SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The Fantastic Sinking Boat by Julien Berthier

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  steel 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This boat is imitating an emergency situation, not unlike calling mayday over VHF or shooting flares as a prank. Other mariners are likely to put themselves in a difficult or dangerous situation trying to help when nothing is wrong.

It's a pretty silly/interesting art project, but I think it would be irresponsible to use it in public waterways and make people think your boat is really sinking.

#3 ·
Its been done before, Berthier is just a copy cat. I've seen dozens done by Hugo in Charleston 1989.

My favorite was at a floating dock marina on Lake Norman. It was not named by the artist but soon was called the stack pack w/sprinkles on top. Each time a blown away 22-27 footer hit the gas dock Hugo would remove the deck at the joint. Within a short period of time four were stacked up within each other very uniformly. The sprinkles were the icing on the cake. Those floating docks were fitted w/ 12' long styrafoam blocks. Hugo used all of the blocks in the marina. I started seeing the sprinkles about four miles before I got to the marina. But I couldn't even give it away...no London bankers in SC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.