Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010

radioguy is on a distinguished road
Cruising in extremely remote locations

Hey guys

I'm not looking to do this, but I'm just curious. Are there any ultra-remote islands out there where you could literally drop anchor, not see a single person around, and just live for a long time? It seems like with a watermaker, a fishing pole, and a nice solar array you could be self sufficient for a *very* long time.

Is pretty much every island "spoken for"?

Just curious
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
There are plenty of unihabitated remote islands left in the world, but the problem would be finding protection for a cruising sailboat. I'd wager that it would be more difficult to find some good, safe harbors where you won't see another person for a long, long time.

Palmyra Atoll in the Line Islands use to be exactly as you describe above. An occassional cruising boat would stop in, stay for a long time in total privacy and live off the island. However, the famous murders in 1974 changed the island and made it more popular. Today it is owned by the Nature Conservancy and has nearly year-round staff on the island, though cruising boats can still visit with permission.

The world's most remote island (as defined by distance from nearest land) is Bouvet Island in the southern Atlantic and it is definately NOT suitable as a cruising destination.

I've read of cruisers losing themselves for long periods in the Tuamotus and Cook Islands of the South Pacific. For that matter, their are a few islands in Lake Huron's North Channel where I cruised this summer that you could be alone all summer, except for the occasional boat passing by on the horizon.

It's all a matter of how isolated do you want to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010
Broad Reachin'

Check Wikipedia for "desert islands" as place to start looking for your own little slice of seclusion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2010

SaltyMonkey is on a distinguished road
There are a number of protected deserted islands in the south pacific, but you are absolutely not allowed on them because they are nature preserves, and your shoes, clothing, equipment, etc can deposit non-natural FX such as seeds and fungi that may disrupt the environment and the animal/bird life that live there. Thats a good thing.

I would suggest you focus on "civilized" islands that are not as mainstream as say Borabora. There are good remote anchorages and you arent too far away should you need supplies etc.
Old 09-14-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Unless things have changed, Palmyra is off limits as a nature conserve.

You can wiki Uninhabited Islands- which will give you a list. A lot don't have good anchorages unfortunately.
Old 09-14-2010
Broad Reachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeum View Post
Unless things have changed, Palmyra is off limits as a nature conserve.
Up to 2 private vessels at time are allowed to visit Palmyra for up to 7 days, not to exceed 6 vessels per month. Approval is required through the US Fish and Wildlife Service prior to visiting. See here for more details: Visiting - Palmyra National Wildlife Refuge

Old 09-14-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I think there are plenty of remote locations which are not that remote. Only a few days from somewhere if you need assistannce/food etc.

We often were anchored at an island for a week or more before another yacht turned up. (and then you feel crowded) A week is often plenty of time and we would feel like moving on.

We have a high volume watermaker and I would attempt fishing, but I wasnt as succesful at this as before.

I last refueled at the dock in Airlie Beach and havent since. I would need about 50-60 L to top up the tanks. So this way of life can be very economical.

Old 09-14-2010

steel is on a distinguished road
I think if you go up north in the summer you can find lots of remote places like this. Look at all the water Canada has!

The down side is that there seems to be an ongoing effort with the UN to take perfectly nice places, and rather large areas, and declare them off limits to humans. I hadn't really realized how serious this is until I recently studied it some more.
Old 09-14-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Today it is owned by the Nature Conservancy and has nearly year-round staff on the island
Don't you love this. In the name of political correctness, they block everyone to access the land which can be only use by a few so called researchers.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 09-14-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Don't you love this. In the name of political correctness, they block everyone to access the land which can be only use by a few so called researchers.
You can always purchase your own island, inhabit it, and then decide who can and can't use it.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on