Dad eventually got BoatUS insurance with a towing package.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Yeah, we found issues in our old boat, now 23 years old. Fixed some deck core, re-powered, re-built the propane system, etc... but in the end, the boat sails like a gem. It's fast, comfortable, and very well built. I don't think anyone, if they're honest, hasn't felt that " oh crap, my boat's going to sink out from under me" with their first boat with thru hulls, engine shaft, etc... for the first few sails. You'll get over it soon enough.
Old 09-14-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
I sort of like it when things break on my old boat.

Well, okay, I don't think I'd see the fun side of a standing rigging failure that cost me the mast, or of the transom disintegrating due to rotted core or something like that, but I've been sailing this boat hard and often this season and plenty of things have failed.

When they do, I need to figure out a way to repair or jury-rig things on the water. It's pretty satisfying to do that, and I always learn a lot.

I've had the headnocker for the mainsheet tear out of the boom, nav lights fail at night, various plastic sheaves disintegrate under load, the keel winch cable break, and lots of more minor things.

Most if not all of this would have been avoided if I had more experience and knew when to inspect which equipment for what sort of wear, but I don't have that experience and I need to get it somewhere, so welcome to the school of hard knocks. ;-)

I am having fun with it all and I don't make the same mistake twice.
Old 09-14-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have you ever felt like you can't trust your boat, and it scarred the crap out of you?
I initially like that, but now I'm starting to like my boat a lot better. Had a couple of scares with the motor, while out hours from home, but understand it much more, got home both under sail and motor and have and subsequently fixed things thus far.

She has brand new running rigging, and I'm very excited about a sail this weekend.